PDA

View Full Version : Convertible New Build

Lucky@LeMans
27th September 2019, 15:35
I had a chat with Dan back in the early part of the summer to see if he would be happy to do a convertible. I had plenty of time to source a good donor and do all the prep. I found a low mileage 2.8 manual locally and the deal was done. I've progressed on the interior whilst waiting for the panels, fitted replacement seats, new door cards, removed the horrid plastic boxes behind the seats and done some retrimming. I also carried out the Z4 rear hub conversion as I knew my wheel choice was going to be right on the limits. The conversion is simple enough ( with the right tools ) and reduces the track by about 20mm each side.
Managed today to trial fit the panels onto the donor. All fit well and line up without any issues.
The wire wheels fit under the arches, just ! They are deep dish 6"-15"'s that are fitted with 205/70 - 15" tyres, I think I'll be going down a size or two on the tyres as they are a bit too wide. I'll probably fit some lowering springs, maybe -30mm as the car seems just a little high at the moment. That should also have the effect of bringing the wheels in a few more mm at the tops.
I've splashed out on some Harrington stainless bumpers that will ad the finishing touch.
Undecided on final paint colour choice, at the moment I'm thinking dark metallic red or silver grey ?
More updates to follow...…….

molleur
27th September 2019, 17:22
Now that really looks great!

Triumph Special
27th September 2019, 21:17
That looks really good. Best of luck with your project.

smash
28th September 2019, 06:45
Wow that works really well! In fact prefer it to fixed head tbh

My wheels had a lot less poke than yours and rubbed on the arches under acceleration with eibach springs (spring savers are a solution altjough it does lift the back slightly). Coil overs will give you most options. You may have to look at the Grassbank narrow rear track kit - should solve things and it looks better. Hard to tell from this angle but looks like the front will be the problem - might be worth a chat with them about how they narrowed front track.

On the other hand might be worrying over nothing and you should just "Hard BREXIT" :D

Lucky@LeMans
28th September 2019, 08:03
The wheels are just under the arches, the tyres are just a bit too wide. They are Pirelli 4000's which came with the wheels. I think they are quite old so I don't have a problem changing them. Looking at the original cars many were fitted with narrow tyres.

The proportions of the car work really well, once painted and fitted with all the exterior trim it should look the part !

Welshkiwi
28th September 2019, 19:56
Very smart LLM, at the start of my project I had that big decision of which option to go for. Nice to see one now in the making and I know you will do it proud.
Will be interested to see your opinion on the Harrington bumper set as long term might be an option for me but a big investment in NZD. Look forward to seeing it come together!

Lucky@LeMans
29th September 2019, 08:31
Harrington are offering a small discount on all their bumper sets at the moment. Still pricey though, but they are a quality product. I've offered up the front quarter bumpers , they appear to follow the profile of the car very well.

lancelot link
29th September 2019, 08:45
I like the look of that so far , it def works in convertible format very well and is prettier than the hugely more expensive DNA comparible and their pirated examples ....

DaveP
29th September 2019, 10:41
That is a very nice looking motor and can’t wait to see progress.

I am liking the interior too. Simple and clean.

Can I ask what make of aftermarket seats they are ?

The Cobra buckets all look very similar.

I don’t like the plastic storage in mine either but really like having a rear wind deflector. Will have to play with an alternative that allows me to fit something to keep the back of the neck warm(ish).

I assume you fabricated that rear deck. It looks clean and tidy

Many thanks for sharing.

Dave

Lucky@LeMans
29th September 2019, 11:12
Hi Dave, the seats are BB Classics purchased via ebay. They are a similar style to sports cars of the period. I'm going with an simple low key interior that hints of 1960's so I'm removing the obvious Z3 plastic bits. The dash will remain as is but with the Grassbank retro instrument cluster cover. The rear deck is fabricated from 3mm ply covered with 3mm foam and finished with leather cloth. The door card tops are BMW and the lower section I've fabricated in ply as above. They will also have aluminium kick plates along the lower edges to finish them off, similar to the originals. I want to make it all look like a factory finish with regards to the trim.

Lucky@LeMans
29th September 2019, 11:30
Door card details here;

lancelot link
29th September 2019, 14:50
BB Classics are always doing discount deals , so worth putting them on a watch list ....

casamolino
29th September 2019, 15:23
Lucky wont you have an issue at MOT time with there being no headrests on the seats of a Z3 based car? Geoff .

