PDA

View Full Version : Rivnuts ??

Dan
22nd October 2005, 21:05
Finally got some time on the car today, so started drilling the floors, tried a rivnut on a spare piece of steel tube. I can fit them no problem but when I try to put a bolt in as soon as I get any tightness on it, the rivnut starts spinning. I've tried using the tool again to try getting it tighter even to the point of stripping the thread with the tool. I'm drilling the hole for the rivnut just big enough so I need to give it a little tap in. Any advice would be good as I'm obviously doing something wrong.... :cry:

BIG_Fella
23rd October 2005, 11:26
Are the rivet nuts steel or ali.
Are the rivets off go quality.
I am using ( Emhart Teknologies Pop Nuts Steel ) and my tool is made by ( Gesipa ).
All the rivet that i have put in to the chassie are tight I think my weight mite be helping a bit ( 20 stone of force is quite :badgrin: HEAVY :badgrin: )
I did find that puting the rivet nuts in the tank to be a git the tank was bent a bit by the time the rivet nuts were tight had to straighten tank out afterword.:shock:

Strolls
23rd October 2005, 11:58
A thread on LocostBuilders (http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=31683) suggests gluing the rivnut with "liquid steel" before insertion or using aviation grade "nutplates".

Stroller.

tony-g
23rd October 2005, 17:39
hi all

I hope this makes sense. What I found to work is after pulling the rivnet. I use a piece of angle iron (about 1ft long) with a hole drilled in the end same dia as the bolt. Then put a longer bolt thru the hole. place a lock washer (the multi grip type not the spring type) on bolt between the angle iron and the rivnut. Screw the bolt into the rivnut, as the rivnut starts to spin pull back on the angle iron Thus the lock washer prevents the rivnut from spinning. Now you can carry on tightening the bolt deforming the back giving a much tighter fit than the rivnut puller alone can do. then undo the bolt and fit the correct size bolt.

hope this helps all the best
tony g

Dan
23rd October 2005, 18:24
thanks for the replys. I've decided to go low tech and fit self tappers to hold the centre plate on...