Thread: Seat belts
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2012, 08:06

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

In a Lotus Seven replica you're pretty exposed and virtually sitting on the car rather than in it. I'd want a full harness to give me the feeling that I wouldn't fall out when going round corners.

In the Sammio though, you're pretty enclosed inside the car and it feels a very secure place to be, so a basic three point belt feels fine.

To my mind, if you're planning to race your Sammio then fit a full harness. If you're aiming for the most accurate fifties race car look possible then use a pre '67 donor and don't fit seat belts at all. If you're aiming to use it as a fun road car then go with discrete inertia belts.

Oh, and a couple of points of interest: 1/ I've fitted my inertia belts centrally as I found that to be the easiest place to get them to actually fit, although I'd probably move them about six inches further outboard if I was doing it again so they'd come out directly behind your shoulder instead of to the side; and 2/ You can't legally fit lap belts to outboard 'front' seats in any vehicle. Even if it's a pre '67 donor and doesn't need belts, if you fit any at all they must be three point belts at least.

Good luck finding a suitable solution.