PDA

View Full Version : New Year Newbie

adventuresoftimtim
5th January 2014, 08:41
Hi Folks!

Well after loitering in the background for a while (and enjoying reading all the build threads!) I have decided to finally introduce myself and say hello.

For the last year I have been enjoying (and learning a lot about) my mk1 MGB. But the battle with tin worm has got me thinking... Maybe there is a something to be said for taking a chassis based car and building your own!

So that's what brought me here... and looking at some of the things you guys are coming out with are really inspiring!

That also goes to the miglia/ribble chaps.. hello to you all as well!

Cheers Tim

Tribute Automotive
8th January 2014, 22:12
Hi Folks!

Well after loitering in the background for a while (and enjoying reading all the build threads!) I have decided to finally introduce myself and say hello.

For the last year I have been enjoying (and learning a lot about) my mk1 MGB. But the battle with tin worm has got me thinking... Maybe there is a something to be said for taking a chassis based car and building your own!

So that's what brought me here... and looking at some of the things you guys are coming out with are really inspiring!

That also goes to the miglia/ribble chaps.. hello to you all as well!

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim

Welcome aboard. Maybe we can do a deal for your MG on a kit?

AndyP57
9th January 2014, 09:59
And a big hello to you Tim from us next door at Ribble :biggrin:

adventuresoftimtim
9th January 2014, 13:20
Thanks guys.

Just to give everyone a bit of background. This is my MG which I have tried to use as much as I can, I've enjoyed giving it a full service and even the messy job of waxoyl.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r728/adventuresoftimtim/MGBwoop022_zpsf81ea1fd.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r728/adventuresoftimtim/MGBwoop012_zps89949c7e.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r728/adventuresoftimtim/MGBwoop005_zps6649173d.jpg

But... I had been after something chassis based that might be easier for a novice like me to restore and that i could potentially rebody, I then spotted this on ebay for the princely sum of £600 (including tax/mot)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r728/adventuresoftimtim/triumph_zps745a705c.jpg

I have told my wife it can be made into a beauty... Lets just say she is yet to be convinced :)

WorldClassAccident
9th January 2014, 13:23
I like the way they have painted the top of the front tyre white - to make it look low profile?

adventuresoftimtim
9th January 2014, 14:09
Hi W.C.A

I think that was actually me just driving down a muddy road... not a bad idea though... now where's that tin of gloss

Scottie22
9th January 2014, 14:45
Is that 1971?

Tax free, and registered as an historic vehicle?

Mister Towed
9th January 2014, 15:38
That BGT looks really good in the pics - beautiful colour. Is it as good underneath?

Herald looks to be a bit of a bargain too. Since the whole Sammio thing took off three years ago prices for small chassis Triumphs went through the roof.

Scottie22
9th January 2014, 15:42
Got so excited about the Triumph, forgot to mention the B!

Very nice!

landmannnn
9th January 2014, 19:56
I absolutely hate MGB's, saying that yours looks nice.

TheLaughingCow
10th January 2014, 01:16
greetings, another fan of british leyland has joined the club!

£600 for a tax exempt herald with MOT is a bargain! If i didn't have enough BL crap already i'd snap that up!

if you are woried about Tin worm, get yourself a nice imported MX5, for less than the cost of the herald, pump it full of waxoyl (your already familiar with that) slap a Tribute MX250 kit on it. and go do some donuts in the dirt!
that'll put a smile on your face!

adventuresoftimtim
10th January 2014, 12:19
Yep scottie it's a 71 herald (so the fact it came with tax wasn't a massive deal) i think they actually stopped making them in early 71.

Cheers Mr T, there aren't that many heralds on ebay now and this one was near London... and it took me a day to drive it back to cheshire :) The owner had stuck it in the wrong section on ebay so it didn't come up if you looked for just 'cars'. I only spotted it as it came up in one of those 'you may also like' side pics. So i got lucky really as it only 3 people had spotted/bid on it.

The MG was sprayed metallic grey a few years before i got it and it's good and solid, some small corrosion round the headlights though. I think I may have to sell the old girl as my recent wedding and honeymoon has emptied the coffers, and it would be nice to restock the big boys toy car fund!

MX5 sounds good! i've never driven one but people tell me they are bags of fun!

casamolino
10th January 2014, 12:53
Good afternoon if you decide to drive down to Dorset in the MBG GT to see Chris , it could be a good idea to park the car out of sight! or you may come back to it to find the rear screen has popped out!!!! please see Geoff`s Build for the reason why . Notice you live in Cheshire i am in Helsby about 1 mile from J14 of the M56 , Geoff .

adventuresoftimtim
11th January 2014, 21:39
Haha yeah i've been reading about your build Geoff, looking forward to seeing the progress! I'm in Winsford, so pretty much right in the middle of the county