PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Kiwi's Build Thread - 275GTB

Pages : [1] 2

Welshkiwi
12th September 2017, 04:14
Hi guys,

This is the initial post as I have threatened to make on my build. A long way to go with this as Chris and Dan have some work to do to marry a set of panels up with my donor, but I will putting the short delay to good use with the donor.
Just a quick thanks to Kidge (Edgik), who without his sheer determination in getting something off the ground for this for many years, I would be left in New Zealand unable to get any kit built because of frontal impact regs. So Edgik - Cheers:thumb:

See attached photos, 1999 2.8 Z3 (i know it has 3.0 on the back and no one has any history why) :dizzy:

Basic Plan for the kit will be:

No badges so we are not doing a replica, apart from possibly a custom "Ferrari-esque" Badge on the rear and maybe a couple of "disegno di Pininfarina" on the side as a homage to the great man and the work he did with Scaglietti. The car will be a homage to the era, not a replica.

Intended at present to be Coupe, metallic grey/gun metal with grille and chrome ornaments such as bullet mirrors, bumpers, clear front indicators, teardrops on the side and round taillights.
Interior will remain reasonably stock as I have lucked in with a beautiful black/grey interior with wood effect console, chrome trim on the gauges and good spec in electric condiments and side airbags etc. Will show pictures when I get more underway. Wooden rim steering wheel will eventuate.

Final trappings will lay 4 pipe exhaust underneath "with the required orchestra" and wire wheels and appropriate rubber. I am hoping to keep the donor originals whilst I am running round "in work and in primer" (As they are nice already), when the BMW centre's disappear. I will need a bit of time in the primer coat to normalise the "green" fibreglass and get all the residual stresses and cracking out from the bolt/bonding process and the New Zealand UV rays out. Not going to be happy with a few $K's of paint having cracks in it after a few months!

Looking forward to keeping you all in the loop with this. You are more than welcome to pay me a visit during the build, UBER fare though may be a bit restrictive for you though!

Cheers - Here we go!

Paul L
12th September 2017, 05:42
WelshKiwi – Sounds like a good plan to me.

I know the development of Kidge’s car took a lot of time and effort, but it looks well worth it to me. :cool:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/binklebracket/DSCF8137a.jpg

I also followed the approach of getting my car on the road without paint first.
( Although taking it back off the road for paint has taken longer than I expected. :rolleyes: )

Good luck, Paul. :)

Welshkiwi
12th September 2017, 06:37
Cheers Paul. A plan is only a point to deviate from, but at the moment I think I have it as covered as we can for the spec. Only time will tell! Cheers for the photo, the more I look at the lines of kidges, the more I want to get underway. Have to make sure I give it the respect it deserves. Cheers Mark.

Jaguartvr
12th September 2017, 07:38
Will you be following Kidges window design?
I wonder if a coupe side window could work?
Did Chris take splash moulds of the bumpers?

Probably won't be a problem in NZ but on my Griffith I had terrible problems with the headlight lenses misting up.

Welshkiwi
12th September 2017, 08:19
Will you be following Kidges window design?
I wonder if a coupe side window could work?
Did Chris take splash moulds of the bumpers?

Probably won't be a problem in NZ but on my Griffith I had terrible problems with the headlight lenses misting up.

Hi JagTvr. Windows are likely to be original Z3 to keep the window function etc. Chris/Dan are working on the options for this. Coupe side window probably would work, just some changes to the mould would be required.
Chris has moulds of original bumpers so should be able to supply. Noted about the headlight covers. If I get an issue I may carry out some mods underneath to duct a small amount of air into the interior which should sort that issue. The lenses are attached externally and not internally like the Griffith, so it may not have those issues. Cheers.

Barber
12th September 2017, 14:11
Good news, exciting, and good luck for your journey.

Paul L
13th September 2017, 21:03
WelshKiwi - Hi Mark,

This video popped up in mythe "Recommended" section of YouTube the other day.

If you haven't seen it before, it might also help with your motivation. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzM9xcGAhbE

Mister Towed
14th September 2017, 06:17
Great short film Paul. Love the line '...who needs a radio?' He really sums up what classic car ownership is all about whether it's a ten million dollar Ferrari or a home built special.

Really beginning to warm to the looks of the 275 too, first impressions for me were that it's about a decade too young looking for my taste, but it's really grown on me as this thread has evolved. Would be nice to see it go into production, whether that be as a kit or turnkey builds.

Welshkiwi
14th September 2017, 06:45
WelshKiwi - Hi Mark,

This video popped up in mythe "Recommended" section of YouTube the other day.

If you haven't seen it before, it might also help with your motivation. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzM9xcGAhbE

Thanks Paul, I think I have seen this about 5 times in the last week! There is a lot of emotion and romance in these old cars. I must admit I am starting to get a bit of that myself and I am only building a kit! Good news today, hoping that the kit will be produced and landed in NZ by around Feb. So I really have to get into sourcing bits. Have the headlight covers already, just need to put some time into door handles and rear tailights/side repeaters as the "main trouble" bits. Cheers Mark.

Lucky@LeMans
14th September 2017, 08:10
Hi guys,

This is the initial post as I have threatened to make on my build. A long way to go with this as Chris and Dan have some work to do to marry a set of panels up with my donor, but I will putting the short delay to good use with the donor.
Just a quick thanks to Kidge (Edgik), who without his sheer determination in getting something off the ground for this for many years, I would be left in New Zealand unable to get any kit built because of frontal impact regs. So Edgik - Cheers:thumb:

See attached photos, 1999 2.8 Z3 (i know it has 3.0 on the back and no one has any history why) :dizzy:

Basic Plan for the kit will be:

No badges so we are not doing a replica, apart from possibly a custom "Ferrari-esque" Badge on the rear and maybe a couple of "disegno di Pininfarina" on the side as a homage to the great man and the work he did with Scaglietti. The car will be a homage to the era, not a replica.

Intended at present to be Coupe, metallic grey/gun metal with grille and chrome ornaments such as bullet mirrors, bumpers, clear front indicators, teardrops on the side and round taillights.
Interior will remain reasonably stock as I have lucked in with a beautiful black/grey interior with wood effect console, chrome trim on the gauges and good spec in electric condiments and side airbags etc. Will show pictures when I get more underway. Wooden rim steering wheel will eventuate.

Final trappings will lay 4 pipe exhaust underneath "with the required orchestra" and wire wheels and appropriate rubber. I am hoping to keep the donor originals whilst I am running round "in work and in primer" (As they are nice already), when the BMW centre's disappear. I will need a bit of time in the primer coat to normalise the "green" fibreglass and get all the residual stresses and cracking out from the bolt/bonding process and the New Zealand UV rays out. Not going to be happy with a few $K's of paint having cracks in it after a few months!

Looking forward to keeping you all in the loop with this. You are more than welcome to pay me a visit during the build, UBER fare though may be a bit restrictive for you though!

Cheers - Here we go!

Good luck with your build. Will be interesting to see your take on the final look of the car. Good idea not to paint until it has all settled down.

NeilF355
14th September 2017, 08:36
Have the headlight covers already, just need to put some time into door handles and rear tailights/side repeaters as the "main trouble" bits. Cheers Mark.

Hi Mark
Have you considered the Lancia Stratos / Fiat 850 & 1100 rear lights?
They have a rectangular centre reflector rather than the round one on the original as the only difference and I have seen pictures of original 275s with these lights fitted.
Good luck with the build.
Neil

Welshkiwi
14th September 2017, 09:01
Hi Neil, yup been scouring those types as well as a few alternatives such as BMW 2002 and some more modern repurpose ideas. Thanks for the hints.
Just managed to secure clear front indicators, Fiat 500d, with alloy rims.
Hopefully a good size for the kit when it turns up.
Currently thinking Morris Oxford boot hinges as they are about 10" in length so should be a good size on the back panels.
Cheers for all the good wishes guys, really looking forward to getting stuck into this build and making sure I do it right.:tea:

Welshkiwi
17th September 2017, 08:10
Hi guys quick update. Parts are coming along. Picked up Fiat 850/lancia stratos style lights with surrounds today. - from ricambio in Wallington, London. Won't see them until Chris/Dan decide to show as they are going straight to them. Not the cheapest option, but when you want a certain look for the car, it is hard to deviate too far away from original style. Fingers crossed they do the business. Still looking for side repeaters in a teardrop style. Possibly fiat may be an option. Also scouring for door handles. Cheers M.

casamolino
17th September 2017, 08:41
Morning , these are what i have used ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seitenblinker-Repeater-Ferrari-250-SWB-330-GT-275-GTB-500-ALTISSIMO-/401387166902?hash=item5d748a1cb6:g:HesAAOSwbqpTxER K

would they be suitable for you? Geoff .

Welshkiwi
17th September 2017, 09:07
Thanks for that Geoff....
They look the business. You may have just allocated more of my budget! Cheers Mark.:icon_mrgreen:

Welshkiwi
19th September 2017, 07:40
Epic fail with the bambina 500d indicators. The supplier said "not new" will need a polish. More like: need retention studs unseizing and straightened, supply of lense screws, Bakelite cracked and missing in terminals, bulbs seized in holders etc, etc. Guy has been good and heading back to him but early lesson learned. Buy new! Choose wisely!. There is only so much that can be brought back to life...

Jaguartvr
19th September 2017, 07:58
Nearly everything that I bought "cheap" has been replaced.
Some things however are best bought 2nd hand.
Most of the new chrome items have started showing signs of rust and have been returned. I bought a set of "new old stock" door handles and they are still as good as new. Good old chrome is much better than new chrome.

Have a look here for lights
http://www.superformance.co.uk/360/lights.html

I used the same indicators as Casamolino, look great and I think they are stainless steel. No rust yet!

Welshkiwi
19th September 2017, 08:21
Nearly everything that I bought "cheap" has been replaced.
Some things however are best bought 2nd hand.
Most of the new chrome items have started showing signs of rust and have been returned. I bought a set of "new old stock" door handles and they are still as good as new. Good old chrome is much better than new chrome.

Have a look here for lights
http://www.superformance.co.uk/360/lights.html

I used the same indicators as Casamolino, look great and I think they are stainless steel. No rust yet!

Thanks fella, I certainly will have to balance between vintage, tired and NOS/NNS. Good to hear you went that way with the indicators. Have been looking at superformance, will have to dive in a bit deeper with the credit card! Cheers for the good advice.

Welshkiwi
5th October 2017, 04:55
Hi guys, just a real quick update.
Getting close to finalising the kit spec, going to ring Chris today so hoping for some news on that front. Also hoping the christmas completion is doable as well.
Update on the parts situation:
Followed some well laid advice from others so at present have
- Fiat 850/Lancia Stratos tailights.
- Teardrop side repeaters (ala casarino/jaguartvr)
- Carello clear glass 68mm front indicators/park etc.
- Griffith headlight covers
- Lucas rectangular fog (original)
- Mk1 Capri door hardware (just to see what they may look like on the kit as they are nice vintage shape but not Ferrari style)
- Pininfarina side badges.
Donor is running well at the moment, however have been chasing a parasitic drain potential over a few days but can't find anything wrong as have a good 40 milliamps of drain on the battery with everything off/shut up. I think my kids may be to blame with the doors! Grrrr. Battery will get a full charge on the weekend and check in case it is a self discharge issue.
Keep you up to date with the plans, hopefully get some pictures soon!
Happy building, Mark.

Barber
5th October 2017, 06:11
Exciting times, so good luck. I know, the waiting is frustrating, but buying the accessories is at least progress. Chris will start on my project in January. I hope to secure a Z3 shortly, and if so, I will commence on seat changes and probably the dash whilst it is still a soft top, as access will be so much easier. Also, the parcel shelf, as one of the treads mentioned that it is really difficult to treat it once in due to tight access.

Welshkiwi
5th October 2017, 06:18
Exciting times, so good luck. I know, the waiting is frustrating, but buying the accessories is at least progress. Chris will start on my project in January. I hope to secure a Z3 shortly, and if so, I will commence on seat changes and probably the dash whilst it is still a soft top, as access will be so much easier. Also, the parcel shelf, as one of the treads mentioned that it is really difficult to treat it once in due to tight access.

Good ideas Barber. I am keeping my interior stock at present as it looks pretty vintage already with the dark tones in there. Definitely will be spending some good time on the shelf area myself. Going to be a dark leather trim to match the rest of the car with either some classic style netting to secure loose items or maybe some straps/buckles etc. just have to wait and see once the roof is out. Headlining will be cream colour, have seen a superb original 275 in gunmetal grey, black leather and cream headlining which ticks all my boxes! What kit you starting? I have seen the Z3gato thread but can't work out what kit bits from Chris you will be basing it on as a starter! Cheers Mark

Barber
5th October 2017, 07:08
I am having a new Z3gato kit built - see my thread on Tribute builds, which cobbles together bits from existing models and will make them look like a combination of the various Zagato models designed late 50s to early 60s. I specified stock windows, which is probably where Chris is leveraging the work for yours (if you are still going that route).

Jaguartvr
5th October 2017, 07:46
Mini door handles are used on the 250 swb.
They are very simple to fit and work well. Small things like door handles can cause a lot of extra work and if they don't work properly will cause you a lot of grief.

Barber, when you say Z3gato, is it the silver Aston style or one of the red cars?

Barber
5th October 2017, 08:57
Given where we are starting from, it will be less like the red cars, and more like the Maserati, Ferrari and AM etc, using styling cues from them all. I am depending on Chris and Dan's skill to make sure it doesn't turn out like a lemon.

Whereas lancelot link's cars take there cues from a variety of 50's racers, mine takes its cues from turn of the decade racing coupes.

Welshkiwi
5th October 2017, 23:25
Mini door handles are used on the 250 swb.
They are very simple to fit and work well. Small things like door handles can cause a lot of extra work and if they don't work properly will cause you a lot of grief.

Thanks Jag. If you have any photos or setup info on how you did your mini handles it would be appreciated. Certainly looking at that kind of look. I am fitting the hardware high up on the door line like the original.
Cheers Mark.

Welshkiwi
6th October 2017, 06:48
Spoke with Chris yesterday, here's the rundown on the kit plan.

- 275GTB coupe, with standard Z3 windows in the design, looking at options for the visual lines to be similar to the original coupe window recess.
- Slate grey/Graphite grey RAL colour
- Standard interior black leather (wooden racing wheel) with some "trimmings" for the rear shelf and headlining cream colour.
- Aston style fuel filler on the rear quarter top surface
- Fibre-glass bumpers - will be chrome wrapped to complete.
- Ferrari original style lights.
- Stainless sill stripe on the sides.
Production looking around Christmas time.

Here's what I am basing our hard work for the end result to get to! Can't wait to get going.......:wof:

NZ Steve
17th October 2017, 03:11
Hi if your car was 1st registered in NZ before the 31st March 1999 and NZ new u don't have to worry about the frontal impact area and the front bumper can be removed :decision: Steve

Welshkiwi
17th October 2017, 03:18
Hi if your car was 1st registered in NZ before the 31st March 1999 and NZ new u don't have to worry about the frontal impact area and the front bumper can be removed :decision: Steve

Hi Steve, no on both accounts unfortunately. When I was talking to the LVTA guys after seeing the photos of a "before and after" job for the 250 SWB they weren't sure that even the frontal impact regs would save it as some thoughts were heading towards structural rigidity between the two absorbers points/chassis rails. I wasn't going to get involved in all that which was why I went for the 275GTB. Now I am really glad anyway because I have fallen in lust with the body shape and the rarity of the car! Can't wait for the panels to arrive....:icon_mrgreen:

Welshkiwi
17th October 2017, 04:57
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJmfJl8W5YcEYz4J3

Trying out my image options before I start. Hopefully here's the starting point!

Paul L
17th October 2017, 05:23
WelshKiwi – Sorry, I missed your grey colour choice. :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4619&d=1507272243

I am sure that will make the car look more original that painting it red.

Did you see this build with a similar(ish) colour?

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6186

And finally, good to see your donor car too.