DaveP
29th September 2019, 15:41
Hi Lucky,

Thanks for the info. I have looked at BB seats before. Not always easy to hear people’s view of them from a quality point of view.

Did you fabricate your own subframes? On their website they have E36 subframes for sale but don’t know anyone that have fitted them.

Really like the rear deck. Oh and the door-cards are great.

Thanks again

Also someone on the Tribute FB group is asking about alternative seating options. Is it ok to share on of your internal pics please. Would help another builder.

Dave

Lucky@LeMans
29th September 2019, 15:57
The BB Seats came with basic adjustable subframes. I fabricated some off set brackets about 50mm high and bolted the lot together. There is some detail info on fitting these seats on clinkadinks Kobra build thread, complete with drawings.

DaveP
29th September 2019, 16:00
The BB Seats came with basic adjustable subframes. I fabricated some off set brackets about 50mm high and bolted the lot together. There is some detail info on fitting these seats on clinkadinks Kobra build thread, complete with drawings.

Thanks again. I saw those drawings so will go and have another read.

Dave

Lucky@LeMans
30th September 2019, 17:48
These photos have inspired the colour choice. I'm also ok going with narrow tyres, I've ordered some 185/80 - 15's.

molleur
30th September 2019, 19:19
good choice!

DaveP
1st October 2019, 17:32
Great colour choice. If I was to build one that would be the colour.

Classy car, classy paint.

Interesting seeing a Zed on 15inch wheels. Most go for the opposite it seems these days.

My Kobra is fitted with banded 16s. Tyre choices were limited for the rear because of this but I’m currently happy with my ‘budget’ choice.

Liking this thread

Dave

Lucky@LeMans
1st October 2019, 20:24
The standard choice for wire wheels on Tribute kits is a 15" wheel. I would like to have gone for a 14" like the original but there isn't a standard fitment other than mega expensive Borrani's. The nearest option would have been 14" Triumph Stag wires but they don't have that deep dish rim which makes all the difference .

I have bought a Triumph Stag rear number plate light that mounts on the bumper and is very close in design, size and shape.

I've done a bit more, fitted the fuel filler flap using the Z3 parts and made up some additional brackets to support the rear clam. I'm moulding up some tapered rear light recess's which should be ready to go on by the end of the week.

smash
1st October 2019, 20:50
14" 72 spoke are available!

Same style as mine were - same place. Be just under 2k landed

http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_26_86&products_id=139

Next!!

Lucky@LeMans
1st October 2019, 21:52
I'll have to check these out !

Jaguartvr
2nd October 2019, 07:14
I tried fitting 225/75x15 but found the 75 profile too high and they locked on the underside of the front shock spring pans. You might clear it with narrower 185's but I would check with one type before paying out for a full set.

Lucky@LeMans
2nd October 2019, 20:21
I've fitted the 185 section tyres and they are under the arches as I'd hoped. The clearance around the front strut is fine so that's worked out well.

The rear end is basically fitted other than a little fettling, then it can be bolted / bonded on for the final time. Front end and door skins next.

The petrol flap is the Z3 one skinned with the Grp disc that was cut out, neat enough !

Lucky@LeMans
2nd October 2019, 20:28
Photos here …..

Lucky@LeMans
5th October 2019, 20:13
Trial fitted the Harrington rear bumper today. The rear section is easy to mount onto the body and I've fitted the off side quarter bumper. Only needed a little trimming and it looks reasonable. Going for a 10mm gap between the bumper and body.

DaveP
5th October 2019, 21:27
Looking good again :)

Oh and the Z3 filler looks neat too. I went that way with mine due to lack of experience and not wanting to use a big old filler. They keep the lines of the car clean though.

Hope the fit and finish is good with regard to alignment etc.

How thick are the door skins ? I shy away from them (again lack of experience/confidence/competence.

Keep up the pics :)

Dave

molleur
5th October 2019, 22:20
Trial fitted the Harrington rear bumper today. The rear section is easy to mount onto the body and I've fitted the off side quarter bumper. Only needed a little trimming and it looks reasonable. Going for a 10mm gap between the bumper and body.

Good fit and really look the part. Major improvement over bumper-less.

