Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 14th June 2009, 17:53
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

We went to the Luton Festival of Transport today and I am pleased to say that the new mounts for the wing stays are a great improvement.

The festival itself was well worth going to with over 100 cars - mainly pre 1980 but also some hot rods, American muscle cars and a few kit cars.

The hot rods had obviously never heard of the SVA with all manner of sharp bit sticking out. There one that was running completely wingless and another with a huge supercharged V8 shoehorned into what looked like a bog standard Ford Pop chassis. The chassis rails were about 2" x 1".

A couple of things I noticed about the Sportster that you guys can perhaps throw some light on.

1. The rear wheels have a lot of negative camber. In fact one side looks worse that the other but it may be an optical illusion.

2. I get some "crashing" from the rear on large bumps. There is nothing obviusly touching. Does anyone else get this? I am wondering if my (custom made) springs are bottoming out.

3. Although the engine temperature gauge indicates it is running at a steady 85 to 90, after a run the rocker cover seems very hot. Much too hot to touch in fact. Is this right? Logically I suppose it is but I just can't remember any other car I have owned where the roker cover got that hot.

I'll post some pictures of the show later (including the hot rod with the huge V8) I did a survey of two tone colour schemes in planning for the winter paint job.

Robin