Welshkiwi
17th October 2017, 05:34
Cheers Paul, coming together nicely. Just not sure I can wait until Feb for the panels to arrive though! That car is nice, I am looking at that colour or just a touch lighter. Looking at the NZ sky as we speak I think I can see the exact colour! :rain::rain:

nzidol
21st October 2017, 04:18
Hi Mark,

Good to see another Tribute kit coming this way. I have the exact same Z3, although a 98 model so I can remove the front bumper.
Note that the rule is build before 1 march 1999 and imported before 1 april 2002, so does not have to be NZ new... Mine was imported in 2001 from South-Africa and like yours in perfect condition.

The remark on structural integrity seems a bit strange given that the bar is mounted on shock absorbers and a rotating pin there would not be much intended structural integrity there. I am ordering a 250 California so should not need any certification just a normal wof.... :playball:

In discussing the 250 Coupe with the LVVTA here in Wellington they did point to https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Interior_Impact.pdf section 2.4.9

all sections of a roll-bar or a roll-cage positioned adjacent to any A-Zone
must be covered in a high density energy absorbing material which:
(i) meets SFI specification 45.1 or another equivalent motor-sporting
specification; and
(ii) is not less than 15 mm in thickness in the area facing the occupant
cell.
A-Zone is 160mm either side of the center line of the seat and should be completely clear..

With a cabrio you can have unprotected steel bars next to your head but with a fixed roof you can't. :fish: SFI 45.1 is a motor-racing spec and only makes sense when you are wearing a helmet. Clearly the rule targets certification of Targa car's but you probably need to be aware of it and also see if they don't object to the construction of the roof support (if you call it a roll cage they certainly will have lots of requirements).
Adding rubber will reduce the head space further.... and yes I did sit in a 250 Coupe when I was in Europe and, with standard seats and being 6.6", it is cramped, another car with bucket seats was more like a standard z3. Just need to find a smaller steering wheel....

It looks like http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com has very reasonable shipping cost and they don't charge VAT on export, so looking forward to receiving the headlamp rings. Most Mini parts are readily available in NZ but rear window could be a problem...

Looking forward to the day we can have both cars in a picture.....

Cheers,

Ido

Welshkiwi
21st October 2017, 18:49
Hi Idol,

Cheers for all the info, I am going to have to look into the rollcage/roof protection piece a little bit more as when talking with the LVTA it wasn't something they saw as a highlight when discussed.

I may have to be careful with that one.

With the frontal impact regs etc for the 250SWB, I am certainly not suggesting that it can't be done, because I know that time of entry/build reg is a factor. It just wasn't an option with the donor's that I could find that were in good enough nick. The only piece of info that also was key for me was that after the guys in Wellington discussed the issue at length with some photos of examples from me of previous builds, they commented in my donor case some kind of structure would need to remain between the two absorber points if removed. It was discussed briefly that may be the case with any example (whether it met import timing dates for the frontal regs or not), however as I believed in my case I couldn't fit any structure in there with the proximity of the front clam edge to the radiator, it was a no go for me and I picked the 275GTB kit which kept the front bar anyway. All I would recommend is that you can get surety from the LVVTA on that front bar if you haven't already got it. Expensive if we get it wrong!

Keep in touch, feel free to PM if you want, look forward to the day we may be able to get two cars together in NZ for pictures etc! As you know I am in Auckland. Cheers for all the good tips, Mark.

nzidol
22nd October 2017, 01:40
Hi Mark,

Planning to stay within the threshold regulations https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf such that there is no lvvta involvement. Alas that also includes not moving the petrol cap....

The only reference I can find to chassis rails is in https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Frontal_Impact.pdf section 2.2.2.b

any chassis rail or sub-frame rail bridging components provided by the
vehicle manufacturer (such as structural tie-bars behind the front
bumper) are not removed or significantly modified.

Which is a recent change, so certifiers will still be building experience around that, but as far as I can see does not apply to the Z3 bumper.

Cheers,

Ido

Welshkiwi
26th October 2017, 04:46
Thanks to casamolino and jagtvr for the great tips.
Small steps for the car but you can only eat an elephant 1 chunk at a time!

Welshkiwi
2nd November 2017, 06:44
Hey all, hoping for some exciting updates soon for you all. Spoke at length with Chris last night and won’t give too much detail as concepts are fine, don’t want to place any pressure on top of him with what can be done.
However we are on the same page with our thoughts and visual touches for how the car will look. A lot of agreement in how it will look.
We are hoping soon for some pictures to share, rear panels are being trialled this week and work on the form of the windows going on with the new mule that Chris has.
Some locked in details tho are:
Original z3 windows being used.
Monza type fuel filler on top of rh rear quarter panel.
RAL 7015 slate grey gelcoat colour.
Looking possible the kit will be completed production by Xmas as planned. I cannot wait to get started, the wait will be unbearable. (Better dedicate my time on the donor to keep my fingers in activity!) Update you soon......

Jaguartvr
2nd November 2017, 08:07
If you can't wait you can always prepare the lights and indicators.
I thought they would be a quick part of the build but was very wrong.
Are you allowed to cut any of the bodyshell away in NZ? If so you can remove the rear panel in the boot and flip the crash bar upside down so you get one large boot rather than 2 smaller compartments.

Welshkiwi
2nd November 2017, 08:17
If you can't wait you can always prepare the lights and indicators.
I thought they would be a quick part of the build but was very wrong.
Are you allowed to cut any of the bodyshell away in NZ? If so you can remove the rear panel in the boot and flip the crash bar upside down so you get one large boot rather than 2 smaller compartments.

Hi Jag,

The donor has to stay on the road for the summer down under really, so I will be limited to “normal bits” such as discs/pads and some sealing work/ tidying the interior as required. I am sure cutting the back panel out will go against the regs in nz. I am getting by with pretty minimal LVV certification due only panel swapping etc. Will look into it though when the panels arrive in case doable. Good thoughts.

Welshkiwi
9th November 2017, 07:02
Hi all,

The magic has begun and we are underway.
The following photos are not my panels but the ones that Chris/Dan are putting their wizardry to, to make the concepts that we have discussed come to life.

The rear panel is on the mule with a stripped off roof covering/structure still there and being modified to accept the Z3 standard window glass. - What we are envisaging is the recess/profile of the 275 GTB window, with the Z3 glass and sealing surface inside that profile - Let's see what the guys can conjure up. Chris seems to think that what we are looking at is certainly doable. The top surface will be covered with a rain/water gutter the full length of the glass and almost back to the quarter panel vents.

I'll keep you in the loop with progress as there are a few other concepts planned that hopefully will come to fruition. Looks like Barbers Z3 Zagato will certainly have a good base to start from with the learning's on the window shape/setup.

Cheers Mark.

Barber
9th November 2017, 07:56
Step by step, the dream draws ever closer.:smile:

Welshkiwi
9th November 2017, 15:20
Step by step, the dream draws ever closer.:smile:

That it does sir! Really interested now to see the angles that are formed with the rear window edge/body transition flow. From the pictures it certainly looks like it will work and we’ll be able to keep the functionality of the glass and seals etc. Exciting times....:thumb:

rossnzwpi
28th November 2017, 16:47
Hey Welshkiwi, another Aucklander here. I'm following your build and plans avidly. I'm not sure if you have those front indicators yet but I think they are the same as my old Lancia Fulvia. These are around. Lancia parts are available from specialists - I think there's someone in Hamilton selling them, certainly in Australia there are Lancia specialists with them. As an (expensive) example - Mr Fiat in USA sells them:

http://mrfiat.com/italian/lancia/fulvia-coupe-1-2-3-series/lights/lancia-fulvia-coupe-2-3-series-altissimo-side-marker-light-set.html

One place to ask for all things Fiat, Ferrari, Lancia, Alfa (classic and new) is Mal Simmonds at Dino Services in Cambridge - there's nothing he doesn't know about them and a nice guy to chat about alternative trim and lights with.
Good luck with the build!
Ross

Jaguartvr
28th November 2017, 17:33
Much cheaper on Ebay £67

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seitenblinker-Repeater-Ferrari-250-SWB-330-GT-275-GTB-500-ALTISSIMO-/401433005339?

Welshkiwi
29th November 2017, 03:02
Hey Welshkiwi, another Aucklander here. I'm following your build and plans avidly. I'm not sure if you have those front indicators yet but I think they are the same as my old Lancia Fulvia. These are around. Lancia parts are available from specialists - I think there's someone in Hamilton selling them, certainly in Australia there are Lancia specialists with them. As an (expensive) example - Mr Fiat in USA sells them:

http://mrfiat.com/italian/lancia/fulvia-coupe-1-2-3-series/lights/lancia-fulvia-coupe-2-3-series-altissimo-side-marker-light-set.html

One place to ask for all things Fiat, Ferrari, Lancia, Alfa (classic and new) is Mal Simmonds at Dino Services in Cambridge - there's nothing he doesn't know about them and a nice guy to chat about alternative trim and lights with.
Good luck with the build!
Ross

Hi Ross, great to hear someone with the similar passion is in NZ and in Auckland! Thanks so much for the contact and hints for items, as far as lights go I am all sorted apart from the main headlights - Just trying to work out whether I go sealed pods/bodies which will mean access required through the headlight cover or semi/sealed H4 with pilot and some rearwards protection of the loom/connectors etc. I may have to wait until the kit arrives to see how much room I have got. I have the Italian teardrop side repeaters, carello glass clear indicators (see previous post) and Chris in the uK has already received the Lancia Stratos/Ferrari-esque rear assy's with centre strip reflector.
Have been in contact with Chris recently and hoping for some updates soon. Keep in touch! (I will look into the hints you have given me!) Cheers.

Welshkiwi
29th November 2017, 03:05
Much cheaper on Ebay £67

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seitenblinker-Repeater-Ferrari-250-SWB-330-GT-275-GTB-500-ALTISSIMO-/401433005339?

They are the ones I have Jag and very nice they are to. Came direct from Italy with no issues. As I have mentioned above I am hoping for some updates soon, I have the rear window shipping to Chris this week and the rubbers/trims etc. Also hoping to get the AST100 fuel filler from CBS if they can get stock back in. If not I need to find a decent priced/good standard locking fuel filler that will fit in Chris's 5" round recess on the rear wing. Likely to be Aston or Monza style for the look I am going for and not the "classic" ones.
Cheers.

Jaguartvr
29th November 2017, 06:50
Have a look on eBay.com They have a lot of Monza style "gas caps". I bought mine from there and it was much cheaper than the ones listed in the UK.
Don't forget to replace petrol with Gas in the search and make sure you don't get a motorcycle one as they are much smaller.
Search
flip top
monza
Aston
cobra
etc etc

Hours of fun to be had!

very quick search
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Small-2-5-Polished-Aluminum-Shelby-Cobra-Style-Flip-Top-Gas-Fuel-Cap/131499842182?epid=675419935&hash=item1e9e005a86:g:me0AAOSw6HJZyX2d&vxp=mtr

Barber
29th November 2017, 17:55
I got mine from here, mainly because I wanted one to lock and the other just for show.

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/fuel-system/fuel-filler-caps-filler-hoses.html?brand=76&p=1

Was also interested in these, but they were out of stock at the time.https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/aston-cap-assembly-complete-with-neck-and-locking-insert

Welshkiwi
30th November 2017, 03:52
Thanks guys for the fuel filler tips.
I have been scouring Mocal/Burton/Europa/CBS/Ebay UK and US as well as others for weeks. Because I can't "touch and feel" I am just dragging my heels a bit on the purchase. I have a 5" round hole to fill (ooh err) and need to make a decision.
As far as you guys go you have been happy with your purchases? Finish and construction good? Cheers.

Barber
30th November 2017, 20:25
You may best go for a 3" like JagTVR.

Welshkiwi
7th December 2017, 01:35
Hi all,
Fuel filler secured and on its way to Chris for inclusion in the kit. Settled on the classic look which makes it a bit more 250 GTO looking.

https://www.europaspares.com/exterior-parts/fuel-caps/classic-fuel-cap-3-flange-funnel-locking-insert-for-2-hose.html

Rear window is already with Chris so just waiting on parts supply of rubbers and trims to get there as well. Hopefully some photos in the next week, spoke with Chris last night and all the body panels are on a trial car being fettled/changed/adjusted so that the final panels can eventually be produced. Can't wait to see how it is forming up and how the windows will be looking. We are making a few changes in a few areas so I am hoping when able to show you it will be a fine looking beast with some surprises.
I am buzzing!

Barber
26th December 2017, 09:17
How are things going matey? Any pics to share?

Welshkiwi
27th December 2017, 02:39
How are things going matey? Any pics to share?

Hi Barber, unfortunately not really. Chris is behind with the production, a few projects on the go, a bout of illness and the work involved in making the buck has been a bit more than expected.

I have seen some photos of panels on the mule changing them to reflect the final buck but way off yet. The areas for the windows hadn’t been worked yet and the rear window is being raised in the rear panel to be more like the original. Rear bootlid is getting widened as well. The original grey panels from Kidges kit are being sliced in certain areas to make the profile changes for the window transitions/changes work.

Chris is back on deck 2nd Jan so hopefully once spoken with him I will have a better view on it. At present we have agreed a January production date, hopefully by third week if all goes well. Cheers! Enjoy the new year!

Welshkiwi
11th January 2018, 07:21
Hi guys, quick update on what is happening my end.
Chris is behind, but totally understand with the changes we are making, the amount of work he has on and the Xmas break etc. So we are in this position.
Another set of hands coming into chris’s Workshop for a while who is tasked with getting the buck ready and mould/panels well underway. End result we are hoping panels will be finished and crated in about 5 weeks.
So for me delivery will hopefully now be approx mid March. Look forward to sharing photos in the next fortnight when I have some, but the changes we are doing with the rear panel/window, recessed lights and fuel filler, the boot lid sizing and the windows being standard should be exciting! Keep ya posted!

Lucky@LeMans
11th January 2018, 17:31
Sounds like progress is being made, we are looking forward to seeing the special work you are having done. Has Dan got any updates on the convertible 275 project ?

Welshkiwi
11th January 2018, 17:39
Sounds like progress is being made, we are looking forward to seeing the special work you are having done. Has Dan got any updates on the convertible 275 project ?

Hi lucky, yup we are moving forward. The work being done will hopefully mean the standard windows are a viable option in these kits and I know is what Barber has specified for his Z3Gato so will help there. The other changes should make the GT lines/boot lines flow really well on the rear panel etc.

No discussions with Dan so can’t really help on the convertible front, but would assume once the hard yards are done on the coupe, you would hope that both coupe and convertible are viable. Maybe drop Chris a line to find out more? Cheers.

Welshkiwi
7th February 2018, 07:37
Hi Gang,

we are making progress. Here is a wee preview of the magic that Chris and Dan are cracking on with on my "Italia 275GTB".

You can see below they are working on the L/H side of the car, to get the changes and lines right before they transpose to full buck and then eventually panel production.

You will see we have raised the rear window lines on the car, making slight changes to the roofline to fit the new profile. Bootlid has been widened to keep the lines of the rear arch flowing into that transition. Side Window shape is coming on, you can see we have kept the Z3 window but have put in an infill panel that once finished will reflect the lines of/tribute to the original 275 window shape. Chris/Dan are also working the rain gutter lines to reflect that shape as well and protect the new window setup.

Love the work going into this, it is not easy and it needs skills that certainly don't sit with me to be able to do, so I can only thanks Chris and Dan so far for their dedication to get this project this far and eventually to completion. - Will update you once I have spoken to Chris for thoughts on when will be finished and when buck will show what the finalised panels will be like. I am a happy man!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4749/25258273897_db6f9c00cd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EtZfQZ)New bootlid lines (https://flic.kr/p/EtZfQZ) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4608/39230964565_9301ef26d9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22LGWYM)Developing the window (https://flic.kr/p/22LGWYM) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/25258273307_78aeb203b7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EtZfEP)Buck in progress (https://flic.kr/p/EtZfEP) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Barber
7th February 2018, 08:46
Great news, for you and me. The new roofline and windows work are needed for my car too, so I am happy for the development so far. As the planned capacity increase did not work out as planned, my front end work has largely been pushed back behind the 275. The rear cannot be done until the roof is finalised. But I am content for Chris and Dan to do the right things.