Lucky@LeMans
7th October 2019, 21:28
Finished off the tapered rear light mounts. I ended up modifying the ones supplied in the kit, only a small mod but it goes along way. Offered up the rear lights too, fitted with with temporary fixings.
The front side repeaters have been frenched into the bodywork like the original, I'll do the same with the bonnet badge. Also fitted the front indicator recesses that are supplied, simply trimmed and bonded into position.

Mitchelkitman
9th October 2019, 21:21
I've fitted the 185 section tyres and they are under the arches as I'd hoped. The clearance around the front strut is fine so that's worked out well.

The rear end is basically fitted other than a little fettling, then it can be bolted / bonded on for the final time. Front end and door skins next.

The petrol flap is the Z3 one skinned with the Grp disc that was cut out, neat enough !

Has the original pipe or opening been modified at all, or is the filler cap easy to remove/replace in its original position without any changes?

Lucky@LeMans
9th October 2019, 22:11
The original Z3 hinged flap unbolts from a bracket in the Z3 wing. I marked out and cut the circle from the GRP body in the same relative position as on the Z3 wing.
The Grp disc was then bonded onto the Z3 flap. A simple bracket was made to hold the hinged flap which was first carefully aligned, then bonded onto the inner body with PU adhesive.
Once that was set I checked it opened, closed and still aligned, I glassed over the bracket.
No other mods were done, the opened flap is right in front of the filler cap.

Mitchelkitman
11th October 2019, 22:08
The original Z3 hinged flap unbolts from a bracket in the Z3 wing. I marked out and cut the circle from the GRP 275 body in the same relative position as on the Z3 wing.
The Grp disc was then bonded onto the Z3 flap. A simple bracket was made to hold the hinged flap which was first carefully aligned, then bonded onto the inner body with PU adhesive.
Once that was set I checked it opened, closed and still aligned, I glassed over the bracket.
No other mods were done, the opened flap is right in front of the filler cap.

Thanks for making that clear - I had a vision of having to reach 'down a rabbit hole' and avoid dropping the cap into the void :neutral: . Knowing the filler doesn't need to be altered is (to me) reassuring, because getting a seal on a pipe carrying fuel would appear to be difficult!

Lucky@LeMans
13th October 2019, 17:29
Front end is nearly done, a fair bit of fettling and fitting required. I'm happy with the headlight bowls and the indicator recesses are finished. The front quarter bumpers have been fitted, they simply required an angled spacer behind the respective mounting brackets. I'm making up an aluminium infill panel for the grill, that will replace the GRP one supplied in the kit. That was used as a template and saved a fair bit of time and effort. My boot hinges have turned up so that will be on the list for this week. I also want to get the door skins done too and that will see the bulk of the build finished. Gone back on my thoughts for a silver / grey paint job, I'm thinking dark metallic red again !

Lucky@LeMans
14th October 2019, 22:35
Paperwork sent off to the DVLA today. I thought it might be wise to get it in to re register the car before the end of the month ! Could be that the DVLA will be inundated with Brexit related license issues, who knows !

molleur
15th October 2019, 01:56
Good move!

Lucky@LeMans
16th October 2019, 20:26
Boot and hinges trial fitted, a little trimming around the edges and its looking good. I've decided on an authentic central boot lock rather than adapting the Z3 locking system. I moulded up a tapered lock recces which has now been glassed in place. So the boot is now locked manually and won't be part of the central locking system.
I've made a start on removing the moulding flash lines around the car. The mould was obviously aligned well during manufacture as it has only taken minimum of sanding so far.

JBXF
17th October 2019, 09:08
What car are the new armrest off of please, I like the look of those?

Lucky@LeMans
17th October 2019, 11:36
They were from a Mk1 MX5

Lucky@LeMans
17th October 2019, 21:41
Moved onto the door skins today. The drivers side has been offered up, marked out and the door handle fitted. The hole in the Z3 door was made to access the internal mechanism. Easy enough just measure twice and cut once ! I'm going to make use of the Z3 key lock so I don't have to rely on the remote central locking totally.
The alignment of the skin looks good, both the front and rear edges, I'm aiming for an even 4mm gap all round.

