View Single Post
Old 24th September 2008, 08:04
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Thanks for the good advice.
There are certainly lots of cars on ebay so I've started my 'market research'

Do you know if i'll need a new/modified propshaft and do you think the e30 diff would take the 190bhp?

I might have too look for some 325i rear hubs/disk brakes as well because I fitted the old drums from my 320i (although they do work rather well!)

thanks, Peter
No sure about the prop there are different fittings either end of some of the models. Normally with the E30 what you so it mix and match front and rear bits to fit.

190bhp is no problem at all for the medium case BMW diff (large case in E30 range). I'm running at least 200bhp through mine no problems.

Richard is running 236bhp through a small case diff at the moment which seems to be doing OK a bit of a noise from it but it had that before the engine swap (he's got a medium case LSD in the garage to go in at some point)

With the weight of the Sportster I think you'd be find with drums at the back, lots of corba's out there with ford drums at the back.

The M52 325 engine also had 190bhp but has less torque than the 2.8. The 2.8 was deliberately strangled with the intake manifold to fit into a German taxation bracket which is why you can achieve such high gains just by swapping the manifold over. There's a 323 I think with 170bhp and the 320 with 150.