Jaguartvr
7th February 2018, 12:02
I did a quick visit to Tribute last week to get a few pointers which were very helpful. I can't believe how much progress they have made in a week on the roof and door window area.
Have sold myself on a Zagato convertible so am trying to save up some beer tokens.
Having got a lot of pointers from Chris it has fired up my enthusiasm again which had been suffering due to the cold weather. Have managed to spend two whole days out in the cold working on my project and am making some progress.

lancelot link
7th February 2018, 19:34
Looking very good , liking that ......The cold weather is a right bast@rd for working on the cars , I . like Chris and many others , work with the door open , valuing natural light ...so sometimes I actually go outside to warm up !!

Welshkiwi
8th February 2018, 01:43
Looking very good , liking that ......The cold weather is a right bast@rd for working on the cars , I . like Chris and many others , work with the door open , valuing natural light ...so sometimes I actually go outside to warm up !!

You are bang on! Spoke with Chris last night about the temps and they are battling on. Seems to be able to cope with it but wary of getting ill all the same! Chris is hoping buck will be in a “close to completion” state somewhere around the end of next week/start of the next. I agree that it is looking very good from what I can see, can’t wait for the next installment. I know that Chris is using this as a good development opportunity that will assist Barber, but likely to flow onto the wider kits they produce. The good news for me is all the changes have made the roof higher and wider which will assist in fitting in my pink crash helmet! :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:Cheers!

Welshkiwi
8th February 2018, 05:12
I did a quick visit to Tribute last week to get a few pointers which were very helpful. I can't believe how much progress they have made in a week on the roof and door window area.
Have sold myself on a Zagato convertible so am trying to save up some beer tokens.
Having got a lot of pointers from Chris it has fired up my enthusiasm again which had been suffering due to the cold weather. Have managed to spend two whole days out in the cold working on my project and am making some progress.

Good to hear some progress your end jag, the Zagato is a very nice car! The progress is only one side at present and the guys still need to work out the window infill/sealing areas for the glass. They are on to it now tho and progress should come thick and fast. I am struggling to wait but I know good things come to those who wait!

Barber
12th February 2018, 11:53

It used to be like that at my father in law's house in Yorkshire.

Welshkiwi
22nd February 2018, 08:37
Hi guys,

Here's a few photos that I received from Chris in respect to progress to the buck. (End of last week) Hoping for some more expansive views of the car soon! I am liking how it is forming up though, think it will turn out very well.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4699/40371995832_5b8328c26d_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4764/39705674724_b7bcdafb61_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4760/40371996272_f55528ed9c_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4758/40371996782_a7398227f1_z.jpg

Welshkiwi
16th March 2018, 03:40
Hi guys,
Heres the latest in the Italia 275 project. Buck is well underway now, working on final sanding/filling and sealing of the shape and then onwards towards splash moulds and panels. You can see still a little work around the windows but the overall shape and how the Z3 window will look in the shape is there. I think the wheels that I have currently (18") should fit well in the space at least whilst I am building it/developing it - it should muscle the car up a bit which will then give me a decision between that look and the preferred vintage look. Still have touches such as rear quarter recessed filler, frenched in lights etc to work through which will really set the car off. Bumpers as well as the sill fitted will certainly help. Liking how it is forming up now.

Will be talking to Chris now on all the final bits and pieces to mould and final panels and how it all comes together to take a trip over the seas!

Barber can now see his roof line that will match up with the 250 SWB rear.

Cheers!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4785/40126208154_7bebba571b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/248PiH5)buck3 (https://flic.kr/p/248PiH5) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4785/40793272362_90f4104415_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/259LbE7)buck2 (https://flic.kr/p/259LbE7) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/801/40793272632_28887d8010_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/259LbJL)buck1 (https://flic.kr/p/259LbJL) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Barber
16th March 2018, 05:44
Mark,
That is shaping up nicely. How long before it is ready for moulds, a couple of weeks? Shipped in April? What colour are you going to plump for as final finish? It looks like it would be amazing in black, especially if you go for the muscle car look.

Jaguartvr
16th March 2018, 05:50
Looking good but not keen on the doorstep approach to the side window area, it looks as if it has been fitted with the wrong glass. Personally, I would like to see it blended in so it is not so obvious.

Welshkiwi
16th March 2018, 05:53
Mark,
That is shaping up nicely. How long before it is ready for moulds, a couple of weeks? Shipped in April? What colour are you going to plump for as final finish? It looks like it would be amazing in black, especially if you go for the muscle car look.

Hi Neil, not sure on the final finish date, but Chris did tell me once the buck was complete then final moulds and panels is the easier/controllable bit which should come quicker. But certainly hoping for an April ship which will mean I will get it in June sometime and may mean back on the road by Xmas.

Final colour is going to be dark metallic grey. Love the vintage grey look and potentially going to have an offset silver racing stripe down the length over the roof. That is only potential at this point.

Still planning the vintage/wires or Dunlop racing look wheels, but once the kit is on who knows, I may just like the muscle look. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
16th March 2018, 05:59
Looking good but not keen on the doorstep approach to the side window area, it looks as if it has been fitted with the wrong glass. Personally, I would like to see it blended in so it is not so obvious.

Each to his own jag, but the lines now give options. It can be emphasised, it can be coloured similar to the glass coloration to blend into an original window shape, or can be painted full car and just give a nod with a shadow line to the original window.

If none of that works it can always be filled later on. What we wanted to make sure we had were options, I don’t think we can make a call on that until we see the panels completed and the car in full colour so things don’t clash as much.
Cheers tho!

Barber
17th March 2018, 20:38

If it was filled, there is space for a couple more vents forward of the existing. This would maintain the visuals, if not the model design accuracy. For the Z3gato I would prefer it filled in as we are going to fit a quarter light where the vents are now.

Welshkiwi
11th April 2018, 09:33
Hi guys, a few pictures paint a thousand words so below is where we are at.

Buck is finished (sealed and primed yesterday) and is undergoing moulds being made this week. Next week is planned for panels being manufactured along with the ancillary bits I am having done and the following week packing/crating and ready to ship. Great to be at this point! A nice bit of work has been completed on the buck which means the panels/roof crown is looking sharp, transitions and body lines/panels lines look good and stock window seal carriers are able to be fitted which mean standard windows all the way. More pics will be coming soon!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/790/26513316187_a9d86eea95_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GoTFca)final buck roofline (https://flic.kr/p/GoTFca) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/797/26513315087_f1a6b19bf6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GoTESc)final buck bootlid (https://flic.kr/p/GoTESc) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/798/40669961704_7709dbf657_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbGh)IMG_1988 (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbGh) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/901/26513314427_183d44b089_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GoTEEP)IMG_2004 (https://flic.kr/p/GoTEEP) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/894/40669961104_3b83eb611c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbvW)IMG_2002 (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbvW) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/898/40669960144_05d5deecb6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbeo)IMG_2001 (https://flic.kr/p/24XSbeo) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Barber
11th April 2018, 10:15
Yahoo! Great progress. Clear the space and get your plans clear.

DaveP
11th April 2018, 21:53
Good to see another Tribute creation coming along.

This place is missing the development threads.

That said I’m loving Lucky@LeMans’ ally body creation

Dave

Welshkiwi
12th April 2018, 08:51
Thanks Barber/Dave P.

More photos of the last few days progress. Yahoo indeed!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/803/41362623702_e03b3290fc_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2625fYw)IMG_2022 (https://flic.kr/p/2625fYw) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/881/41362623112_a9e695c9ea_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2625fNm)IMG_2029 (https://flic.kr/p/2625fNm) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/811/40691100314_9179f57188_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24ZJwt5)IMG_2027 (https://flic.kr/p/24ZJwt5) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Welshkiwi
12th April 2018, 09:06

Dave

Yes just caught up on the ally creation - what a project. That will look superb once completed!

Barber
12th April 2018, 13:47

Dave

I was at Tribute today, and the car is looking good Mark. The window recess blank works well when you see the real thing. Once your panels are done, my Z3gato will progress more quickly, so there will still be a development thread to follow.

Lucky@LeMans
12th April 2018, 21:59
Yes just caught up on the ally creation - what a project. That will look superb once completed!

I had been considering a Tribute build and was hoping to see a 275 Nart Spyder kit that was talked about a fair bit 18 months ago or so.
The 250 Testarossa body came along at just the right time so I snapped it up. I'm quite well into the build now and hope to be on the road in the summer.

Welshkiwi
13th April 2018, 08:13
I was at Tribute today, and the car is looking good Mark. The window recess blank works well when you see the real thing. Once your panels are done, my Z3gato will progress more quickly, so there will still be a development thread to follow.

Thanks Barber. Nice to hear! Really hard when all I can do is buy off concept/pictures, but the way Chris/Dan have been working our concepts I cannot complain one bit. Appreciate the good news! I am also looking forward to following your build.

Welshkiwi
13th April 2018, 08:15
I had been considering a Tribute build and was hoping to see a 275 Nart Spyder kit that was talked about a fair bit 18 months ago or so.
The 250 Testarossa body came along at just the right time so I snapped it up. I'm quite well into the build now and hope to be on the road in the summer.

You certainly can’t pass something like that up when it comes along! Great start to it, long may that continue. I am sure watching with eagerness will help my own project in the coming months. Common solutions to problems and all that etc, etc! Cheers.

Welshkiwi
14th April 2018, 05:31
More Photos of the moulding process:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/27572246548_107b68f053_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/J1sYib)buck mould finals (https://flic.kr/p/J1sYib) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/816/40549787815_c1da55813f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24MfgbF)bootlid moulding (https://flic.kr/p/24MfgbF) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Barber
14th April 2018, 07:59
That is a punk 275

Welshkiwi
14th April 2018, 09:10
That is a punk 275

I better factor in front nose rings and studs then! :rockon::rockon:

Paul L
15th April 2018, 06:26
WelshKiwi - Looks like your project is coming together nicely. :cool:

Whilst the buck constructions is impressive, I love the way the moulds are constructed.

As, personally, I really struggle with the whole thinking in reverse / mirror image side of things.

Welshkiwi
15th April 2018, 07:55
WelshKiwi - Looks like your project is coming together nicely. :cool:

Whilst the buck constructions is impressive, I love the way the moulds are constructed.

As, personally, I really struggle with the whole thinking in reverse / mirror image side of things.

Thanks Paul, you and me both in the appreciation of how all this comes together. Once the kit arrives I am buzzing to get going, it is also giving me some enthusiasm to do a bit of moulding myself. Have a few ideas to use some original eq that will need some custom mounts made etc, so a bit of glassing skills to be learned! Cheers.

Welshkiwi
17th April 2018, 07:53
Hi guys, more from Tribute/Old No7

Here's the fuel filler I am using, recess and location picked on the car for final panel production. Moving on nicely.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/818/41514062321_d309e6957b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26fsqpc)Fuel filler and recess (https://flic.kr/p/26fsqpc) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/913/40620961235_b46ee20774_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24Tx3yB)Filler final location (https://flic.kr/p/24Tx3yB) by Mark Blyth (https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240241@N03/), on Flickr

Welshkiwi
24th April 2018, 18:10
Hi guys,

Final panel production is moving along, not far away to completion now! Rear panel is fresh out of mould, being trimmed and roll cage construction in work. Front panel is still in mould getting final layup/construction of inner skin etc.

You can see final colour choice now for the gelcoat, purpose to be as close to final metallic colour for stonechips as well as dark to show any imperfections during final prep for painting. - Progressing.....

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/951/41674664471_878477a8b3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26uDxPM)Rear panel - final pre trim (https://flic.kr/p/26uDxPM)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/967/39868437380_dfacd0a33a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23K3aro)Bootlid final pre trim (https://flic.kr/p/23K3aro)

molleur
24th April 2018, 19:35
Looking very nice, should go together easily.

molleur
24th April 2018, 20:42
Got me wondering....
What if you had made a flat toughened glass

Welshkiwi
24th April 2018, 23:27
Got me wondering....
What if you had made a flat toughened glass

Hi there, not sure what exactly you mean, but if referring to the rear window, we have designed/Moulded around the mgbgt rear screen. Already procured and has been fittted during the buck stages. Looks really smart.

I suppose though with the large area available for builders quite a few OEM screens could be used with a bit of adjustment. As for the other comment, I certainly hope it goes together nice and easy! Cheers.

molleur
24th April 2018, 23:30
Hi there, not sure what exactly you mean, but if referring to the rear window, we have designed/Moulded around the mgbgt rear screen. Already procured and has been fittted during the buck stages. Looks really smart.

I suppose though with the large area available for builders quite a few OEM screens could be used with a bit of adjustment. As for the other comment, I certainly hope it goes together nice and easy! Cheers.

Sorry, hit the button prematurely.
I was thinking new glass cut to pattern for the 275 shape fitted to the Z3 window risers.

Welshkiwi
24th April 2018, 23:39
Ahh got you! Suppose it could be possible. There is a touch of curve thou in the standard z3 window profile, which then gets you into high cost if trying to replicate in glass. Z3m coupe window is always a possibility as it matches very similar to the shape we are trying to replicate. For me going to use standard windows and see how they fair with me. Once the car is back on the road and being used if I really struggle with what I have got I may need to change tack, but at the moment happy with what we have conceptualised and how it has shaped up. Individual look which is not a bad thing as it reflects away from an out and out replica. Cheers.

molleur
25th April 2018, 00:44
It looks okay now, try it as you said. May work out perfectly.
Body color insert would be my choice.

Welshkiwi
25th April 2018, 02:27
It looks okay now, try it as you said. May work out perfectly.
Body color insert would be my choice.

Agree Molleur. Body colour inset has been the plan and see how it all looks once “road stance” has been achieved. I can see how some will see this as a wrong window or shape difference to the original, what I want to do is tho is nod to the original whilst keeping some original donor bits.

Who knows where it will end up but certainly happy with where we are at this point before I get to put hands on it! Cheers.

molleur
25th April 2018, 11:15
Agree Molleur. Body colour inset has been the plan and see how it all looks once “road stance” has been achieved. I can see how some will see this as a wrong window or shape difference to the original, what I want to do is tho is nod to the original whilst keeping some original donor bits.

Who knows where it will end up but certainly happy with where we are at this point before I get to put hands on it! Cheers.

Exactly, and a grand nod it is already.

Welshkiwi
27th April 2018, 04:59
Thanks Molleur!

Progress keeps coming, panels are being trimmed and roll cage/roof support has been worked out. Fuel filler can fit where planned with a small touch of fettling on the donor so should be all good there. Recess being worked on, front panel in work with mountings etc for bumpers. Next week is planned completion now so should see final pictures and packages ready for unwrapping in a few months. I know you love piccies so here we go!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/970/41012903244_e74cdf321b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25uaRgs)Roll cage roof support (https://flic.kr/p/25uaRgs)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/830/41730355431_807c90698b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26zyYNK)Rear panel trimmed (https://flic.kr/p/26zyYNK)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/975/41012903954_36acf74c2f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25uaRtG)Rear panel tray (1) (https://flic.kr/p/25uaRtG)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/966/41730356031_4d6f7ac704_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26zyYZ6)Inside roof (https://flic.kr/p/26zyYZ6)

Barber
27th April 2018, 11:26
Excellent, it is really coming together, and you can make definite plans for putting your car together. For obvious reasons, I am interested in the roofline and roll cage bits.

molleur
27th April 2018, 11:29
Looking excellent, keep the pics coming!

Welshkiwi
27th April 2018, 19:51
Thanks guys, here's more from today.
Anyone that doubts that magic dust and Dorset sweat doesn't go together is delusional.
I am a very happy bunny! :eusa_dance:

Not sure whether Chris realises but the wheels fitted to this are very similar to the ones I have currently on the donor. Taken me by surprise and I quite like the look! We'll see......

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/868/41026146054_751b2f40b2_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25vkHTL)Final front panel trial (https://flic.kr/p/25vkHTL)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/823/41026124824_cc5779d13b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25vkBzJ)Final Filler (https://flic.kr/p/25vkBzJ)

molleur
27th April 2018, 20:04
Amazing! Loving it..

Paul L
29th April 2018, 15:40
It must be great seeing these photos from the other side of the world and knowing they will be heading your way soon.

molleur
30th April 2018, 02:25
It must be great seeing these photos from the other side of the world and knowing they will be heading your way soon.