Lucky@LeMans
18th October 2019, 22:17
Managed to progress the door skin a little further today. I've built up the back edge of the front wing area by around 5mm. After a little trimming I've got the desired panel gap and the door opens fully. I just need to do the same along the bottom of the door and the rear edge, but they should be easy !

Lucky@LeMans
21st October 2019, 16:08
Progress continues but not much worth a photo. Spent yesterday and plan to spend most evenings this week getting the body just right before I hand it over to the paint shop. Nothing major just fettling and a little filling here and there.

Lucky@LeMans
26th October 2019, 09:56
DVLA have returned my updated V5. Make is still BMW and model now reflects the body, so its correctly registered !

Bodywork is now pretty much sorted and the paint shop will soon have the car . I wanted to get it done this side of Christmas to avoid the really cold weather. Looking forward to a long hot summer and a trip to the LeMans Classic.

Lucky@LeMans
2nd November 2019, 16:56
I've spent a few extra evenings on the bodywork before the paint shop gets the car in the week. Door gaps being the main area of work, mostly happy with them though the drivers side front edge has been a bit of a challenge. The near side sill turned out to be out of true by a fair amount. Skimmed and fettled a bit more than I would have liked but its done now. There are a few subtle bits for the painters to prep, they will be ok with that. I managed to smash the drivers side quarter window ( don't ask ! ) so I'll have to swop that out now ! Other than that I'm happy with the build so far. I'll get some photos up when its back from the painters.

Barber
3rd November 2019, 11:49
I tried fitting 225/75x15 but found the 75 profile too high and they locked on the underside of the front shock spring pans. You might clear it with narrower 185's but I would check with one type before paying out for a full set.

Or change to coilovers?

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2019, 12:00
My MOT tester warned me strongly against coilovers, he said they give a very harsh and unforgiving ride. I have tried Aspex and pro sport springs, the pro sprot springs collapsed after a week on the rear and the Aspex are not much better. Both of these springs are linear (whatever that means), I have been told by an expert that I need progressive springs so have bitten the bullet and bought a set of Eibach springs.
The 250swb does sit so much better on lowered springs, amazing what a small difference makes.

molleur
3rd November 2019, 12:31
Which shocks are you using with the Eibach springs, and how much will it lower the 250? I need to visit this mod soon.

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2019, 14:14
Just a standard replacement shocks, the springs are -30mm front and rear.

molleur
3rd November 2019, 16:01
Just a standard replacement shocks, the springs are 130mm front and rear.

Thanks

Lucky@LeMans
3rd November 2019, 16:55
Linear springs have evenly spaced coils, progressive are wound with large space one end of the coil and shorter space the other end. The idea is the closely wound end is softer and becomes coil bound as it compresses and then large spaced area takes over which is stiffer.

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2019, 18:02
Typo, drop is -30mm not -130!

molleur
3rd November 2019, 18:39
Typo, drop is -30mm not -130!

No worries, I figured that.
Any pics with the drop?

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2019, 19:00
It is the same as my profile picture, click it and it will enlarge. These are of the earlier springs but they were also -30 and the picture was taken on the day they were fitted so hadn't yet collapsed.
The springs, tyre size and wheels all suddenly came together and it all makes it look so much better. The car isn't garaged but since changing the wheels and suspension it is impossible to take it out without someone stopping to admire it.
Currently working on a full interior. Dash (not Tributes) was awfull and only fitted where it touched (which wasn't in many places) is just about fitted, just doing a final modification to the mould. The speedo and rev counter also looked too flat so they have been adjusted and the top cowls made longer. I have also managed to incorporate the heater controls and am very pleased with how they have come out. I think the dash has taken more hours than the rest of the car. It has almost cost as much as the kit! No pictures yet as it is going to a trimmer to have it leather covered. I am also waiting for the mounting plinth for the small central instruments to come back from CNC. Should look stunning, well it bloody well should do after all the work.
Also bowed to popular pressure and removed the spare wheel so a twin stainless exhaust could be fitted. Kept the centre box and just pipe from there back, sounds great but not obnoxious. I have a phobia about not having a spare so the original space-saver lives in the boot. The car now obviously has knock-on hubs but a bit of forward thinking goes a long way. The hubs are held on by the original wheel bolts (shortened by 3mm) this way if you get a puncture, remove the wire wheel and hub and then fit the space saver using the original nuts. I have had a 3 earded spinner removing tool made up with a 2 foot
breaker bar so it is very easy to remove the spinners and nuts. I then have a locking bar that sits over 2 wheel bolts to lock the wheel so you can stop the hub from turning when undoing the bolts.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your excellent build thread.

molleur
3rd November 2019, 19:13
That's perfect!
With all of your interior work it should be fabulous. Thanks.

