PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Supplied Brake Line Kit

GreatOldOne
8th January 2007, 09:22
Guys,

I splurged and got the brake line kit when I ordered the chassis. I was going through them yesterday, to see what was what - but I think I may be missing some bits.

I have two medium length lines, which I take are the rear pipes for the trailing arms. These go to the provided three way junction. Then there's a long line that will run from the 3 way to the engine bay and the brake cylinder.

I then have an unequal length pair for the front left and right hand side (left being longer, right being shorter) which will terminate at the bodywork. Then I have a pair of short lines that will go from the bodywork out to the front calipers.

All of the pipes have standard unions on them, so no probs there. However, the pipes out to the front calipers have banjo connectors on the end which (I assume) are to be bolted onto the inlets of the calipers... but I don't have the banjo bolts.

Are these supposed to be in the kit? I have one in the clutch hose kit, so I'm thinking that they may have forgotten to put them in the bag. I just wondered if anyone else had ordered the kit, and had them (or haven't, as the case may be). Then I can drop Terry an email and get them sent up, or get some ordered form elsewhere.

Ta,

Jason

Patrick
8th January 2007, 12:27
My brake lines didn't come with a bango type connection, just straight bolt into the calliper.

My brake kit consisted of:

2x Front braided hoses x2 from body to calliper
4 x Rear braided hose from T piece to trailing arm then from trailing arm to calliper

The copper bits had all the wrong connectors on so I ended up buying a box of unions and a flaring tool.

I didn't get a clutch hose, I bought an OEM replacement for that.

MartinClan
8th January 2007, 12:33
My flexi lines were the wrong length. I ended up sending them back to the place where Marlin get them made and they changed them (for free!!!)

As Patrick says there should be 6 for the brakes. Two for the front and four for the back. There are some pictures on my web site. Be very careful when mounting the flexies that go from the chassis to the trailing arms or you will find they rub when the suspension moves.

I made my own brake lines - that way they can run exactly where you want them to go - and it's not difficult.

Robin

GreatOldOne
8th January 2007, 14:45
I ordered the full set, so it's SS braided all over. I've been on to the Marlin Tech support line (AKA the mobile phone in one of the guys overalls), and they did say that they've got the bolts spare.

But He (Didn't catch his name, but I'm sure it wasn't Mark) has asked me to check what connections I've got on the other end of the banjo'd lines, as he admitted that some of the sets they had made up had the wrong ends put on (I guess this is what happened to yours, Robin).

So I'll check tonight and give them a call again tommorow. I think I'll send some piccies to them as well, just to be on the safe side.

peterux
8th January 2007, 21:02
Guys,

All of the pipes have standard unions on them, so no probs there. However, the pipes out to the front calipers have banjo connectors on the end which (I assume) are to be bolted onto the inlets of the calipers... but I don't have the banjo bolts.

Are these supposed to be in the kit?
Ta,

Jason

Jason,
my flexible pipes to the front calipers were also supplied with banjo connectors and yes they were supplied by Marlin with banjo bolts and some copper sealing washers. You have to make sure the calipers are completely clean, flat and not pitted or they won't seal properly.
Not a very good photo, but you can just see the banjo in this picture....
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=151485085&context=set-72157594447011861&size=o
My concern was that my front pipes are a bit on the short side?

cheers

Peter

Patrick
8th January 2007, 21:34
Mine are a tad short too, I figured the steering will need a limiter anyway which would eliminate the problem

peterux
8th January 2007, 21:51
hhmmmm, a steering limiter?

My wheels get mightly close to the front wishbones on full lock, but I have not yet fitted any wheel spacers or adjusted the toe-in yet, so not sure if I have a problem or not.

Have you got any ideas about limiting the steering rack? I think I read somewhere about someone that used hose clips inside the rack :-(

Peter

MartinClan
9th January 2007, 07:40
What we need here is some input from someone that has already completed a build and passed the SVA test. Surely, if it was necessary to modify the steering rack to limit travel, Marlin would do it along with the mod they already do?