Thanks Paul. Should ship in about a week.

Welshkiwi
30th April 2018, 06:05

Thanks Paul, a bit surreal really spending all this money and not being able to talk face to face or touch/feel, but I will say to anyone who is watching this and wants to “delve in” it has been a really easy process to work with Chris/Dan. From what I can tell from the pictures the output will be of a high standard.
I learnt heavily from you previous builders and threads from the Tribute clan and saw that worrying about the process from this far away was something I didn’t need to do. Tribute/Old No7 have helped me every step along the way to make it easy. One thing I do miss tho when finished is the camaraderie of the enthusiasts and builders via the shows/get togethers. The kit scene is reasonably small in NZ and monstered by the hot rod and muscle car scenes.
A few car shows tho I can get the car to so will enjoy those!
Looking forward to more photos this week prior to completion and packing!

Jaguartvr
30th April 2018, 18:15
When I picked my kit up, everything was present and correct. It was all hung from their donor so I could see how everything went together and it was all explained.
A refreshing change, I get sick of things that are incomplete or missing and it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

lancelot link
30th April 2018, 20:30
The kit scene is reasonably small in NZ and monstered by the hot rod and muscle car scenes.

You will find genuine Hot Rodders and not just scene-sters will appreciate your car for what it is and the style it represents ...you will be made welcome I am sure ...

Welshkiwi
1st May 2018, 03:48
You will find genuine Hot Rodders and not just scene-sters will appreciate your car for what it is and the style it represents ...you will be made welcome I am sure ...

Very true Lancelot. I enjoy the car shows whatever the theme but just miss the stoneleigh, true kitcar shows and definitely miss the auto jumble scene when you need parts etc. You are right tho I am sure the car will be well received, being one of a kind over these parts will turn a few heads! Cheers.

Welshkiwi
1st May 2018, 03:52
When I picked my kit up, everything was present and correct. It was all hung from their donor so I could see how everything went together and it was all explained.
A refreshing change, I get sick of things that are incomplete or missing and it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Bang on Jag, I am hearing you. People tend not to have as much pride in their work or service/respect for the other party at times these days. What I will say tho is Chris/Dan break the mould and have those old school values in how they treat people and have so much passion in what they do it is almost like they are building it for themselves. Going big is great, but when you lose the passion and churn out for the sake of it does it mean better? I tend to think not.... Cheers.

Welshkiwi
1st May 2018, 05:27
Hi guys - here's the mirrors I am fitting to the Italia 275.
(Labelled as Tex Automotive Classic - Torpedo/Bullet Racing mirrors)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/40918541985_5617da3f0b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25kQdXc)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/868/40918542765_c7f3c57d4a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25kQebD)

Jaguartvr
1st May 2018, 06:35
They look great but I would suggest bolting them to the car and trying them first. Most of these type of mirrors give an awful rear view. Try and get some convex mirrors rather than flat.
With the mirrors it is I'm afraid a case of style over practicability. I discarded 2 sets before ending up with my current set.
Another problem is the chrome, it can rust before your eyes, it just doesn't have the quality of old chrome, stainless is better but I have had 3 sets of headlight rims rust already and they were sold to me as stainless steel.

Welshkiwi
1st May 2018, 07:32
They look great but I would suggest bolting them to the car and trying them first. Most of these type of mirrors give an awful rear view. Try and get some convex mirrors rather than flat.
With the mirrors it is I'm afraid a case of style over practicability. I discarded 2 sets before ending up with my current set.
Another problem is the chrome, it can rust before your eyes, it just doesn't have the quality of old chrome, stainless is better but I have had 3 sets of headlight rims rust already and they were sold to me as stainless steel.

Yup understand. I have seen the feedback on other posts in regard to the rear views, but as you say visuals/style are 90% of why these are fitted! They are stainless so hopefully last the distance, we’ll see.....I paid enough for these so i’ll stick with the flat surface and see how I go. Cheers.

Lucky@LeMans
1st May 2018, 08:02
New chrome isn't as good that's for sure. There is stainless steel and stainless steel, the lower grades do rust. You need to go for 316 or high chrome content material but you wont always know at point of purchase. I work in the oil and gas supply chain, customers specify the highest grades stainless steel but we are sometimes let down by suppliers and get fobbed off with the wrong grades!
For car bits the best way to keep parts shiny for longer is to spray them with WD40 and just polish them up when you go to shows etc!

Barber
1st May 2018, 14:02
New chrome isn't as good that's for sure. There is stainless steel and stainless steel, the lower grades do rust. You need to go for 316 or high chrome content material but you wont always know at point of purchase. I work in the oil and gas supply chain, customers specify the highest grades stainless steel but we are sometimes let down by suppliers and get fobbed off with the wrong grades!
For car bits the best way to keep parts shiny for longer is to spray them with WD40 and just polish them up when you go to shows etc!

And the car will look like it has been driven long and hard to boot.

Welshkiwi
2nd May 2018, 03:45
Hi guys,

More from the production - (Just so you know the first pic has been photo-shopped lowered to see what it looked like). You may be able to see my smile from the UK! Some more work going on in the background on headlight buckets and rear parcel shelf as well as front indicator positions. More pics soon.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/981/40941023065_e276f29dfd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25nPrN2)Final Panels - Lowered (https://flic.kr/p/25nPrN2)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/870/26971392567_0c9becf003_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/H6nrkM)Final Light recesses (https://flic.kr/p/H6nrkM)

molleur
2nd May 2018, 12:10
Looking fantastic!

redratbike
2nd May 2018, 19:19
Is this a one off or will it be available as a kit???

DaveP
2nd May 2018, 21:13
It’s looking very nice indeed.

I even like the Beemer wheels on it when it’s dropped like that

Dave

Welshkiwi
3rd May 2018, 03:09
Is this a one off or will it be available as a kit???

Hi RRB, only Chris @ Tribute and Dan @ Old No 7 can tell you that. They have put a lot of time and effort into this one so it would be a shame if not available. As for me being in NZ whilst I would like to get mine on the road first, very unlikely I will bump into another one in the short term! Give Chris a ring and see what he/Dan says. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
3rd May 2018, 03:13
It’s looking very nice indeed.

I even like the Beemer wheels on it when it’s dropped like that

Dave

Thanks Dave, same here I like fact that my donor wheels will work in the short term if they fit under the arches. Long term I am still looking at either 72 spoke wires or Dunlop racing wheels for the vintage look, but great start tho. Anyone got a set of Dunlop wheels they want to get rid of? (I have seen the ones on eBay, trying to get a slightly better price point /nz dollar exchange as with shipping they will cost me a fair bit!) cheers.

Lucky@LeMans
3rd May 2018, 11:37
Someone on Ebay ( UK ) was doing Dunlop look wheels to fit the Z3. Don't know if they are still listed or not.

molleur
3rd May 2018, 13:30
Someone on Ebay ( UK ) was doing Dunlop look wheels to fit the Z3. Don't know if they are still listed or not.

here you go..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-racing-alloy-retro-style-wheels-and-spinners-5x120-BMW-Z3-not-wire-15/332542309702?hash=item4d6d10f546:g:WB0AAOSwxu5ZKrj A

DaveP
3rd May 2018, 19:33
They are being sold by Justin at Grassbank. He provides the non mgb rear glass for the 250 SWB. I have been told he has one of the best examples around although not seen it. Even in pictures.

Those Dunlop’s look very good. What has been done by other members is pretty damn good though.

Dave

molleur
3rd May 2018, 19:49
Dave, have a look here..

http://www.grassbank.co.uk/

Welshkiwi
4th May 2018, 03:25
here you go..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-racing-alloy-retro-style-wheels-and-spinners-5x120-BMW-Z3-not-wire-15/332542309702?hash=item4d6d10f546:g:WB0AAOSwxu5ZKrj A

Thanks Molleur/LLM.

These were the replicas I had seen on Ebay, but due to me being over here they are going to set me back at least $2000NZD without rubber wrapped around them, so a bit on the high side at this early part of the build. Struggling to get the "steel look wheels" out here also which may give me an option of self manufacturing a set with spinners on. At this moment just canvassing to see if any options out there lurking in the garden sheds but still a way off for final decision. But if something trucks along at the right price then that is always the time to buy it! Cheers.

peterux
4th May 2018, 05:59
I presume you've looked at these?
https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Alcar-steel-wheels-9690-7-0x16-ET47-5x120-for-Bmw-3er-Z3-rims/162969624792?epid=3017303561&hash=item25f1bf20d8:g:eeoAAOSwrIlau-KV

Welshkiwi
4th May 2018, 06:08
https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Alcar-steel-wheels-9690-7-0x16-ET47-5x120-for-Bmw-3er-Z3-rims/162969624792?epid=3017303561&hash=item25f1bf20d8:g:eeoAAOSwrIlau-KV

Hi Peterux, thanks for finding these! Yup had seen the same on eBay uk, but looks to be slightly better price on au site. Will hang fire on making a decision on homemade until the kit arrives and I have an idea of what the arch line/offset may need to be. Kinda assumed the Dunlop remodels already available would fit the bill. First choice would be wire wheels which may mean a budget blowout! Cheers.

Jaguartvr
4th May 2018, 06:15
Smash got his Dayton chrome knock-off wire wheels from Dayton Austrailia. Got to be cheaper shipping to you.

Chrome wire wheels really are the finishing touch, it's what your credit card is for.

Welshkiwi
4th May 2018, 06:26
Smash got his Dayton chrome knock-off wire wheels from Dayton Austrailia. Got to be cheaper shipping to you.

Chrome wire wheels really are the finishing touch, it's what your credit card is for.

Thanks Jag, I also have a custom wire wheel maker in Christchurch that I am talking to as well. Just been trawling the Dayton site amongst others and yes, the credit card is under starters orders!
My gut says it has to be wires to be happy so looks like I will need to make it so! I hang until I have the body on the car so at least I get all the measurements I need to “one shot it”.

Mister Towed
4th May 2018, 06:38

They look nice in the pictures but they're ET47 so are likely to look very tucked in for a 60's Ferrari.

Once you've taken some measurements to see how much width within the arches you have to play with, I'd be looking for wheels with an ET of around 18 to 20 to give a far more period 'dished' look.

These were BMW 5 Series 6.5x15 steels with an ET of 20 that I drilled and painted to look like Dunlop alloys (although I was going to put Campagnolo stickers on them just to cause a little confusion and throw people off the replica scent) -

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag120/smonebillion/P1040286_zpst1whs1gr.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/smonebillion/media/P1040286_zpst1whs1gr.jpg.html)

I paid £78 for the set of four, which included delivery from Germany. It took two days to give them a clean and drill all the holes and I spent roughly another £20 on three cans of Smoothrite to give them the aluminium look finish, so the total was about £25 per wheel.

They're now fitted to Casamolino's very nice 250 SWB Coupe and you can decide for yourself whether it's the look you're going for -

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/geoffking39/DSCF1718.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/geoffking39/media/DSCF1718.jpg.html)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/geoffking39/DSCF1720.jpg (http://s167.photobucket.com/user/geoffking39/media/DSCF1720.jpg.html)

Good luck with your project, I'm really looking forward to see it progress.

Welshkiwi
4th May 2018, 06:44
Thanks Mr T, those look a very good option.

Thanks for explaining the offsets and considerations as well, without a shell and the actual sizes it is pretty confronting trying to work out what may look good or would be a complete failure. The experiences of others though certainly helps. Cheers, really appreciated and as far as the build goes I really am looking to do this car as much justice as I can. I am an aircraft engineer by trade, so got some skills to work with but it will be slow and steady for this build! Thanks again....

Mister Towed
4th May 2018, 13:24
No problem WK. BTW, I'm a qualified aeronautical engineer too, but military trained and an armaments specialist.

We (armourers) had access to a comprehensive tool kit containing mostly precision hammers in all sizes from XL to 4XL. Having said that, we also used needle files and the like when servicing, repairing and modifying small-arms.

I spent my second career just pushing bits of paper and people around (police officer) and now work part time in Education, so picking up some hand-tools and creating something fulfils a primeval need in me.

Now what are you doing sitting here reading this? There must be something you could be doing on your car...

Welshkiwi
4th May 2018, 18:18
No problem WK. BTW, I'm a qualified aeronautical engineer too, but military trained and an armaments specialist.

We (armourers) had access to a comprehensive tool kit containing mostly precision hammers in all sizes from XL to 4XL. Having said that, we also used needle files and the like when servicing, repairing and modifying small-arms.

I spent my second career just pushing bits of paper and people around (police officer) and now work part time in Education, so picking up some hand-tools and creating something fulfils a primeval need in me.

Now what are you doing sitting here reading this? There must be something you could be doing on your car...

I hope your precision hammers were looked after the same way a surgeon looks after his scalpels! Very interesting career sir, I can see where the hobbyist comes out in you and the practical side shines through. If I need a “Bond-esque ” ejection seat for SWMBO and I can’t work it out myself i’ll Give you a nudge! It is 6am over here on a weekend. Sleep is not something that comes easy at the moment with my mind churning over my plans and until the donor comes off the road in about 6weeks the only real work I can do is minimal. Just waiting for that kit to ship and everything starts a bit more in earnest! Cheers

Welshkiwi
5th May 2018, 10:05
Hi guys, just spoke to Chris and progress going really well. Should be finished and packed now for middle of next week and on its way to me. Really looking forward to that feeling. The detail work is going on so soon we should have pictures of the finished piece.

Here's the work that has been going on with front bumpers and headlight surrounds/buckets/covers - You can really see the vintage face forming now.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/41860082542_bafa716c33_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26M2Sa5)Front bumpers and headlight buckets (https://flic.kr/p/26M2Sa5)

Barber
5th May 2018, 12:10
That looks really good.

redratbike
5th May 2018, 14:26
That looks really good.

Even better than really good I think!!!!

molleur
5th May 2018, 17:14
Nice!

Lucky@LeMans
5th May 2018, 22:18
Hi guys, just spoke to Chris and progress going really well. Should be finished and packed now for middle of next week and on its way to me. Really looking forward to that feeling. The detail work is going on so soon we should have pictures of the finished piece.

Here's the work that has been going on with front bumpers and headlight surrounds/buckets/covers - You can really see the vintage face forming now.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/41860082542_bafa716c33_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26M2Sa5)Front bumpers and headlight buckets (https://flic.kr/p/26M2Sa5)

Are those light covers still the TVR ones like Kidges or a more up to date / improved version on the same theme ? The proportions on the front end look a little better some how. Is the lower valance still a separate item as per Kidges car ?

Welshkiwi
6th May 2018, 00:40
Are those light covers still the TVR ones like Kidges or a more up to date / improved version on the same theme ? The proportions on the front end look a little better some how. Is the lower valance still a separate item as per Kidges car ?

Hi LLM, Yup still TVR Griffith headlight covers. Only change has been new buckets for the headlights to fit into, slight change in proportions etc. The front is one piece, as the bumpers are fibreglass not huge weight to lift. Only a 4” trim to each end of front bumper alloy assy to allow the clam to lift over it.

Other than that front end is from same original mould. Side indicator positions are being done on monday, I have spec’d them frenched in and in a revised position to how Kidge had them. Cheers.

Paul L
6th May 2018, 07:13
This does seem to get better and better with every photo. :cool:

Welshkiwi
6th May 2018, 07:34
This does seem to get better and better with every photo. :cool:

Cheers Paul, same sentiments from me. Heavily biased of course from my side but feel it is forming up really well.

Welshkiwi
8th May 2018, 05:40
Hi guys,

Hope all of you lucky blighters that got to go to Stoneleigh enjoyed it and got to spend all your hard earned cash on improvements or new projects!

As for my project we are close to finalised production. The guys are working on Side indicators, final brackets for the rear bumper and finishing bits. Will speak to Chris later but expecting all on plan to finish in the next two days. Here's whats going on:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/969/40160445760_1553caee05_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24bQMmC)rear bumper splash moulds and position (https://flic.kr/p/24bQMmC)

Rear bumper in position - Splash moulds being taken for bracket profiles. (A very sexy rear end!)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/979/41923137992_98b0d714b9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26SB3m1)side indicator position 1 (https://flic.kr/p/26SB3m1)

Side indicator position for frenching in - Can't see indicators as they are with me!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/967/40160445040_043dfa7df0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24bQM9d)side indicator position (https://flic.kr/p/24bQM9d)

molleur
8th May 2018, 16:02
Very well done!

