View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:40
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy
You do not have to worry about being a donut, that is what this forum is about; if you do not no something it is better to ask than struggle. I would not think anybody building has not needed help with one aspect or more of the build. I would think there is enough of us donuts to start a cake shop.

I did a search on ask jeeves (how does a car turbo work) and got a lot of good sites. Garret turbo’s has a good site.
The Haynes rover 820 covers the turbo engine and the Rave rover cdrom covers it all with good diagrams of the plumbing.

There are three main issues that come to mind that you need to consider. Is your donor electric or mechanical Speedo and what is you gearbox. You will need to fit a remote oil filter and because of the clearance issue. You will have modify your oil pump and fit a oil cooler if your engine is not of the type that has a oil cooler fitted. The water pump is run from the power steering pulley. There a various options here, keep the power steering pump and just join the inlet and outlet pipes together. but this saps power and the fluid gets rather hot Or remove the pumps completely and fit an electrical water pump. This is what myself and other have done. It does raise the cost though (pump and controller 220 quid)

Oh yes drive shafts, read the earlier posts lot of good info there
A lot of the plumbing has been covered in earlier posts

If you do you engine in small chunks it will come together ok and start to make sense.

All the best
Tony gigg