IMHO of course :-)

Robin

GreatOldOne
9th January 2007, 14:30
I've just gotten of the Phone to the Marlin Tech support line (which I now know is called Simon... :))

It would seem I've got the wrong front flexi's, as they have male connectors on the body end - and it's difficult to get a male connector to screw into another male connector. :D

So they've asked me to send them back to them, and they're popping the correct ones with the missing banjo bolts in the post to me.

Patrick
9th January 2007, 15:09
Result :) There's supposed to be a hose place in Southampton somewhere. Might pop in there and get banjo's put on mine, seems like a more elegant solution!

Anyone with some pics? :)

peterux
9th January 2007, 20:16
What we need here is some input from someone that has already completed a build and passed the SVA test. Surely, if it was necessary to modify the steering rack to limit travel, Marlin would do it along with the mod they already do?

IMHO of course :-)

Robin

Good point Robin, let's stick with what we've been given unless anyone with more experience can comment.

Peter

MartinClan
18th August 2007, 14:05
I thought I was going to get some brakes today.....

But my front flexis don't have the banjo type fixing and there is no way that I can route them without them fouling on the suspension arms at full lock. So - does everyone else have banjo fixings on theirs? This would seem to be the best solution as it would mean the flexies taking a slightly different route and avoiding the suspension.

Cheers

Robin

Patrick
18th August 2007, 15:04
I had a new set made by Hampshire Hose after damaging non-banjo marlin supplied ones. Completely avoids getting trapped and rubbing on the tyre now.

http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7&offset=456

MartinClan
18th August 2007, 18:19
Thanks Patrick

Did you still have to tie them to the upper wishbone to avoid contact - or was that just due thier length?

Robin

peterux
18th August 2007, 21:38
I thought I was going to get some brakes today.....

But my front flexis don't have the banjo type fixing and there is no way that I can route them without them fouling on the suspension arms at full lock. So - does everyone else have banjo fixings on theirs? This would seem to be the best solution as it would mean the flexies taking a slightly different route and avoiding the suspension.

Cheers

Robin

Further to my post above on the 8th Janaury, I took back my original lines with banjo fittings that were too short. I was supplied some longer ones without banjo's. I have fitted them and I think with a bit more tweaking I'll get them in the right place without fouling.
I have cable tied them to the wishbones but spaced off with about 20mm of fuel hose. I'll try and get some photo's next time I'm down the lock up.

Peter

Patrick
18th August 2007, 22:41
Thanks Patrick

Did you still have to tie them to the upper wishbone to avoid contact - or was that just due thier length?

Robin

It was to keep them in place, the combination of the angle of the banjo + the ties keep them from going where they should not.

peterux
19th August 2007, 21:54
Further to my post above on the 8th Janaury, I took back my original lines with banjo fittings that were too short. I was supplied some longer ones without banjo's. I have fitted them and I think with a bit more tweaking I'll get them in the right place without fouling.
I have cable tied them to the wishbones but spaced off with about 20mm of fuel hose. I'll try and get some photo's next time I'm down the lock up.

Peter

I took some pictures today....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/sets/72157601555879061/
Still not perfect and need some more tweaking.
I may try two spacers next time I try.

If anything, my lines are now too long!

cheers

Peter

Stuart
20th August 2007, 16:10
You guys seem to be having issues with brake hoses here is some pics of mine hopefully it will answer most of your questions.
http://www.raidersogame.org/personal/sportster/PICT0071.JPG
http://www.raidersogame.org/personal/sportster/PICT0072.JPG
http://www.raidersogame.org/personal/sportster/PICT0073.JPG

MartinClan
20th August 2007, 19:32
Hi all
Thanks for the pics.
I solved the brake pipe problem by making a small bracket that hangs off the main chassis rail. Brake pipe now does not foul on either lock :-). Pictures here... http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/pictures5.htm

Robin