Welshkiwi
10th May 2018, 04:15
Well guys, we got there, the kit is finished and being packed up/shipped today.
I can only say that I am incredibly happy at this point with what the photos show. I think it is stunning and testament to the blood, sweat and likely tears/beers that have had to go into this from Chris and Dan. I now have transported back 40 years to my early childhood and cannot wait to unwrap what Santa is going to bring me. 1st stage job very well done - Now the scary bit - I get my hands on it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/905/28136870088_66e291b521_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JSmPcN)Dressed front pre-delivery (https://flic.kr/p/JSmPcN)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/964/40202347820_0057373a47_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24fxxnW)Dressed rear - Pre delivery (https://flic.kr/p/24fxxnW)

Have also started a detail conversation with the LVV certification guy over here, a few trip ups that I hadn't captured that may revolve around the roof support and airbag removal, but shouldn't be anything that can't be sorted.
(Motorsport type regs as well as new seatbelts required, i'll keep you updated) More photos soon.

Jaguartvr
10th May 2018, 05:41
That looks fantastic, it should also make your mind up about fitting wire wheels, they really are the finishing touch.
Shame it didn't make it to Stoneleigh, I'm sure it would have been a success and generated some orders.

Welshkiwi
10th May 2018, 06:59
That looks fantastic, it should also make your mind up about fitting wire wheels, they really are the finishing touch.
Shame it didn't make it to Stoneleigh, I'm sure it would have been a success and generated some orders.

Cheers Jag, yes the wires are really looking the part on this, that Chris just keeps giving me surprises! Thanks for the comments, I am sure Chris and Dan must be very happy with what they have achieved. Let's hope others get a chance if the guys are happy to supply kits from this and Kidges project. As you told me a while back, deposits mean a lot! :wof:

lancelot link
10th May 2018, 08:14
That does look rather pretty ....well done Chris and Dan ...

Car photographer
11th May 2018, 14:00
very nice!!

Barber
11th May 2018, 14:21
After Kidges build, wasn't there only talk of a roadster version? Maybe Kidge doesn't want more of his 275 coupes running around? One on another continent isn't going to offend anyone's sensibilities though.

With the upcoming Z3gato, I was happy just to get the chance of a car that I wanted and could afford. I was well content for Chris to mitigate some of the development cost in return for the opportunity to mould for more sales. It was never going to happen in my lifetime otherwise.

As Jagtvr has said, and WelshKiwi re-iterated, cash on the table helps things along nicely. Tribute are a small outfit, and project delays are always going to happen as they have to keep the cash flowing in, but dealing with Chris and Dan is always a pleasure, and I know I am going to get excellent value for money, same as WelshKiwi.

Lucky@LeMans
11th May 2018, 15:24
There was talk of a convertible but for some reason Chris and Dan didn't take it on despite enquires from people with deposits. I know Nubodi wanted to order 3 units together but that still wasn't enough to get the ball rolling.

Barber
11th May 2018, 15:31
I guess things must have changed then. Hopefully the 275 will pick up again. It is a nice looking car.

Welshkiwi
11th May 2018, 17:37
Hi all, thanks for the great comments.
Watch this space on the 275 as I am sure once the guys have taken a breath on this one some movement will occur. The dealings I have had with Chris/Dan I think show clearly their passion to achieve bits with whatever they develop/produce but there are clear time and not enough hrs in the day pressures that they face. They have been incredibly busy over a period of time that when it includes production, manufacture, customer contact, marketing, invoice and financials, VAT , materials supply etc, I think it has been challenging for them to develop further some of the great work that has been going on in the background.
Dan still needs to really push into the “Old No 7” identity as well. As we get older time is the most important commodity we lose, my reflection would be the guys have suffered with this over the last 12-18 months or so I have been following them and in contact.
I think the 275 will likely be an option going forward but only serious requests/money will of course make that a reality. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
11th May 2018, 18:22
Hi guys, hot off the press from the "tinternet" delivery system. - Likely to be the last pictures for a while. Crate left as planned so is now expected on a vessel on Monday and somewhere around 45 days later will arrive at Auckland port. So probably best part of 8-9 weeks before I get my fingers on it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/958/41998724602_0d6d0de767_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrBq)front-pre delivery (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrBq)

One bit i like about this shot (other than the curves and lines) is that once polished up it looks like the alloy crash bar that remains behind the clam will compliment the view through the grille well. Won't be a "polluted view" with tubes/hoses and misc stuff on show.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/958/41998725752_42a8b23605_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrXf)rear - pre delivery (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrXf)

Welshkiwi
11th May 2018, 21:00
Hi all, update straight from Chris.
The 275 hardtop is available and will be exclusive through Old No7 production. The convertible/California version is planned and will be available when time allows the development of the backend.
Start saving for your deposits! Suggest you send an e-mail with interest as required. Thought you might appreciate the good news! Cheers.

Jaguartvr
12th May 2018, 06:59
It does look stunning, I do think it needs lowering slightly but this is obviously just on the mule.
Judging by the pallets in the background, Chris & Dan are expecting an overseas sales boom!

Paul L
12th May 2018, 17:53
WelshKiwi - Hope all goes well with your shipping.

Are you going to paint the bumpers body colour, or do something else?

Jaguartvr
12th May 2018, 18:16
It has to be chrome, paint, wrap or a set of Vietnamese stainless steel bumpers.
You can't spend all that time and money on it and ruin it by being a tightwad!

Welshkiwi
12th May 2018, 20:06
WelshKiwi - Hope all goes well with your shipping.

Are you going to paint the bumpers body colour, or do something else?

Hi Paul, Terry from Evolution (who has shipped many kits before) set it all up so I am sure it is in good hands!

Bumpers are planned to be chrome wrapped. That way if I pick up any damage etc I can get them tidied up easily. Probably be one of the first things I do when the kit arrives so I can work out how it looks. Realise it will mean more maintenance every few years etc where they may need redoing, but I am not too convinced that chrome paint on plastic/gel coat will last too long anyway. So i’ll Start with wrapping.
Everything is planned for the vintage look, so chrome door handles/stainless mirrors/chrome or stainless trim where possible. Cheers!

Barber
13th May 2018, 07:59
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/958/41998724602_0d6d0de767_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrBq)front-pre delivery (https://flic.kr/p/26ZhrBq)

This view of the headlights reminded me of a school ditty.

It could be the way the the sun lies, or maybe my eyesight's defective?
Is the east t*t the least bit the best of the west t*t?
Or is it a trick of perspective?

DaveP
13th May 2018, 10:16
That is a bl@@dy atractive motor.

Well done to all. Looking forward to that build a lot.

Watch out for speed bumps though :)

Dave

Barber
25th May 2018, 18:17
6 or 7 to go. Have you got a tracking device?

Jaguartvr
25th May 2018, 20:14
Hey, WelshKiwi, did Chris not give you the live shipping link?
You can track your container live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpX1xYbyNog&t=81s

Would I lie to you?

Welshkiwi
25th May 2018, 20:35
6 or 7 to go. Have you got a tracking device?

Hi Barber, no details yet unfortunately. It didn’t make the ship last week so got on one Tuesday this week. Once I know the vessel then I should know a bit more but estimate 7weeks from this point. Not a major as still trying to get the build space ready, the NZ weather is crapola and I have been an ill old dog for the last week! Sun is out tho this morning so building will continue! Cheers.

Hey, WelshKiwi, did Chris not give you the live shipping link?
You can track your container live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpX1xYbyNog&t=81s

Would I lie to you?

Most definitely you would Jag, but I never would take it personally! Great vid, those bloody sailors have it hard at times don’t they? It is very close to home actually, one of those ships is the Rena, which due to Greek captain and his shortcut, grounded itself on the Astrolabe reef out from Tauranga, NZ. It is still there as a partial artificial reef. As a boatie myself who enjoys a small belt of rum every once in a while (honest!) I am now hoping the vessel my shipment is on has no Greek Captains and no rum onboard! I will keep sweating! 😅

casamolino
2nd June 2018, 18:18
Evening Mark is your kit insured?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-44344024/australia-ship-loses-83-containers-off-new-south-wales

Geoff .

Jaguartvr
2nd June 2018, 18:23
Don't worry, it will float

Welshkiwi
2nd June 2018, 19:45
Evening Mark is your kit insured?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-44344024/australia-ship-loses-83-containers-off-new-south-wales

Geoff .

Thanks Geoff, Not immediately helping the blood pressure there, I have never been so interested in maritime traffic, not even when I shipped the house contents out to NZ! Yes the shipping is insured!

Don't worry, it will float

As long as it floats in the right direction Jag! I am not sure the mgbgt rear door will be in once piece after a smell of salt air tho!

Welshkiwi
1st July 2018, 08:18
Hi guys, been a while since an update so thought better let you know what’s happening.
Kit turns up in NZ supposedly next wed. Be about a week to clear customs and freight to Auckland so hopefully delivered around 11th July. I am testing the donor car this week so it has reg and testing thru till Jan next year when the car will be back on the road. Then donor is starting being stripped next weekend.
First jobs are checking all the exposed bits/discs and pads as req’d and extending/logging all the wiring/harnesses.
I am going to talk to og rims about wheels, but they don’t do 72 spoke 15” on their website, only 13” - so we’ll see.
Likely the fuel tank is coming out to do the filler extension, so sub frame etc has to come out for that work.
All going well, work starts next week! Cheers. :amen:

nzidol
4th July 2018, 04:00
Good luck.... it is all in the detail....

By the way did you talk to these guys http://www.lucentt.co.nz/painting-on-plastic for chroming your bumpers?

Just scored this seal at para rubber for the boot lid https://pararubber.co.nz/automotive/811-clip-on-boot-seal.html

Did you also find these wheels http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_26_86&products_id=141

Welshkiwi
4th July 2018, 04:42
Good luck.... it is all in the detail....

By the way did you talk to these guys http://www.lucentt.co.nz/painting-on-plastic for chroming your bumpers?

Just scored this seal at para rubber for the boot lid https://pararubber.co.nz/automotive/811-clip-on-boot-seal.html

Did you also find these wheels http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_26_86&products_id=141

Hey fella, awesome work on the detective work.

No haven’t talked to the plastic guys, how I didn’t find these considering I am 5 mins away but hey, thanks for finding them for me! Will see what they can do and update in case you are interested at all.

Pararubber seal looks good, again I need to explore those guys as to what they have once the panels get here and I know what exactly I need, but a great start thanks.

Yes found the Aussie wheels guys, I may drop them a line once I have heard back from ogrims in the us. Got a few questions in with them. The donor got wof’d today and is now officially off the road. Teardown starts in the next few days. If you had any trip ups or things to be careful of always happy to receive sage advice! Cheers hopefully full of luck for the challenges ahead.

nzidol
5th July 2018, 06:10
You'll need to splash out on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Pcs-Door-Sill-Covering-Trim-Moulding-Clips-For-BMW-E30-E34-E38-Z4-E81-E46/32850980893.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dACe Utb
They will break when you pull the sill covers off:frusty:

These guys have lots of helpfull insights https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-Z3/76-BODY-Rear_Bumper_Replacement/76-BODY-Rear_Bumper_Replacement.htm

Probably best to start with the wheel arch liners they are though to get out but there are a few bolts behind them for the side panels and sills. For the hood you'll need a second person but everything else you can do by yourself. Although I did not take the cabrio roof off....

PM me your email and I will send you my disassembly doc, only covers 10-15% at the moment but will be good if someone checks it

Welshkiwi
6th July 2018, 04:04
You'll need to splash out on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Pcs-Door-Sill-Covering-Trim-Moulding-Clips-For-BMW-E30-E34-E38-Z4-E81-E46/32850980893.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dACe Utb
They will break when you pull the sill covers off:frusty:

These guys have lots of helpfull insights https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-Z3/76-BODY-Rear_Bumper_Replacement/76-BODY-Rear_Bumper_Replacement.htm

Probably best to start with the wheel arch liners they are though to get out but there are a few bolts behind them for the side panels and sills. For the hood you'll need a second person but everything else you can do by yourself. Although I did not take the cabrio roof off....

PM me your email and I will send you my disassembly doc, only covers 10-15% at the moment but will be good if someone checks it

Awesome fella, PM sent. Cheers really appreciated. Will log all those little bits like clips etc, really handy to know. Catch you soon.

Welshkiwi
8th July 2018, 06:21
Well guys I have put aside the disappointment that the kit panels are delayed during shipping and now not in the country yet and not expected until next Friday. So at least a week and a half until those get in my grubby hands.

So I started today anyway, managed about three hours on the car in amongst still trying to finish the build area. Reasonably easy start, assisted ably by NZ Idol's disassembly guide and the good condition of the car itself. Everything that has come off so far in good nick and the uncovered areas look pretty good. Black lines on the alloy bumper are the approx cut lines for the one piece clam to clear.

Here's the progress.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1803/28400711927_4a6b2dc87b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KgF5c2)Front strip 2 (https://flic.kr/p/KgF5c2)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/915/42365918815_e713cb4bca_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27xJpE8)Front strip 3 (https://flic.kr/p/27xJpE8)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1804/29400265938_e41fb7feea_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LN13LS)Front strip (https://flic.kr/p/LN13LS)

Barber
8th July 2018, 06:24
It is really happening chap.

Welshkiwi
9th July 2018, 08:41
It is really happening chap.

Yes it is fella!

So how can people get things so wrong? Today I was made aware that the customs clearance and associated bill has been granted so happy days. Also during the process the ship is now arriving in NZ tomorrow so the "update" I had last Friday couldn't have been more wrong! Anyhoo, good news is I should get the kit early next week now.

Progress tonight after work has been good, all rear end stripped, including rear quarter panels. Condition is good underneath so minimal cleaning and protection will be required. Just the sills and the Fwd lower panels left and then the task of trying to work out how the roof comes out! Keep ya posted.:der:

Welshkiwi
10th July 2018, 08:32
Hey guys, progress has been coming thick and fast, virtually stripped all the way now, only a few minor bits to tidy and remove.

Will get the cert guy around now to get stuck in to see how we are going to extend the fuel filler.

Really satisfying getting this far, however it doesn't matter how comfortable you are turning something roadworthy into this state does have it moments!

Progress after about 7 hrs stripping:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1766/43266801292_f56ffeb6b3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28VkECC)Full strip (https://flic.kr/p/28VkECC)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1766/43266801182_4b247c3849_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEAJ)Interior (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEAJ)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/836/43266801112_aebdbf922c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEzw)Rear quarter (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEzw)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/839/43266801332_077c1e6742_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEDj)Rear roof removed (https://flic.kr/p/28VkEDj)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1766/43316657511_99886fd8aa_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28ZKc9B)Rear valance strip (https://flic.kr/p/28ZKc9B)

Jaguartvr
10th July 2018, 09:11
I would be tempted to fit the fuel filler and only show the examiner after the body has been fitted!
The pipe is only pushed down into the tank and glued in place with sealant, not the ideal solution but I can't think of an alternative.
If someone had a spare tank sitting on a table you might be able to see if some kind of adaptor could be machined up. Could then be sold to builders.

Welshkiwi
10th July 2018, 09:20
I would be tempted to fit the fuel filler and only show the examiner after the body has been fitted!
The pipe is only pushed down into the tank and glued in place with sealant, not the ideal solution but I can't think of an alternative.
If someone had a spare tank sitting on a table you might be able to see if some kind of adaptor could be machined up. Could then be sold to builders.

Fair thoughts jag, but over here fuel pipe extensions are part of the cert process so has been declared from the start. Reason we will discuss is whether we can work an adaptor that has an inner tube/outer sheath assy that can be bonded and clamped in place and without taking the tank out. 1st look at it seems to be tight so I may be taking the tank out anyway to do it. The only issue for me is disturbing all that may end up with reliability or failures down the road. We’ll see what happens. I have thought to see if I can find a tank to play with but won’t be cheap.