Lucky@LeMans
3rd November 2019, 20:11
Dash conversion sounds great, be sure to post some photos when its done !

Lucky@LeMans
4th November 2019, 20:27
Received the lower windscreen trim from Grassbank today, I've trimmed it up and should look smart on the finished car. It just visually raises the lower edge of the screen by about 3" to make it look wider, a bit more retro and less Z3.

molleur
4th November 2019, 20:37
Do you plan to modify the wiper arms as well?

redratbike
4th November 2019, 20:38
So does it have a fake rubber along the top edge ?https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTiq7sYsDWkE9vCK2NYnBNlX8eRTJX VpaMCkZaxHbFIpzYzLIFA

Lucky@LeMans
4th November 2019, 22:13
I'll have to reduce the length of the wiper drive cranks by around 1/2" if I remember right. That will reduce the sweep of the wiper blades so they stay within the glass. The standard wiper arms can be used, just tweaked a little to get the angles correct. I also radiused each end of the panel so the trim will be curved rather than a sharp angle as in the photo.

molleur
4th November 2019, 22:18
I was going to make my own FRP part, and was referencing
Justin's photos, but the site is now down.
Should have saved them.

Lucky@LeMans
4th November 2019, 22:19
So does it have a fake rubber along the top edge ?https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTiq7sYsDWkE9vCK2NYnBNlX8eRTJX VpaMCkZaxHbFIpzYzLIFA

I intend to use genuine rubber !

Lucky@LeMans
4th November 2019, 22:20
I was going to make my own FRP part, and was referencing
Justin's photos, but the site is now down.
Should have saved them.

They still have some stock, I only ordered this part last week.

molleur
4th November 2019, 22:22
Would look better if the panel was glassed to the "A" pillar trims.
Just hope you never have to replace the windscreen.

The PU adhesive can be removed carefully with a heat gun and a sharpened putty knife. Careful with the heat around the windscreen though. Was a challenge removing my body.

molleur
4th November 2019, 22:23
They still have some stock, I only ordered this part last week.

I'll try go contact Justin. Thanks

Lucky@LeMans
4th November 2019, 22:28
You could do that to make it look like it was always there. However, this area of the car is a compromise. If you were really keen it might be possible to extend the bonnet right back to the screen and mount the wipers on the back edge. Lots of work but it would look more authentic, perhaps.

molleur
4th November 2019, 23:18
Too much work.
using the panel is a good compromise. I have sent Justin an email.

Paul L
17th November 2019, 06:40
Lucky - A very belated congratulations. :cool:

By the sounds of it, it appears to have been a very straight forward build.
( Obviously, your previous building experience helps. )

I look forward to seeing the car painted, especially with the bumpers.

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Your garage floor needs a good clean! :icon_twisted:

:icon_wink:

Lucky@LeMans
17th November 2019, 10:06
Hi Paul,

I liked the idea of a convertible as soon as I saw the hard top being built. That was a few years ago and I was still in the middle of my Triumph resto, then the TR turned up ! Only back in the spring of this year was I in a position to ask Dan about a convertible.

The garage is in the process of a revamp by the way ! The chequered lino was fine for a while but impossible to clean. Gone with a light grey two pack floor paint, you can't go wrong with that.

Mitchelkitman
21st November 2019, 10:15
Hi Paul,

The garage is in the process of a revamp by the way ! The chequered lino was fine for a while but impossible to clean. Gone with a light grey two pack floor paint, you can't go wrong with that.

I've not used 2 pack floor paint - indeed in my current garage I have no floor paint:sad:
In my previous garage I put down single-pack floor paint (first coat thinned with white spirit), and it stayed good for years until we moved - but it was slippery when I walked in with wet shoes. I should have mixed some sand or similar into the top coat? Did you do anything to stop the 2 pack being slippery, or doesn't it need it?

