View Single Post
Old 7th December 2012, 22:48

Fibreglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino_gt View Post
Hi Mark;
I´m building a Dino with an alfa v6, as you know, and the main issue is the rear suspension since there´s less space because the gearbox is alongside the engine and not underneath, as in the original dino. the top rear wishbones and mounting brackets can´t be the same.

Also, the other issue is the differential, which is lower than in the original car. This involves less space for the lower logitudinal members of the chassis. As a consequence of these things the position of the engine, a bit higher, leaves the intake almost touching the engine cover.

That said, it can be fitted, but it´s quite hard to find the space.
regarding the driveshafts, one of them has to be really short. The alfa has an intermediate shaft between the two driveshafts, and the gearbox one has to be cut or ordered shorter.

A logitudinal engine might allow the rear suspension to remain the same, but the space for the boot would probably be taken, and the look would be different, as down sides...

personally I prefer transverse mounted engine.
Although I like the idea of the transverse Alfa engine, it would mean quite a modification to the chassis or sitting the engine higher which could affect the engine cover as well as raising the centre of gravity. This is why I am more and more interested in the Audi setup. I know it would be in line but I am hoping it might fit without any major chassis alterations after all I think Ferrari did a pretty good job of it first time. The main problem is the length between the driveshafts and the front of the engine. The Ford 302 V8 engine with Renault UN1 box I have here is only a few inches too long to fit so I was thinking an Audi V6 might be that much shorter. I understand that the Audi box has the driveshafts closer to the clutch but I haven't seen one to check this. Also being a more modern setup the gearbox may hopefully be shorter as the UN1 box goes into the boot area which isn't a major problem, it would just be a case of raising the boot floor.
The old Saab engine/box setup would have been interesting as it is very similar to the Ferrari setup with the gearbox below the engine but is in line instead of transverse. However these are getting few and far between now so I think it is going to have to be a more modern unit like the Alfa or Audi unless anyone can come up with another option I hadn't thought of.