Welshkiwi
14th July 2018, 05:43
Hi guys, been slowly plodding along for the end of the week, spent time cleaning as I go as well as tidying the car for some of the "dis-established" systems. Have removed:
- Power roof and system including pump/reservoir and actuator
- Fwd headlight wash system
- Fwd screen upper rubber
Have been working on the rear light harnesses, for some reason can't get the reversing light to fire so that is my scratchy beard issue for tomorrow.
I am really lucky with the donor I bought, no signs of corrosion/rust or issues under any of the unearthed areas, it has been looked after during the 19 years it has been on the road. Once the panels arrive this week it will be full steam ahead when I can get to it, going to focus on the front clam/electrics etc to give me a good positive shot in the arm start before I get stuck into the heavier shifting of the rear and the bonding work/fuel filler and fuel tank work. I am not looking forward to the sub frame coming out if that is what it needs. :shock: Inner door skins coming off tomorrow so I can start scratching the grey matter on how I am going to marry the Mini door handles into the door mech. I also need to change the drivers seatbelt to meet the regs for removing an airbag, so a new webgrabbing belt will be fitted. I am happy with the condition and look of the interior rear (i.e. storage box and upholstery around the roll bar area) so am keeping that until I later on play with the interior in a few years.

Here's some photos.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1763/28527002567_0077c7fc9f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KsQkZR)Full strip 4 (https://flic.kr/p/KsQkZR)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1769/29525722828_b2bc4ca993_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LZ63JG)Full strip 3 (https://flic.kr/p/LZ63JG)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1783/42492172315_7f5b9f97ed_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27JTuqB)Full strip 2 (https://flic.kr/p/27JTuqB)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/922/42492171995_215cac2172_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27JTuk6)Full strip 5 (https://flic.kr/p/27JTuk6)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1783/28527234587_d080a0f165_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KsRwYc)Full strip 4 (https://flic.kr/p/KsRwYc)

Paul L
14th July 2018, 06:47
Looking good so far. :cool:

I can't imagine what the wait is like, knowing how far your kit has travelled.

Welshkiwi
15th July 2018, 02:13
Looking good so far. :cool:

I can't imagine what the wait is like, knowing how far your kit has travelled.

Thanks Paul, yeh the wait is hard, but it has given me a bit of time to step back and think. Even though I still have a lot to work through and stuff to buy when I can work it all out in my hands, it has allowed me some calm before the storm. Just got to hope the stuff turns up in good nick now as I have well and truly stuffed up a nice z3! Cheers.

Welshkiwi
16th July 2018, 05:23
Hi guys, this is as much for me as it is for you so I have a record of it on my thread, but if you need a bit of assistance with the wiring in the Z3 harness at the rear of the car "pre the rear light assy plugs" then here we go.

Lights L/H rear

Brown - Negative
Blue/Green - L/H Indicator
Blue/Yellow (2 wires) - L/H reverse (and feed for R/H Reverse light)
Yellow/White - L/H Fog light
Grey/Violet - L/H Tail light
Blue/Red - L/H Brake Light

Lights R/H Rear

Brown - Negative
Blue/Yellow - R/H reverse light
Blue Red - (2 Wires/Diff Gauges) - R/H Brake Light (and feed for L/H Brake light)
Yellow/White - R/H Fog light
Grey/Yellow - R/H Tail light
Blue/Brown - R/H Indicator

Hope this helps if needed. Cheers :tea:

Jaguartvr
16th July 2018, 07:50
Well done, now go and do the front and don't forget the spot lights!

I carefully wrote it all down on a notepad but left it out and it got rained on, EricHolmes thread has some nice pictures of his wiring notes that I used so you can cross reference to check.
This information you be great to put together in a Tribute build pack.
Could also include
Fuel filler mod.
Door skin fitting.
Boot & door handles.
Door packers.

Welshkiwi
17th July 2018, 08:17
Hi guys, I know the Z3 wiring is a bit easier to work through on the front, but here it is if required. (One of these below is side different to the Haynes manual for wiring colour, either they mixed it up when printed or my car was stuffed up with the wrong wire installed in the wrong side of the harness. Have checked more than twice and I know I am not colour blind so who knows!) NEG = Brown for standard -ve wiring.

L/H Front
Front Indicator - Blue Feed and NEG
Headlight Dip - Yellow/Green and NEG
Main Beam - White/Green and NEG
Sidelight/Pilot - Grey/Violet and NEG
Fog Light - Yellow/Brown and NEG
Side indicator - Blue/Green and NEG

R/H Front
Front Indicator - Blue Feed and NEG
Headlight Dip - Yellow/Blue and NEG
Main Beam - White/Blue and NEG
Sidelight/Pilot - Grey/Yellow and NEG
Fog Light - Yellow/Brown and NEG
Side indicator - Blue/Brn and NEG

R/H and L/H headlight adjusters are both Black/Brown/Yellow for 1/2/3 Posn.

Update on the kit, it arrived today. A few things straight away to sort with the guys back in Blighty, but great to have it in my hands under some sort of control! Keep you updated. Cheers.

Barber
17th July 2018, 10:58
:thumb:

Jaguartvr
19th July 2018, 15:57
I notice you have removed the rear ariel. I left my base in position and used a sharks fin style booster. Cut away most of the shark's fin leaving the base and amplifier. It has a single wire with a loop, this is simply screwed onto the base using the hole that the ariel screws into. Very surprised that I get excellent radio reception and all totally hidden.

How are you getting on? I suspect as you have had it a few days that it must almost be ready for paint:bolt:

Lucky@LeMans
19th July 2018, 20:28
Looking forward to your build and regular updates. I'd still be in the market for a convertible version if it should become available. Good luck with your build.

Welshkiwi
20th July 2018, 08:59
I notice you have removed the rear ariel. I left my base in position and used a sharks fin style booster. Cut away most of the shark's fin leaving the base and amplifier. It has a single wire with a loop, this is simply screwed onto the base using the hole that the ariel screws into. Very surprised that I get excellent radio reception and all totally hidden.

How are you getting on? I suspect as you have had it a few days that it must almost be ready for paint:bolt:

Hi Jag, great idea on the aerial, yes I removed it temporarily but it is still there wired in and was going to try to work an angle on it. Might have to try plagiarising your method as it sounds a good one! Kit has hit some reasonable snags that I am working thru hopefully in the next week or so with Chris and Dan, have to construct a plan. The kit unfortunately was sent missing items which need to be sorted and at present the roll cage/roof support doesn’t fit. I have a line of sight that may work, but failing that it may need remanufacture. Gutted it has started like this but I am sure won’t be the last of the challenges along the way. Keep you all updated when able to and making forward progress! Cheers.

Looking forward to your build and regular updates. I'd still be in the market for a convertible version if it should become available. Good luck with your build.

Thanks LLM. As you will read above not the best start but once progressing I will make sure updates are flowing when they can. The “glossy feeling” has diminished a bit this week after the wait but as soon as I can get fitting items that will rush back! Cheers.

Paul L
21st July 2018, 08:28
WelshKiwi – Sorry to hear you’ve had problems ‘out of the box’. :icon_sad:

I am planning to meet up with Kidge and his 275 next week for the first time.

Which lead me back to my first post on this thread back in Sep.17…

… I know the development of Kidge’s car took a lot of time and effort, but it looks well worth it to me…

So I really hope I will be able to post similar comments about your car at the end of your build.

Welshkiwi
21st July 2018, 19:06
WelshKiwi – Sorry to hear you’ve had problems ‘out of the box’. :icon_sad:

I am planning to meet up with Kidge and his 275 next week for the first time.

Which lead me back to my first post on this thread back in Sep.17…

So I really hope I will be able to post similar comments about your car at the end of your build.

Hey thanks Paul. You always expect some challenges, but after all the planning and “replanning” you hope it doesn’t come at the first build hurdle! Spent about 4hrs yesterday meticulously removing micron after micron of metal. Not sorted yet but optimistic I may have a solution, it is going to take a while though at best in a home garage with no chance of the heavy engineering workshop it needs. Hoping the optimism continues!
I have been looking at Kidges car and liking it a lot. Certainly something to look forward to. Cheers!

Lucky@LeMans
22nd July 2018, 00:13
Hey thanks Paul. You always expect some challenges, but after all the planning and “replanning” you hope it doesn’t come at the first build hurdle! Spent about 4hrs yesterday meticulously removing micron after micron of metal. Not sorted yet but optimistic I may have a solution, it is going to take a while though at best in a home garage with no chance of the heavy engineering workshop it needs. Hoping the optimism continues!
I have been looking at Kidges car and liking it a lot. Certainly something to look forward to. Cheers!

In my experience with welded fabrications and fibreglass moulded parts often require some "heavy fitting" at the early stages. It will need more than just trimming a few microns here and there by the sound of it, don't be afraid to get stuck in if needed !

Welshkiwi
22nd July 2018, 07:30
In my experience with welded fabrications and fibreglass moulded parts often require some "heavy fitting" at the early stages. It will need more than just trimming a few microns here and there by the sound of it, don't be afraid to get stuck in if needed !

Thanks LLM, yeh you are right a bit of hard elbow grease will be required at stages. Just taking my time with the roof support as this is part of the certification process over here so it is tread very lightly. It is coming together slowly, I have been at it for another 5hrs today and it is starting to work. I do have angle of insertion issues with the roll bar, so once I can get them to go full insertion into the chassis tubes separately then I can try and play with the angles between them. At present they won’t insert into the chassis together.
Appreciate the good thoughts tho! Cheers.:tongue1:

Jaguartvr
22nd July 2018, 08:53
I am presuming you are talking about where the roll cage drops into the vertical tubes in the car.
If they are slightly too close you can get a hydraulic body ram kit cheaply on eBay, amazing what they will move.
If it needs bringing in you could try using some heavy duty ratchet straps, again it is surprising how much pressure they can exert.

Welshkiwi
22nd July 2018, 09:02
I am presuming you are talking about where the roll cage drops into the vertical tubes in the car.
If they are slightly too close you can get a hydraulic body ram kit cheaply on eBay, amazing what they will move.
If it needs bringing in you could try using some heavy duty ratchet straps, again it is surprising how much pressure they can exert.

Yup you got it Jag. At present they are too far out at the insertion point. I have had them to line up with ratchet straps but they are not in alignment enough to insert more than about 30mm without jamming up. As you know they have to insert approx 270mm! Once I have them freely moving in and out seperately it at least gives me the starting point to work on alignment. At present they won’t insert fully on their own. I may find that it is just “spring” and aligning the lower end squares everything up. It may tho be that the stresses are coming from the top end so a bit more persuasion with heat may be required. Just have to wait and see but the good bit is I can strap the tubes so they start. Cheers.

Jaguartvr
22nd July 2018, 10:24
I would suggest a couple of heavy ratchet straps and as they are under tension a few good hard taps with a sledge hammer.

Lucky@LeMans
22nd July 2018, 13:53
I would suggest a couple of heavy ratchet straps and as they are under tension a few good hard taps with a sledge hammer.

That is the "heavy fitting" I was talking about ! Taking a few microns off here and there isn't the right approach. If you are sliding tubes together use some grease or anti sieze too.

Egdik
23rd July 2018, 01:08
Hi Kiwi

We had the same problem. When Chris was here trying to fit it, he blamed the car . . . but since you have the same trouble, it looks more like the jig / mule he is using.

I used a 40 grit sanding disc 115mm several / a lot of times and a couple of ratchet straps around the Z3 tubes.

After a while, at about two thirds to three quarters down, I decided the fit was ok. Got it powder coated [just to the top of the Z3 tubes]. The bottom of these tubes is open, so I only used a smear of grease and then seated the frame right down . . . never going to come out again. Took a bit of life out of my leather hammer, rubber shot hammer and a wooden mallet, even holding a bit of wood on the top tube, but the frame is ok now !

Rear mount holes needed a little adjustment . . .

All the best

Welshkiwi
23rd July 2018, 06:13
That is the "heavy fitting" I was talking about ! Taking a few microns off here and there isn't the right approach. If you are sliding tubes together use some grease or anti sieze too.

Hi LLM, thanks for the inputs, but I am happy the right approach is being worked. An interference fit is an interference fit and if I employ the Geoff capes method then all that will happen is I will have a bare metal, non-painted roll cage jammed in the car. With how tight it is I will be able to pick the backend of the car up without pulling it out! I am not ready yet for that point or the heat differential method of fitting (I.e cooling/heating the seperate parts) To coin a phrase that we use a lot when fitting interference parts, “I could paint black hairs around it and it still won’t go in!” Ooh err! Read the next post you will see I have made some progress tonight. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
23rd July 2018, 06:22
Hi Kiwi

We had the same problem. When Chris was here trying to fit it, he blamed the car . . . but since you have the same trouble, it looks more like the jig / mule he is using.

I used a 40 grit sanding disc 115mm several / a lot of times and a couple of ratchet straps around the Z3 tubes.

After a while, at about two thirds to three quarters down, I decided the fit was ok. Got it powder coated [just to the top of the Z3 tubes]. The bottom of these tubes is open, so I only used a smear of grease and then seated the frame right down . . . never going to come out again. Took a bit of life out of my leather hammer, rubber shot hammer and a wooden mallet, even holding a bit of wood on the top tube, but the frame is ok now !

Rear mount holes needed a little adjustment . . .

All the best

Hi Kidge, thanks so much for the info. That is pretty much what I am doing and also clearing/honing the chassis tubes as well. The good news is after 12 hrs of going at it I can get the tubes fully inserted separately, but it is still tight. So I will carry on to give me a bit more clearance around both tubes which should help then making the alignment problem a bit easier. They are dropping at a slight angle so a bit of spot heating on the tubes may be required to straighten them up together. Just have to patiently truck on an work through it.
I am going to spray it once completed, I am staying away from powder coating now.
To give you an idea of spring in the tubes, I can ratchet them from 1006mm static to about 990mm fully loaded so plenty of wiggle room. 12hrs in on this so far!
Pity tho that you had issues and now this one as well. Could be right with the mule or could be the method of construction/heat in areas when placed in car is pulling the cold form in the wrong direction. Cheers, loving your car by the way!

Barber
23rd July 2018, 14:35
Well, as Chris is going to build The Z3gato he will have to deal with this issue if it is the mule that is out.

Mitchelkitman
23rd July 2018, 18:56
I've not seen the item (so forgive me if this is a daft idea) but could it just be cut in the middle (or to one side), trimmed and slotted into place and re-welded?
ETA, if that's it in #94, then I'd just slice and re-weld!

Welshkiwi
24th July 2018, 08:45
I've not seen the item (so forgive me if this is a daft idea) but could it just be cut in the middle (or to one side), trimmed and slotted into place and re-welded?
ETA, if that's it in #94, then I'd just slice and re-weld!

Hi Mitchelkitman, fair thoughts and I have already asked that question with the cert guy who is dealing with it over here. Truth is he doesn’t know if that is doable without further advice and it may render the main hoop needing being remade. Trying the softly approach first, I have managed to get the tubes fully inserted tonight, when fitted together about 50mm insertion, so i am clearing a bit more gap and then working on the alignment. Hope it doesn’t get to the point of cut/weld or remanufacture. Cheers!

Mitchelkitman
24th July 2018, 09:38
Hi Mitchelkitman, fair thoughts and I have already asked that question with the cert guy who is dealing with it over here. Truth is he doesn’t know if that is doable without further advice and it may render the main hoop needing being remade. Trying the softly approach first, I have managed to get the tubes fully inserted tonight, when fitted together about 50mm insertion, so i am clearing a bit more gap and then working on the alignment. Hope it doesn’t get to the point of cut/weld or remanufacture. Cheers!

Ah.... regulations. It shouldn't (surely?) make any difference because it isn't part of the original structure - but when does logic come in to regulations? Done well, and repainted, nobody need know (unless they x-rayed it), but I understand your concern.

nzidol
25th July 2018, 03:22
Ah.... regulations. It shouldn't (surely?) make any difference because it isn't part of the original structure - but when does logic come in to regulations? Done well, and repainted, nobody need know (unless they x-rayed it), but I understand your concern.

