Thread: Power!
View Single Post
Old 26th February 2013, 08:04

Hammy is on a distinguished road
Default retro performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
I'm probably getting aheda of myself as I haven't even ordered my kit but I can't help feeling these cars need to go as good as they look. There is lots of stuff on the web about tuning MX5's but I thought I would share what I had found.

After my trip to Chris' workshop I came across a Mk2 MX5 in Wimborne and the guy driving it said he had fitted a Mercedes Supercharger to the car to give it over 300BHP. Having a quick search around these units are quite expensive and difficult to fit. Talking with a mate of mine, who has owned MX5's for years, his recommendation is a Mini supercharger as these are readily available and easier to fit as they are self contained (no oil supply necessary, unlike the Merc units).

A quick browse through Ebay showed quite a few units for sale, such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPE...item589c5406c2

Which has to put a few more horses under the bonnet.

Anyone else planning daft things fro the motor?

One final thought, if you have a search around on YouTube there's an MX5 with a Corvette V10 fitted to it. Mad, mad, mad...
I went through this period but then realised I am building a retro 60's car and with minor mods to my Mk1 - Induction, decat twin stainless exhaust and timing advance, I have a car that has 60 sportscar performance figures with the sound to match. I think the MX250 is all about the look. IMHO.......