Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2009, 08:13
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I didn't push too hard in the rain as I know my cars supension is not set up properly and is quite skittish over bumps or ruts in the road.
Just something simple but have you tried your front dampers on a softer setting? Sometimes it can make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
The journey back was almost un-eventful until about 20 miles from home I could hear the now familiar sound of one of the front mudguard stays rubbing on the wheel rim. Luckliy I stopped before any serious damage and was able to just tighten the u bolt up again as it hadn't snapped. This was the one that i 'glued' up last year and has now failed. I'm not sure if the u-bolts stretch or whether the lock nuts come undone?

An alternative wing stay mounting system is now #1 on the 'to do list' closely followed by getting the supension set up properly...
I am pretty sure that the U-bolts stretch slightly. They simply weren't designed for the amount of vibration they get on the front struts. Once they have stretched slightly it allows the nylock nuts to start moving.

I think there are two things that need doing to make them satisfactory.

1. Add a third stay to reduce the amount of movement, and hence induced vibration, from the mudgaurd

2. A more secure way of fixing. Perhaps by extending the mounting plate and adding another clamp or Stuarts suggestion of using two exhaust clamps back to back and HT bolts rather than the grotty U bolts.

I will be watching with interest.....

Robin