View Single Post
Old 13th March 2013, 09:22

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
You make it look so easy, are you reading how to put engine together or do you just know?
Gary, I have put together quite a few engines (car & bike) over the years, so they are all a similar process. I have the Triumph Workshop manual and Google to check up on tolerance, guidance and best practice!
I just love the internet and forums for that sort of thing. Like it is advised by some credible engine builders to reduce the crank endfloat from the standard 8-14 thou to around 3-4 thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Engine's also coming along nicely, you do appear to be missing a couple of cylinders though. I'm sure I could only count four, is that right?

A more serious question now - what's the access going to be like to the engine with a fixed front end?

Yes, Mr T it is only a 4-pot this time - but it is the 1500 MG Midget engine (same as the Spitfire 1500 one), so should go nicely. Although a standard Herald 13/60 gearbox with no overdrive for now. I am considering in future a 5 speed conversion using a Ford Type 9 gearbox and adapter kit from jigsaw racing.....

Regarding access, this was a key area I was worried about. I even asked Mike about the possibility of converting it to a flip front!

However, when I was there on Saturday, we had the body on to make sure that the frame mods worked, and actually the bonnet opening is HUGE so there is absolutely no problem with access! the engine will come out with the gearbox attached and not touch the sides! Even a 6-pot will be okay.

One of the things that i didn't appreciate is that the bulkhead is sat about 8-10 inches back and so you get more space around the engine. This does mean that the gear stick needs to be adapted to shift backward - Mike is doing an exchange kit for this!

Hopefully in about 3-4 weeks I will have the rolling chassis and body on so I will take pictures to show you how it all looks in the engine bay.

I think Mike is building a customers car as well at the moment, so he may beat me to it!