View Single Post
Old 8th December 2011, 08:44

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I put that listing up yesterday after agonising about it for about 2 weeks....I really don't like selling moulds , but there is a sort of unofficial rule in kit cars that you shouldn't spread yourself too thin and allow quality to suffer....Well we offer cheap end kits so quality is never going to be quite like the Big Boys , but I am constantly thinking about the next concept and thats not always the best thing to do......

I created the 550 as a result of it being the car I originally started out wanting and couldn't afford.

As a result the Sammio concept was born .

When the opportunity to build a 550 was waved in my face , I went for it , based on my thoughts that similar people to myself would also crave one and price was a key factor in that not happening...This has proved to be fairly accurate as the enquiries have been strong for the car and we are building 2 in the shop as well as a close friends that has just been started as well and will leave when its a rolling shell. So thats 3 and a couple of genuine enquiries will transpire in the next few weeks , I am sure....( one customer is actively shortening his chassis , so he's committed !!)

Now , don't get me wrong , I think the 550 is a fantastic car , the drivetrain layout , styling etc. everything about it is great and a very buildable car based around VW bits BUT ......The original SAMMIO SPYDER and G46 are my passion.

We are getting choked in the shop by the Spyder kit production and G46 enquiries.....Mike is halfway through a G46 body at present with another 5 to do straight away.

What I need to do is follow my heart but using my head !

We have sold 73 Spyders to date , 2 more to do at present and 6 G46's to do as said just now....add to that the 2 550's to build , a finished G46 for Patrice , Barry Mays finish build , a G46 body fit and a 1300 sq. ft facility with 2 guys and a part timer and something has gotta give........

So ....By passing the 550 on , I can get a bit of breathing space , someone can give the concept the attention and promotion it deserves....I can concentrate on my two babies , doing some repairs to the Spyder moulds and improving the product as it grows....

Going back to where I said '' I am constantly thinking about the next concept and thats not always the best thing to do......'' I am about to sort of contradict myself !!

Part of improving the Spyder and G46 range is making some changes....We are going to tweak the 46 to fit the TVR ...I think that could be a World Class car ..no pun intended Nick !
We are also working with JMC14 on here to get the Sammio Spyder into the U.S. ...MX5 based and slightly different build techniques but undeniably a Sammio - so thats quite exciting.

My main thing I want to do is offer the Spitfire based Sammio Spyder ....we get about 4 enquiries a month all saying ..'' will it fit the Spit '' .I need to cater for that.
It is a natural progression as 1500 spit chassis are everywhere...production continued to the early 80's so plenty of examples left.

I will need to deal with the proportions issue but have some ideas to create a car that is obviously a Sammio but a little different...possibly a bit more aggressive looking.
Some of the mods on Barry Mays car we will be doing might make the cross over to the Spit.

So there you have it .....lack of time , space etc. and refusal to not give my babies the attention and growth they deserve... ( sorry to any 550 lovers out there but I still think my Spyder is a prettier car ! ) add to that the fact that I totally burnt out this year financially and physically with two new cars and its time to just step back and be an adult for a minute....

SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING BUT NOT A QUICK THING TO EXPLAIN....

Last edited by lancelot link; 8th December 2011 at 08:54..