Lucky@LeMans
21st November 2019, 21:03
Depends how smooth your floor is I suppose. My floor is pretty textured, the concrete was just tamped down. I've not had a problem but adding sand will give you an anti slip surface for sure.

Lucky@LeMans
27th November 2019, 12:24
I've made the kick plates for the lower door cards.

The car has been promised to be back from the painters Wednesday next week !

Lucky@LeMans
27th November 2019, 12:25
Kick plates shown here......

molleur
27th November 2019, 14:45
Kick plates shown here......

Very well done

DaveP
28th November 2019, 08:01
Yes. Very nice indeed. You cannot beat simple lines. Functional and stylish

I might steal the idea one day (hope that’s ok)

Dave

Lucky@LeMans
28th November 2019, 09:03
This photo is from an original.

Jaguartvr
28th November 2019, 09:18
Find it hard to believe that for the money Ferrari charge that they just use screws to fit the door cards rather than hidden clips like every other manufacturer.

smash
28th November 2019, 13:55
Same on SWB headlining panels!

Incidentally 275 features briefly in new Le Mans 66 flick

Lucky@LeMans
28th November 2019, 16:28
Called in at the paint shop today. They have done loads of prep and they're nearly ready for the final top coat. After a lot of thought I've gone with a slightly lighter shade of red.

Lucky@LeMans
22nd December 2019, 14:09
The paint has turned out really well. I'm mid way through putting all the trim back onto the car. Mostly finishing off jobs so only a couple of weeks away from completion.

Jaguartvr
22nd December 2019, 14:47
Pictures, we meed pictures..........lots of them!

DaveP
22nd December 2019, 17:45
Pictures !!!!

Dave :)

Simon E
23rd January 2020, 15:23
Any new photos of this yet????:cry: I'd say it's going to look the t*ts!

(Apologies to those that clicked on this thread thinking L@LM uploaded some new photos!:icon_biggrin:)

Lucky@LeMans
1st March 2020, 09:30
Been a while since my last update ! The car is basically finished and MOT'd. One or two little cosmetic jobs and its all done, I hope to get those done this week.

Looks like my car is the only convertible.

I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out, it looks great and drives really well. The 2.8 has just the right amount of power and performance. I'm running a standard exhaust, exiting in twin pipes so it sounds spot on. Not too loud, just smooth and refined !

The interior upgrades have worked really well, the seats are comfortable, supportive and together with the subtle changes like the door cards have taken away the obvious Z3 origins.

I haven't fitted any inappropriate badges, I didn't think it would be right to do so. It will keep them guessing at the shows for sure !

Mitchelkitman
1st March 2020, 09:34
Looks like my car is the only convertible, the kit is no longer available which is a real shame.

Is that really the case? Surely not (I hope)

Lucky@LeMans
1st March 2020, 15:30
A few photo's of the finished car. The paint looks a bit orange, that's just my crap photography skills ! There's a layer of dirt on it too, should have given it a good clean and polish ! Some of the photo's are just after Christmas when the car wasn't quite done, but you can see how it has turned out.

Crofty
1st March 2020, 18:20
Looks great, you have made nice job of your car.
How did you make the chrome surrounds on the headlight covers and how are they fitted.
My mx 250 gto is in the paint shop at the moment, after 3 weeks visiting every paint supplier in my area I have given up on Audi Rivera blue no one could mix it correctly it always came out wrong. Think I will be going for Porsche guards red now.

Lucky@LeMans
1st March 2020, 19:04
The chrome surrounds are GRP parts supplied in the kit. I've chrome wrapped them and bonded them in place with 3M tape.

DaveP
1st March 2020, 20:10
Looks bloody nice Lucky. Can’t wait to see it in the flesh. My compliments

Dave

(Bringing it to Stoneleigh perchance?)

Welshkiwi
3rd March 2020, 01:33
Looks a very nice outcome LLM, jealous of the speed!

One question on the trim surrounds, have you 3m taped the trim and the headlight cover to the opening or just the trim? If not how did you end up fixing the cover to the opening? I am scratching my head at the moment because I have already partially cracked one after drilling so am wondering whether I hide retention for that under the trim or still try and make it a feature either inboard of the trim or on the trim.

Trouble is trying to keep the lines visually as clean as possible.

Nice work!

