View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:35
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Hi Peter
1. Silly question but of the two pins on the rear diff speed sensor, is 1 an earth (or ignition live??) and the other sends the signal? (my wiring diagrams are for E38 onwards, and the E36 Haynes manual doesn't cover it)
2. No, I'm not sure either, but I think the relevant pins for the crankshaft sensor are 8 and 21 on Module 3. There are also some possibilities for pins 36 and 37 on Module 4 but not sure about these. Also pins 2, 11 and 21 on Mod 4 go to the instrument cluster but I can't find out exactly what they do?
3. Was going to use pin26 on Mod 3 for the oil pressure. My rear fuel pump instructions suggest it should be wired to the oil pressure switch for safety reasons. Did you do this ?
5. I agree that the BMW sensor would have been nicer but I'm doing the same as you because (i) it seems easier (ii) the original sensor connector was already sheared off when I got the engine!
Good luck!
By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a possible donor vehicle available - S-reg, 528i Touring, 156k, runs superb, bodywork not great and various interior niggles, only drawback is its an automatic.
Tim
Hi Tim,
OK, some further comments/answers... (there are no silly questions )

1. I ran a twisted pair of cables from the diff. sensor all the way up to the speedo. I think I grounded one side, near to the dashboard, to avoid the whole thing acting as an aerial. Initially, I got some intermittant readings (luckily not during the SVA test!) which turned out to be a poor connection between the sender and the plug in connector. I took the sensor out and soldered some leads to the terminals and then filled the void with silicone rubber. No issues since doing this.

2. Yup, pins 21 and 8 (Module 3) are the crankshaft sensor but it's not a simple device as it also has a postive battery supply to it to pin 3 of the sensor. From my diagram it looks like the signal lead is Pin 2 on the sensor (yellow). But thinking about it, the crankshaft sensor will generate too many pulses for a rev counter? Pins 36 and 37 are the CAN data bus so suggest we steer clear of those for now.

However, I have found a reference to a 'Speed Signal' - Pin 17 Module 4 to the OBDII terminal, that might be worth a try?

3. Not heard of wiring the oil pressure switch to the fuel pump? I guess this is a safety feature; No oil pressure = cut fuel supply = stop!

I guess we had better get out to the garage and start testing some of these theories

br

Peter