View Single Post
Old 19th August 2008, 18:34
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

My engine was mounted (and is still similarly mounted), with a mount on the front just to the engine side of the bellhousing, again on the back on the engine side of the bellhousing, and then at either end of the engine/gearbox roughly along the crank-line of the engine (but higher up). Pretty symetrical, and the engine tended to rotate about the lateral mounts, with negligible rotation about the vertical axis.

My car with this mount arrangement, caused serious heart in mouth moments when backing off suddenly.

My theory is the jacking, bumpsteer, and toe-stiffness are intrinisically linked, and thus if you induce one phenomenom you can't help but induce another, and they work in a sort of harmonic fashion.

I would guess your remedial work has almost nailed the bumpsteer (it's going to hard to get it perfect?), the toe stiffness is better (rear brace), but not totally removed due to the pin-jointing and the camber / toe pick ups on the hub still being pretty close. The jacking is still there as that's impossible to correct without changing inboard pickups.