Lucky@LeMans
3rd March 2020, 09:35
The TVR perspex covers needed a lot of trimming in the first place. They were then drilled with 4 mounting holes which were then countersunk for M4 screws. I spotted through the covers and tapped the GRP M4 to suit. Its about 3mm thick around the rim of the light cover so plenty thick enough . The outer trims were then stuck on with heavy duty, out door spec 3m tape.

One word for drilling perspex as there is a lot of BS out there ! You need to grind your drill bit to a very shallow angle. It needs to be sharp ( not blunt as you might read elsewhere ! ) You need to go slow and steady and keep the drill bit cool using water. The plastic can get very hot very quickly which can cause the drill to jam and crack the work. Only use very light pressure, let the drill cut at its own rate. You need to support the perspex directly behind with a wooden block where you are drilling.

molleur
3rd March 2020, 18:25
totally agree with the drilling method. Perspex & Lexan drill bits are available, but heed the method outlined by LL above.
Let the drill bit do the work. Go VERY slowly.

Car photographer
3rd March 2020, 22:03
Very nice

Welshkiwi
4th March 2020, 07:44
The TVR perspex covers needed a lot of trimming in the first place. They were then drilled with 4 mounting holes which were then countersunk for M4 screws. I spotted through the covers and tapped the GRP M4 to suit. Its about 3mm thick around the rim of the light cover so plenty thick enough . The outer trims were then stuck on with heavy duty, out door spec 3m tape.

One word for drilling perspex as there is a lot of BS out there ! You need to grind your drill bit to a very shallow angle. It needs to be sharp ( not blunt as you might read elsewhere ! ) You need to go slow and steady and keep the drill bit cool using water. The plastic can get very hot very quickly which can cause the drill to jam and crack the work. Only use very light pressure, let the drill cut at its own rate. You need to support the perspex directly behind with a wooden block where you are drilling.

Thanks LLM, very full and great advice. Totally appreciated. I shall heed it well....Cheers.

Mitchelkitman
4th March 2020, 08:53
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans

Looks like my car is the only convertible, the kit is no longer available which is a real shame.

#Is that really the case? Surely not (I hope)

Any confirmation (either way) that anyone is able to give (and a reason if it has really been axed)?

Lucky@LeMans
6th March 2020, 20:37
A couple of photo's in todays rare sunlight !

molleur
6th March 2020, 20:42
absolutely stunning!

DaveP
6th March 2020, 22:25
Agreed. That is very tasty indeed. My compliments as that is just right.

Such a crying shame that the Fxxxxxs got involved. 😟

Paul L
7th March 2020, 06:40
Looks like a beautiful production car to me. :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6628&d=1583530336

Hope you get a chance to enjoy driving this one longer than the last one.

You certainly deserve a few sunny (and warm) days with the roof down.

Good luck, Paul. :)

Lucky@LeMans
13th March 2020, 09:15
Took the car to the 3 Counties Show Ground last Sunday. A huge amount of interest in the car. Most of the people there were classic car owners who weren't familiar with the current kit car scene. Most were full of praise and really liked the re body concept of modern BMW running gear with the classic style, rust free body.

There are a few breakfast club meets coming up, Shelsley Walsh, Prescott and Bromyard Speed Festival. If the weather is good I'll be there!

Car photographer
13th March 2020, 22:52
Can't wait to see it somewhere

Lucky@LeMans
14th March 2020, 14:02
For anyone who might be interested I have advertised the car for sale in a couple of places. Testing the water so to speak, I'm not sure how much interest there will be at the moment. I need to make way for the Z3gato project that I've got my name down for, I intend to keep that one for the longer term !

Mitchelkitman
14th March 2020, 19:29
So is it to be the only one, or will we be able to buy a kit?

Lucky@LeMans
16th March 2020, 14:13
So is it to be the only one, or will we be able to buy a kit?

PM Sent

Lucky@LeMans
30th May 2020, 15:59
Some new photo's in the sun !

I'll tax it again from the 1st June. I might get some takers if the car is seen out and about. I'll try my hand at doing a video driving around the Malvern Hills, weather looks set all week !

molleur
30th May 2020, 16:14
Some new photo's in the sun !

I'll tax it again from the 1st June. I might get some takers if the car is seen out and about. I'll try my hand at doing a video driving around the Malvern Hills, weather looks set all week !

Looks amazing!