View Single Post
Old 12th September 2012, 12:31
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
I'm planning on leaving mine till post IVA as I know it's going to be a fiddly job to get looking nice and straight and will also be one less thing for the radius tester to pick up on. I've never worked with GRP either so not looking forward to this one.

What's the verdict on the Marlin stainless grill to sit behind this. They want £80 + VAT which seems a lot. is it a perfect fit or will I end up making the usual adjustments that I'd have to if I just bought a sheet of mesh elsewhere? I'm also wondering about the fixing method as there are no clips build into the nose cone ready to go.
Some cars have been finished and painted with no slots at all, so it's not essential. Drilling and cutting the GRP was easier than I imagined before I started. It's a bit like woodworking but with nasty sharp splinters.

The Marlin grill is a nice piece of SS mesh and polishes up nicely but you may be able to get it cheaper somewhere else. (This looks similar but I can't confirm if its the same quality or size....http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/W...erture_SSMESH3 )
Mine came with a nice formed fold down the middle which made it easier to fit but of course it needed a little trimming round the edges.
I bonded and glassed some small ali tubes on the back of the nose cone along the edges and then fixed the grill with SS cable ties. The SS cable ties were a PITA to fit and I think I would use ordinary nylon cable ties if I did it again.

...peter