Here in NZ there is the "Targa (https://targa.nz)" road race with max speed 200km/h, which requires cars to be both road legal and comply to motorsport regulations. The wording of the Low Volume Vehicle regulations makes this type of roof support (not specifically described) very close to a roll cage (which are described in detail) so certifiers get a bit nervous :twitch:.

nzidol
25th July 2018, 03:27
... I also need to change the drivers seatbelt to meet the regs for removing an airbag, so a new webgrabbing belt will be fitted.

Wouldn't the tensioners on the seatbelt still work when you remove the airbag?

Welshkiwi
25th July 2018, 03:56
Wouldn't the tensioners on the seatbelt still work when you remove the airbag?

Hi Ido. How it has been explained to me by the cert guy.
Any steering wheel airbag removal requires a new seatbelt to be fitted regardless of condition. Apparently the regs. The pre tensioner will still be under the seat but disconnected from the system and not attached the the new seatbelt clasp/latch.
As I am leaving the passenger airbag in it looks likely that side escapes the rules for a replacement seatbelt and will work as normal for the srs system.
Ballast resistor required for airbag removed.
Hope this helps fella, cheers.

Welshkiwi
28th July 2018, 05:30
Hi guys, not good news on my front so remain patient for updates.
Apart from a car tinkerer I am also a goalkeeper coach for kids football. Unfortunately blew my left knee MC ligament yesterday at coaching and laid up in pain with the legs horizontal.
No options on the car other than the wait it out! :sick: :sick: So this weekend ain’t going to plan!

Looks like the Lynford Christie start on the project has turned more into a tommy the tortoise crawl. Oh well:eusa_doh:

Paul L
29th July 2018, 07:31
Ouch! :eek:

Perhaps you can spend your recovering time researching finishing touches on line?

I know buying new stuff often cheered me up during my own build. :icon_wink:

Heal well, Paul. :)

Welshkiwi
29th July 2018, 09:26
Ouch! :eek:

Perhaps you can spend your recovering time researching finishing touches on line?

I know buying new stuff often cheered me up during my own build. :icon_wink:

Heal well, Paul. :)

Hey thanks Paul. Starting touches may be more appropriate than finishing, but I certainly know what you mean. I will spend sometime hopefully wisely that will benefit later on!
I am not a passive relaxer, so with the wait for the kit and now this it is testing my ying and yang! Cheers fella, appreciate the thoughts. :yo:

Barber
21st August 2018, 11:14
Any improvements in the knee, or the roll cage, or both?

Welshkiwi
22nd August 2018, 03:31
Any improvements in the knee, or the roll cage, or both?

Hi Barber, thanks for the catchup! Still chugging along with the knee, seeing the specialist on Monday, but am certainly moving around better than I was a few weeks ago.

Roll cage now fits the car, still tight going in but that is due to a slight “crab” in the roll tubes that evidently occurred when fabricating. I have the certifier coming round tomorrow for more photos of it installed and fitment locations so that they can be sent for final structure approval. If all ok I will be cleared to paint/final install and carry on! I could have soldiered on in other areas, but with the disappointment of not being able to get started as I wanted, plus the knee issue it dropped my enthusiasm for a bit. Now getting around more I am happier, just need the ok with the cage etc and I can progress onwards a bit better!
Liking the progress with the roof/glass on yours, should be a fine finish on that one!. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
4th October 2018, 03:18
Hey guys,

Been watching your progress on your threads avidly in the background with very little to say so have stayed silent! Honestly my build has been a frustration coupled with personal and family illnesses so I have stayed well away from working on the car when not in the best frame of mind. Very mindful not to do something twice so better not at all.
The good news is there is sun breaking through the horizon. I have finally got the go ahead and the green light from the certification side over here to proceed. So just having a catch up/set the plan with the certifier on Monday and then I am all go. Unsure what my schedule will allow me to put in time wise, but will make sure it is as plenty as I can make it!
The only progress has been the parcel shelf/new speakers set up in the car and partial wiring extensions started as well as the front alloy bumper resized. Minimal work due the delay but I had weeks where I couldn’t move freely so just left it.
Hoping the roof support/cage will be prepped and sprayed next week for fitment soon after. Once in I can get stuck in all over the build but am going to concentrate on front clam and inside shelf area prior to re-fitting the seats etc.
Hoping for some photos soon to give me some enthusiasm of progress and to get my A into G! :focus:

Cheers :thumb:

Welshkiwi
3rd November 2018, 03:48
Hey fellas/ladies.
Been some progress but some challenges as well.

Wiring: Have virtually finished extending the lighting back to the rear engine bay scuttle ready for wiring through the front clam. Pretty standard stuff, soldered wires, heat shrink and waterproof quick disconnects for the transition to bay/clam so if I need to remove it in future much easier proposition. Going to work on a couple of brackets for the disconnects to tie to as well as tidy the looms etc. All the left side tested out ok so fingers crossed for the rest of it!

SRS: this will be the challenge. Due to having to meet 700mm zonal head impact regs, as the cage is close and well within standard 900mm, then webgrabber seatbelts needed both sides. They are being discussed next week with supplier. Thought I had it nailed with resistances reqd to bypass pretensioner and seat belt buckle, but something wrong. Used 3.3ohm for squib and 100ohm for “buckled” bypass but SRS fault light stays on. Unfortunately OBD2 that I am using tells me no fault codes so I can’t reset anything! Another days problems I think!.....It may be picking up the passenger seat pad fail as it is not plugged in so I may end up with the original guts of the seat plugged in and tied under the seat assy somehow to get round it and just bypass resistor the airbags both sides. We’ll see.

Cage: Painted and ready to go in. Anti crush tubes were required by LVV to be fitted at front location bolts, tube wall is probably fine but didn’t take me long to fabricate/paint some fill in tubes. Hopefully put in tomorrow so I can start working on high level brake light fitment to roll tube.

Parcel shelf area about 90% there, some carpet needs trimming etc but letting it settle into the curves before I do that. Bloody new speakers don’t work after wiring in, unfortunately didn’t check the originals worked before I took them out so it may be an input issue from the head unit plugs etc. Nothing visible but another challenge to work through before the seats go back in.

So hopefully getting closer to some pictures tomorrow and pulling the front clam out of the crate for a play! Cheers.

Barber
3rd November 2018, 05:45
Well done matey, looking forward to the pics.

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2018, 07:29
I'm presuming yours is a facelift car. There is an issue with not being able to read fault codes from the round plug under the bonnet.
I can read from the plug under the steering wheel but nothing from the plug under the bonnet.
This link should help you solve it.........hopefully. I haven't tried anything yet because my electrical knowledge stops at putting a fuse in a plug.

http://techiesexpedition.blogspot.com/2016/01/odb2-on-1999-bmw-z3-2-liters.html

Welshkiwi
3rd November 2018, 07:59
I'm presuming yours is a facelift car. There is an issue with not being able to read fault codes from the round plug under the bonnet.
I can read from the plug under the steering wheel but nothing from the plug under the bonnet.
This link should help you solve it.........hopefully. I haven't tried anything yet because my electrical knowledge stops at putting a fuse in a plug.

Thanks for the link Jag, I’ll have a read but it might be past me as well! I am plugged into the under the steering wheel location, scanner says it is connected, shows revs etc when engine running and says connected to ecu, but draws a blank when asked for codes, just says none stored in ecu. Once I plug everything back in it will be interesting to see if it self resets. I thought I might get some snags like this once I start looking at bypassing pretensioners, seat belt buckling as well as passenger seat occupancy pad. Possible backstop will be remove seat belts from car and reattach the clever bits under the seat with the belt tangs coupled which should stop the gizmos being unhappy. 3.3ohm resistors should then take care of the steering wheel and passenger airbag circuits.
I’ll play a bit more tomorrow if I get a chance....

casamolino
3rd November 2018, 08:29

Good morning on my facelift car it was the opposite more codes could be seen and reset by using the under body unit rather than the under dash one , thanks geoff .

Welshkiwi
3rd November 2018, 08:43
Hey thanks for the imputs guys. It seems upon further research and the info supplied by casamolino/Geoff it looks likely I need the 20 pin scan tool for the SRS/airbag system.

I’ll get one and see if I can reset the codes. I may have nailed the resistances after all. Let’s see........

Jaguartvr
3rd November 2018, 16:08
It is I believe the under bonnet plug that links to the ABS and air bags.

Welshkiwi
4th November 2018, 02:18
It is I believe the under bonnet plug that links to the ABS and air bags.

Agree Jag - Sourcing the 20 pin diag tool and see how we go.

Welshkiwi
4th November 2018, 02:27
Hi guys,

not as much progress today as I would have liked, wiring is taking a bit longer than I thought and when you drop one of the Deutsch pins down underneath the ECU when doing the R/H side and cant find it that has an effect!

L/H side extension wiring/bracket and disconnects:
(made out of thin gauge ally and riveted on - rubberised cork soft surface on top for fretting and fuse box lid still can be removed with harness slack.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4853/31834927618_dc03ba0360_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9jSo)Bracket (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9jSo)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4804/31834928228_65eb7553c9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9k3U)Quick disconnect LH (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9k3U)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4899/43889262330_83734c587f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29SkWBu)Loom extensions LH (https://flic.kr/p/29SkWBu)

Roll cage forward anti crush tubes:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1958/31834927568_94b8717f98_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9jRw)Cage anti crush tubes (https://flic.kr/p/Qv9jRw)

Parcel shelf and speakers in-work:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4887/45707031531_656bfe4ef6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cCYu4M)Parcel shelf inwork (https://flic.kr/p/2cCYu4M)

Nice to be underway and with a bit of energy into the project. I'll start on the front clam soon and still need to talk to Chris/Dan about some req'd bits.

Welshkiwi
5th November 2018, 07:31
Well managed to squeeze a few hrs in after work and managed to get the R/H electrical looms in and bracketed. Same as the L/H side used ally fabricated into a bracket and fixed to two screw locations on the bulkhead as well as using one of the captive screws on the "E Box" on the R/H side by the brake master cylinder. Nice and tidy and hopefully out of the way of the clam when I get to put that on. Just a bit of final clipping and permanent labelling left to do.

Roll cage is finally installed and ain't coming out again! Need to tidy around the tubes, fix with custom sized bolts at the rear end and @ chassis tubes to tidy up the locking/finish.

R/H Disconnects and bracket:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1970/44814518615_b91d39f8d4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bh7854)RH Disconnect bracket (https://flic.kr/p/2bh7854)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1978/45728332341_ff1c33c88f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cERE48)RH Electrical (https://flic.kr/p/2cERE48)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4917/45677927542_4762559292_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cApjsS)RH Quick disconnect (https://flic.kr/p/2cApjsS)

Rollcage Installed:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1926/31856694568_349a8f0887_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Qx4TqC)Roll cage installed 1 (https://flic.kr/p/Qx4TqC)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4835/30788038987_bd3a2f63a8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NUCKmp)Roll cage installed (https://flic.kr/p/NUCKmp)

Barber
5th November 2018, 10:35
Great, well done, you just have to keep going now.

Welshkiwi
8th November 2018, 07:39
Cheers Barber, will do my best!

For any kiwi based followers, have worked thru the LVV side of things as far as the seatbelts. New belts required but as the BMW belts are spec’d at approx 75 degrees and 105 degrees then webgrabbers can’t be fitted as they don’t make them to that spec. So normal new inertial reel belts and stalks are being fitted as per allowed.

This is due to the airbag coming out and the head impact zonal requirements with the coupe roof cage..

The LVV side is working out ok, a few little bits to consider or do differently from what is allowed/able to do in the UK, but nothing too scary. Just takes a bit more time and efforts that’s all.

Welshkiwi
11th November 2018, 04:07
Hey guys, a bit of progress today, but i keep getting caught out in the timescale of doing things! Mind you I spend too much time admiring and planning than doing actual stuff at times, I'll learn!

The front end is on and generally all good. I am going to have to play a bit as I have a height difference between left and right hand sides/wheel arches etc but once I get the bonnet catches sorted we'll see what I have. Hoping not a major to align all that up. You may see below a bit more gap on the L/H side at present. Approx 30mm.

I have already got the bonnet stuck about three times so far and at present definitely a two person job to release and raise. Bonnet lines out of the mould are pretty good. Some small work needed on the left side as there is a small "wave" in the line coming down the bonnet/over the wheel arch, nothing too major just final fettling stuff before paint etc.

Side Indicators will need to be stripped and rebuilt with longer retention bolts - Too short to go through the clam fibreglass suitably.

Bumper trimming needs to be done a bit but plenty of work to do before then. - They look real good though with the front end shape.

Sorted the SRS system, just need to make a Passenger occupancy sensor bypass tomorrow (2x100 Ohm resistors and a 1N4001 or subsitute diode) once is put in and reset I should be clear of the pre-tensioners and buckles/occupancy. Just need to ballast the airbags at a later date.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/45096975564_bbb021b590_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4MFs)Front end clam (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4MFs)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4882/45096965964_10a701d0ec_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4JPW)Clam up (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4JPW)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4815/45821366601_36c1c42af9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cP5tU6)LH wheel gap (https://flic.kr/p/2cP5tU6)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4889/45096965374_953164e58b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4JDL)RH Wheel gap (https://flic.kr/p/2bH4JDL)

keith
11th November 2018, 09:04
That does look good

Lucky@LeMans
11th November 2018, 11:12
Looks good! The front end moulding in one piece looks better than the split front like on Kidge's car. The frenched in side lights in the moulding also a big plus to get the right look. Are those the GRP quarter bumpers you have fitted ?

Welshkiwi
11th November 2018, 15:26
Looks good! The front end moulding in one piece looks better than the split front like on Kidge's car. The frenched in side lights in the moulding also a big plus to get the right look. Are those the GRP quarter bumpers you have fitted ?

Cheers guys, yup the grp quarters are what Chris/Dan did for me with the kit. Nicely done with their own integral bracket. I will do a bit of reprofiling in a few areas, paint the underside etc and get them chrome vinyl wrapped. They should look pretty sharp then and able to be re-covered if they get chips/damage. Also really happy with the indicators/look just got to get them installed with better retention. Cheers.

Welshkiwi
12th November 2018, 06:02
Hi guys,

The following is the normal safety caveat - I am only disabling my SRS system as I am allowed to by LVV and the fact that new seatbelts are being fitted. I am not condoning tampering or working on the SRS system for any purposes other than documenting what has been done on my car so my memory can be accessed down the track.

Made up the passenger occupancy bypass sensor to allow the SRS system to believe that someone is sat in the seat - This then stops the sensor sending a fault message for being unplugged. So I have successfully bypassed:

Drivers side seat belt loom - 100 Ohm resistor which simulates seatbelt buckled. (across outside pins)

Drivers side pretensioner squib - 3.3 Ohm resistor which simulates the squib. (Across two pins)

Passenger side pretensioner squib - Again 3.3 Ohm resistor (Across two pins)

Passenger side occupancy sensor - 2x100 Ohm resistors and 1x 1N4004 diode in series (Silver diode band to blue seat control box unit lead) - Simulates someone sat in the seat which activates the Passenger airbag and stops a fault code for SBE01.

Just for your info your passenger side buckled sensor is not plugged in. I imagine that this is a throw back from L/H drive or R/H drive cars and the loom is swapped sides in the car depending on country of required usage. (Drivers seat active from buckled sensor, passenger side from occupancy sensor)

This above info can help if you have a fault message and you are trying to identify if it is the loom or a component faulty. You will need a fault reset tool though as they stay "latched/hard locked in"

So I am now clear to be able to tidy the looms, refit the seats and carry on with the internals......

Also mocked up the R/H indicator tonight - see below.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4823/31968915178_91e1ef3f87_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QGZ3GJ)RH side indicator mock up (https://flic.kr/p/QGZ3GJ)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4808/45839784971_b4b1cb60ed_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2cQGT3c)RH Side indicator mockup 1 (https://flic.kr/p/2cQGT3c)

Paul L
18th November 2018, 06:21
WelshKiwi – Looks like you are making good progress. :cool:

I’m also sure that even seeing something as small as the side indicator in place helps with motivation.

Welshkiwi
18th November 2018, 08:01
WelshKiwi – Looks like you are making good progress. :cool:

I’m also sure that even seeing something as small as the side indicator in place helps with motivation.

