View Single Post
Old 18th December 2008, 14:02
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
2) I've been looking at the wiring diagrams for the ignition switch, and I've come to the conclusion that I have a franken-car. All the diagrams I've seen (Bently, Haynes & downloaded BMW from E30 Zone) mention the 4 main connections on the switch - Red from battery to the switch (30), Black to starter (50) and the two green cables which are on terminals R & B (one of which goes to the coil - where does the other go to?)

The thing is I have four more cables on the switch - from terminals PR1, PR2, PL1 & PL2. I haven't found out what these are for yet... They're small cross section, so they're not taking a lot of load... The only thing I've come up with is they're something to do with the on-board computer my donor had.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I can't read wiring diagrams!

I can't help for the ignition switch as I re-used the BMW loom and fusebox - I certainly have those wires but they disappear off into the loom and do I know not what (and don't care as long as everything works). Could they be something to do with the un-loader circuit (which you won't need if you are not using the BMW fusebox)

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams on www.diakom.ru. I have a complete set for 1989 vintage if they will help (In pdf format) I think they are taken from the BMW workshop manuals and are more complete than those I have found anywhere else.

Robin