Cheers Paul, appreciate it. Feeling well motivated at the moment but a slow week this week, my boys cricket and my daughters dance show have derailed the flow, but that is life! Hoping for a bit more over the next week or two.....:tea:

Egdik
23rd November 2018, 09:16
Good to see 'MY' bumpers being used, did Chris say that royalties would follow . . .

The side repeaters look fine, I sealed them with some soft butyl and had enough bolt length to fit well. They are certainly an item of beauty.

Is the panel base for the front indicators facing straight forward ?

We fitted some uprated bonnet struts, but it is tricky with a lack of space. Really need even more force to hold the bonnet up.

Lovely to witness your progress.

Welshkiwi
24th November 2018, 01:58
Good to see 'MY' bumpers being used, did Chris say that royalties would follow . . .

The side repeaters look fine, I sealed them with some soft butyl and had enough bolt length to fit well. They are certainly an item of beauty.

Is the panel base for the front indicators facing straight forward ?

We fitted some uprated bonnet struts, but it is tricky with a lack of space. Really need even more force to hold the bonnet up.

Lovely to witness your progress.

Hi Kidge, yeh sorry in respect to your bumpers/moulds taken from them. I was just made aware that you knew moulds were taken for future use and that they would be supplied with the kit I ordered. As far as royalities, tricky one.....you may have to squeeze a bit for those! :icon_confused:

The fwd indicator pods do have a slight sidewards face to them, not directly fwd facing. same as yours? Did you straighten yours?

Will be looking further into the bonnet struts to see if a local company can sort an up rated strut for me. Also need to upgrade the springs on the catches when all the lights are in so the bonnet “pops” and allows me a one man operation.

Thanks for the good wishes tho, mild progress at best but progress all the same.

rossnzwpi
6th January 2019, 21:27
Hey Welshkiwi, I'm in Auckland too. I hope you are taking advantage of the glorious weather to make progress on your project. Did you ever find boot hinges? They look suspiciously like a pair I have in my garage from a FIAT Dino Sider (also built by Pininfarina). I want mine for my own project but you could easily use them as a pattern to cast and then chrome some for your boot. Superformance used to stock the FIAT items at 75GBP but I see they are out of stock at the moment.
Best of luck
Ross (in Blockhouse Bay)

rossnzwpi
7th January 2019, 05:39
Do these look like the boot hinges for a 275 GTB?

NeilF355
7th January 2019, 09:49
Do these look like the boot hinges for a 275 GTB?

Here are some for sale https://www.ital-spares.com/brand/ferrari/1845/trunk-hinges-external-pair/paar-kofferdeckelschaniere-aussen

They do look like the ones you have but at 399 euros they are not cheap.

https://www.ital-spares.com/brand/ferrari/1845/trunk-hinges-external-pair/paar-kofferdeckelschaniere-aussen

You could always go for internal hinges which some of the original cars had.

Lucky@LeMans
7th January 2019, 19:59
Have you looked at Morris Oxford boot hinges. Very similar design and readily available new for around £20 a pair.

Lucky@LeMans
7th January 2019, 20:03
Here are the type I'm thinking about...

rossnzwpi
8th January 2019, 21:33
Those Morris Oxford / Hindustan ones are quite similar (didn't pinin have a hand in it too?) apart from the hump around the exposed axle. I saw genuine used ones on Ebay.com for USA$2000.....
The fiat Dino ones are identical apart maybe from being a bit shorter - easy and affordable to cast them a bit longer in sand then polish then chrome - all depends on how much authenticity you're after.
cheers
Ross5796

Welshkiwi
16th January 2019, 06:46
Hey Welshkiwi, I'm in Auckland too. I hope you are taking advantage of the glorious weather to make progress on your project. Did you ever find boot hinges? They look suspiciously like a pair I have in my garage from a FIAT Dino Sider (also built by Pininfarina). I want mine for my own project but you could easily use them as a pattern to cast and then chrome some for your boot. Superformance used to stock the FIAT items at 75GBP but I see they are out of stock at the moment.
Best of luck
Ross (in Blockhouse Bay)

Hey Ross, apologies for the delayed reply, have been away on summer hols etc enjoying our sunshine! Really appreciate the info etc and the offer on the hinge possibilities, will certainly bear that in mind. I am in Howick for your info.

I currently have Morris Oxford hinges on the back, not sure whether they will be the finals as they needed a bit of fettling/tidying. The backend is still in the crate and hasn’t seen the light of day yet due to other things taking over so pretty poor progress so far. I have had health issues which means I am heading for surgery in the next few months, my boy has had health issues which has sucked a lot of other time but one day the priorities will change!

I have a lot of potential energy just waiting to turn kinetic. Steering wheel and boss ready to fit once tidied the electrical ballast. Seat belts arrived so ready to fit. Have got some 15” style 5 crosslace BMW alloys which I have trial fitted to the car. Could be an option with some 195/65/15 balloon rubber wrapped round them, need the panels fitted before I make final decision on that look.

Lots of wiring to run in front clam and rear section still and then going to start bonding for top of screen/front of roof.

Look forward to catching up sometime and thanks for the photos of your hinges, they look very similar and very nice! Cheers Mark.

Welshkiwi
18th January 2019, 05:01
Stimulated by Hugh and his steering boss questions I have made some progress - Cheers fella!

Initial fitment of the Nardi Steering wheel, PCD spacer and OMP boss kit tonight.
Temporary fit of wheel due to need to change the clock spring fitment to three locations (need to modify the plastic support) and probably need to grind down the OEM original hub spacer washer as it is now too thick and with the face of the column being angled it will be needed to be fitted.
Jacked the front up and steering lock and indicator cancelling all works. Even temporary rigged a rocker switch and the horn works ok so I know now the clock spring is good.

Had the car running as you can see below with no lights - ABS light comes on with ignition, self checks and goes out so happy days! Double stage wheel airbag needed two 3.3 Ohm resistors for that. (As well as the previous SRS work I listed before)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7807/39819273853_6644be79cb_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23EGbQn)Nardi Wheel 1 (https://flic.kr/p/23EGbQn)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4828/46784771921_2d0410bff8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ehdbJD)Boss Adaptor and OMP Boss (https://flic.kr/p/2ehdbJD)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7924/32908943638_6ede94268c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S93WpY)Wheel Wiring Initial double ballast (https://flic.kr/p/S93WpY)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7868/39819274183_b981929a14_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23EGbW4)Running - No Lights (https://flic.kr/p/23EGbW4)

Welshkiwi
19th January 2019, 00:21
Managed to complete the fit of the steering wheel today as well as route the rear brake light high level harness, fit the seatbelts (new for LVV cert) as well as 95% complete the rear parcel shelf (some carpet covers to make up for the vertical roll cage supports/belt areas). Also prepped the top of the front screen ready for bonding on the support for the front of the roof.

The steering wheel clock spring had to be modified as the holes in the OMP boss were not quite the right PCD and only one hole would align at anyone time. So to fit the three screws I slotted the plastic supports, managed to fit all three screws snug and tight and threadlocked for security. The steering column washer/spacer had to be re-sized, it mic'd up at 10.3mm but to match where the original M series OEM wheel was positioned it needed to be 8.3mm approx. Got the file out and the wet/dry etc and it worked a treat. Just need to fit the horn button now, waiting for my order on E-bay to arrive, gone for a Pininfarina logo button.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7903/39829355293_491b05f597_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23FzRGi)Clock spring - unmodified (https://flic.kr/p/23FzRGi)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7806/46794646051_09d90ca24f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ei5MYg)Clock spring - modified (https://flic.kr/p/2ei5MYg)

Welshkiwi
22nd January 2019, 04:53
Hi guys,

Managed to trial fit the roof/bodyline tonight. So happy to get to this point! There will be some challenges ahead as I have a few things that I think that may cause a bit of scratchy beard time, but hey what else do we have to do!

Main challenges will be:

- Security of the rear shell to the kit and forward roofline to car bonding - especially for LVV cert pass
- Gapping and spacering, body is sitting away from some of its support structures.
- Style 5 wheels at the rear may be too far out - May need to consider z4 hubs to bring the wheels under the arches if I go that route
- Fuel filler tubing clearance is not good with the rollcage and boot structure - I may be forced to change shape of the filler tube going through that area or even just fit the filler as a "dummy" and keep the fill original on the side with a fill flap. Hopeful I can sort the former....Here's some pics.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7922/39869919993_b058008b65_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KaLaF)front quarter (https://flic.kr/p/23KaLaF)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4823/31893619337_cac5234ac0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8Sz)Rear quarter (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8Sz)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7921/39869919693_41935f889f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KaL5v)Rear view (https://flic.kr/p/23KaL5v)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4811/39869919313_7a080b9895_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKXX)Roof trial fit (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKXX)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7838/46782917942_dfbeb838bf_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eh3FBu)Side window (https://flic.kr/p/2eh3FBu)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7838/39869918773_4a716e0752_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKND)Side (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKND)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7886/31893619077_5fcaeb374c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8N6)Trial body 2 (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8N6)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7908/31893618787_110497e1a3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8H6)Trial body1 (https://flic.kr/p/QAk8H6)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4918/39869918563_8a292b4b4e_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKK2)trial style 5 wheel (https://flic.kr/p/23KaKK2)

But all that said, it is a project after all so where would the challenge be?

Lucky@LeMans
22nd January 2019, 10:44
Looking good so far. What are your plans for the area behind the side windows ? Fill it so it follows the shape of the window ?

Welshkiwi
23rd January 2019, 02:24
Looking good so far. What are your plans for the area behind the side windows ? Fill it so it follows the shape of the window ?

Hi Lucky, thanks for the comments. No plans as of yet on the window, I spec’d that shape with Chris/Dan as I wanted to see what the relief of the original window shape looked like, especially when all in one final colour.

I think at the moment I like it enough to keep, but as I will be running the car round in bare fibreglass for a wee while, I will get enough time to think before making a final call. Cheers.

rossnzwpi
31st January 2019, 05:49
Looking great Mark, I hope your family's health issues are sorting themselves out.
Ross

Welshkiwi
1st February 2019, 01:53
Looking great Mark, I hope your family's health issues are sorting themselves out.
Ross

Thanks Ross appreciate it fella. Been a bit of a perfect storm since the kit arrived really, I have had a long term knee issue that has only just been confirmed is a torn meniscus so need the surgery in the next few weeks. My boy has had three issues over the preceding months which has taken up a lot of visits etc with the last one a fractured toe. To cap it off daughter has just done the same this week! Always something going on.....

I have finished the steering wheel now, Farina horn button wired up just need the battery connected to test. The heat over here though is making even the simplest task taxing! (Apologies to the blighty brothers who are freezing their proverbials off!) Cheers Mark.

Welshkiwi
7th February 2019, 05:31
Managed a bit of work over the last few days, no photos though due not really visual progress.
Constructed all the looms for the front clam and first fit in conduit on brackets. Battery refitted and all tested out so no mixups or wiring fails yet. Can start terminating at the lights etc now. Horn checks out as well so all steering wheel now complete and tested.
Tried a trial fit of the sills, but with limited room in the garage unable to get the doors wide enough open so left that for another day when the car is pushed out. Got to keep pushing for progress as I don’t know when the surgeon is going to call waving his knife at me with a smile on his face!

Oh also had a great weekend at Hahei at the leadfoot festival. If I get a chance I’ll download the camera and see what I can post up, but look on google for leadfoot festival if interested. It is a yearly hillclimb event ona private estate driveway that has been designed by Rod Millen to represent his favourite parts of goodwood, pikes peak and forestry stages. Awesome event with awesome cars.

Welshkiwi
12th February 2019, 06:46
Be a few pictures soon, just been doing the hard graft under the bonnet with non visible stuff. Front indicators and side indicators in and working, R/h headlight in, pilot works and both beam circuits active, now need to fit 5 pin relay so that I can run the low beam and switch them off when high beam selected. Once I have that sorted will post a diagram for a record and others info. May have bought the wrong trims for the headlights as they seem not deep enough to cover the headlight assy. Need to work that out before I buy anymore! Might just be I need to adjust the light assy a bit. Once R/h side complete need to work on the bonnet safety catch mech extension. At present need to fit my hand in the l/h headlight bucket to open the front clam! That should fill my weekend upcoming........

redratbike
13th February 2019, 05:33
Good to see you are moving forward with it

Pics as always help us dreamers visualise what’s going on

Welshkiwi
17th February 2019, 01:57
Hi guys, thanks for all the good views and enthusiasm so far!

Made progress as planned over the weekend, the heat though is making it pretty difficult to work in, NZ is cooking at the moment!

Wired in all the front lights - All working as planned and low/main beam working through the relay's that I have fitted both sides. (Mini auto relay/5 pin) 20amp Normally closed (NC) and 40 amp normally open (NO) side. Have rigged the low beam to use the NC side so that it operates normally. Once either high beam is "flashed" or put on with the stalk switch, then that powers the relay switch, uses it to feed the high beam and of course the NC side becomes open circuit and cuts the low beam. (This is using all the original wiring extended from the front of the car, so all bulb circuits had a +ve and -ve lead.) I have used the low beam ground wire for the H4 plug and the high beam ground lead for the relay switch ground, but it wouldn't really matter either way round. Works well.
Also extended the bonnet safety catch lever so that I can reach from the grille and pop the catch. Needs a bit of tidying and polishing a bit but works well.
Hoping to start looking at sills and front wheel arches/guards soon......

As you can see from the photos - gaffer tape if my friend at the moment to give me an idea of the look! Happy plodding!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7810/47118523941_89473d7d00_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eMGKzP)RH Light main (https://flic.kr/p/2eMGKzP)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7825/47118524151_e09c1579b2_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eMGKDr)Pilots and indicators (https://flic.kr/p/2eMGKDr)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7800/47066282812_ebe380f52b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eH617G)LH light main (https://flic.kr/p/2eH617G)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7826/47066283032_d00c9cb9c2_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eH61bu)Front light relay setup (https://flic.kr/p/2eH61bu)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7807/33243157248_7034a90f09_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SDzStA)Safety catch extension (https://flic.kr/p/SDzStA)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7812/33243156658_204880434c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SDzSiq)Safety catch rivnuts (https://flic.kr/p/SDzSiq)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7853/33243157078_fb4d0fcd23_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SDzSqE)Safety catch end thru grille (https://flic.kr/p/SDzSqE)

froggyman
17th February 2019, 08:20
Dull and raining here so looking at your pictures is a ray of sunshine to me! The headlamps fitted with those covers and surrounds look great. Keep at it. Every little task completed moves you nearer your goal.

Welshkiwi
18th February 2019, 06:59
Dull and raining here so looking at your pictures is a ray of sunshine to me! The headlamps fitted with those covers and surrounds look great. Keep at it. Every little task completed moves you nearer your goal.

Thanks Froggyman, appreciate the motivation. I have the cert guy coming round tomorrow for a good chat on the rear body fixing amongst other things. There are a few areas I may have to do a few mods to for ensuring the certification side is happy. I’ll keep you all posted! Generally though I do feel heading in the right direction just! Cheers.

Barber
18th February 2019, 07:16
It is great to see this coming together. Keep the momentum going.

Welshkiwi
19th February 2019, 02:24
It is great to see this coming together. Keep the momentum going.

Cheers Barber will try my darndest!

Got together with the cert guy for LVV today, have agreed a few changes that need to be made.

Fuel filler needs to be moved from by the rear window and forward onto the rear arch. There is just not enough room to get the filler pipe through in between the roll cage bar and the rear tub construction without removing base metal. So we have agreed to move it onto the arch which solves that issue and the fact the filler was in the boot directly over the battery.

Rear body support needs to be modified/improved as the rear boot extension doesn’t give enough rigidity for cert. So I am working now changes that are likely to include glassed in brackets for the extension to rear bumper, the rear body onto the original rear guards location and some fixings between the sills/rear arch and in the parcel shelf area. Bit of work but needs must!

Have got a bit of work to redo on the front screen area as well as the r/h front screen edge does not fit tight enough because the infill trim I bonded in is slightly in the wrong position. So likely I will have to cut it and take out half, reclean/prep and re affix.

Lots to do as I will have to also come up with a plan/method to seal off the rear wheel arches from the cabin. Better get my fish oil stocked and brain food working!:frusty: