PDA

View Full Version : Stoneleigh ?

lancelot link
21st March 2012, 18:53
OK ...Lots of mentions of Stoneleigh this evening , so who's going ?

Are you taking a Sammio ?
Another kit ?
Daily driver ?
LWB Van to collect your Sammio kit in ? !!!

Be interesting to see how many built cars will be there and current or potential builders.....

AndyP57
21st March 2012, 19:30
My lad and I will certainly be there for the two days. Arriving in the day driver but it's likely my MEVX5 will be on the MEV/RTR stand. May also have the Eco-Exo trike there. I would doubt the Sammio will be anywhere near ready to show by then (but stranger things have happened).
Looking forward to putting faces to names. We're likely staying down in Warwick. Anyone else staying close?

lancelot link
21st March 2012, 19:40
Mike and I will be trying to find a local Hotel that has a single room with bunk beds for the weekend.....stayed in Coventry last time , town centre ...won't be going back

GazDavies
21st March 2012, 19:53
I will be there, hopefully in the Sammio. Looks like BazMason will be coming along with me.

WorldClassAccident
21st March 2012, 20:18
Link please

davecymru
21st March 2012, 20:21
I'll definately be there for one of the days, although im not sure i'll be allowed a full weekend pass!

I'm still building confidence with my Sammio atm and i'm going on longer and longer drives, so hopefully by Stoneleigh i'll be fine with the trek up from Zumerset.

I suspect that the weather may dictate which day I go :)

I was in the daily drive last year and in the main car park. What do we have to do to get the cars "inside"? Gary, do you have space for us to cluster near you? I promise I wont show you up, although that may depend on if Pat behaves :)

Paul L
21st March 2012, 20:27
I would like to pop along if I get the chance (family dependant).

Good luck getting the Cordite ready in time.

Paul.

Link please

http://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/

Roadster
21st March 2012, 20:27
I will be there for 1 day - hopefully in the roadster
I might bring the wife or a friend who is interested in the cordite.

What will be there Garry - i guess a G46 and a Cordite

I look forward to meeting some of you there

WorldClassAccident
21st March 2012, 20:29
Clashes with a stag night and a family wedding. I can only go to one of them so at least 2 out of 3 will be happy. ;-)

tlrtone
21st March 2012, 21:12
I hope to be going, not sure the Sammio will be ready then though. I might get the tent out if the weather is looking half decent!

Tribute Automotive
21st March 2012, 21:20
We will be there. Not sure we will be having an indoor stand this year, might prefer being "mobile" outside.

You won't have to worry about vinyl wrap flying off my car and sticking to your windscreen this year, it's gel coat or primer this time!!

How is the single sleeping bag going to work on a bunk bed???

lancelot link
21st March 2012, 22:06
I will be there for 1 day - hopefully in the roadster
I might bring the wife or a friend who is interested in the cordite.

What will be there Garry - i guess a G46 and a Cordite

I look forward to meeting some of you there

WE ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO TAKE A CORDITE AT SOME STAGE OF COMPLETION.....Won't have a G46 ready but might rustle up a Spyder to put on the stall as well.....contrast between the 2 Triumphs would be cool....

I need to get a G46 in paint and fitted up before I really push that marque properly....

volospian
22nd March 2012, 07:19
Well, I was intending to go, but only to see the G46. Before placing an order I need to see one in the flesh (and discuss the mods I've talked about) but if it's not going to be there, there's no point in me going.

It's a bit disappointing as I've got a whole day in the garage tomorrow to finish the LHF suspension rebuild, then I'm off to see Paul at ppctvr (http://www.ppctvr.co.uk/) on Staurday to sort getting my engine back. The new 'box is in the garage waiting so by May I'll have a rolling chassis ready to start sorting out locating the engine mounts, but I won't be able to do that until I know for sure what body I'll be fitting.

lancelot link
22nd March 2012, 07:38
Thats a shame ....I cannot take everything , we just dont have the man power or budget to do that.
I took the G46 to Exeter and kinda wished I hadn't ....we sold a few , but it didn't look great.
It needs to be in colour and then I know we will be on a roll.....

Its a bit of a trek for us to Coventry and I am hoping to get the same spot as last time , which means we will only need to take a Cordite and hopefully some attending Spyders can hang around on and in front of my stall to display that marque for us......

If you do decide to attend ....come and say hello anyway.

lancelot link
22nd March 2012, 07:40
Gary, do you have space for us to cluster near you? I promise I wont show you up, although that may depend on if Pat behaves :)

I have a sort of unofficial plan to take advantage of attending Sammio's to beef the stall up a bit .....so not a problem.

We can drive a stake into the ground and tie Pat to it at the back of the Stall if he gets out of control !

volospian
22nd March 2012, 08:02
Thats a shame ....I cannot take everything , we just dont have the man power or budget to do that.

If you do decide to attend ....come and say hello anyway.

No worries. I appreciate that, you have to show your products in their best light. It's just a bit frustrating that I'm at a point where I want to get on with the build (damn thing has been sitting on my drive for about 18 months already, lol) but I don't want to make decisions "blind".

TBH it would be better for me to see it "in development" at your workshop rather than at the show anyway, it's just that (according to Google Directions anyway) it's about a 7 hour round trip from here to your place and, based upon my cars economy, would use at least a tank of fuel, so it was something I was hoping to avoid... still, I have loads of TOIL built up at the moment...

If I do come I'll definitely say hello as it would be useful to have a chat about the car and potential mods anyway.:biggrin1:

Nike55
22nd March 2012, 09:16
??

Patton
22nd March 2012, 19:59
Yep, I'll be there but will skippy be wearing paint delayed at the mo for technical reasons "one of Gary's cunning plans" coffee bauldrick?

mulberry
27th March 2012, 19:43
mell just said we can stay for the whole weekend in a tent, so we will get 2 days at the show,so if you see my tent rocking, ya now its windy outside. might even have the sammio there if she passes the MOT.. look forward to meeting up...with the sammio clan

lancelot link
29th March 2012, 19:18
mell just said we can stay for the whole weekend in a tent, so we will get 2 days at the show,so if you see my tent rocking, ya now its windy outside. might even have the sammio there if she passes the MOT.. look forward to meeting up...with the sammio clan

Would be great if the car was ready......see you soon...

The 1958 Rocker
19th April 2012, 19:09
Hi Guys, count me in. Not sure if I will be staying for one or two days, but hope to get a few bits for my build ;-). Might bring a tent, but only have a brand new four or six man tent. Bought for me and my son to do a help for Hero's rally, but he sustained an injury doing a triathlon and had to drop out. Bl**dy RAF officers, still he's all mended which is more than I can say about my build. If anyone wants to share the tent, with seperate rooms don't you know, message me and we can plan. I will be able to decide how long I stay if I know what others are doing.

Cannot wait to see all you guys,

The Rocker

The 1958 Rocker
19th April 2012, 20:31
Hi De Hi, my wonderful wife who thinks this is all a load of twaddle (what do fitness instructors know?) says my tent is a six man/woman to stay politically correct. I will most likely be alone, but if anyone wanted to share the tent, I would be convinced to stay the two days.
The Rocker

Straight Sixer
20th April 2012, 07:25
OK Len, step into the confession box, take a seat. :loco: She who (thinks she) is being obeyed is actually nuts about cars and is gagging to see some built Sammios. We have stupid car clubbie (hence the confession) things to do with Jaguars the same weekend but hoping to make a flying visit on Sunday en route from West London to Goodwood. Well, it's on the way innit? :der:

Hopt to see you all there.
Len.

chap68
20th April 2012, 20:30
chap68 hey gary count me in will be there one of the days carnt wait to see my new cordite!! yes to anybody reading my sammio special body bulkhead and frame and of course the NORFOLK SCOOP is up for grabs!! any body intrested contact gary as he is dealing with it its to no fault of his or its own just me changing my spec and plans and uping power and what i want long term!! ive now got full pi system for mine as it sits nice and low below rockercover hight and 6 throttle bodies and some tuneing work its going to be a rocket i hope?!! so heres a chance any of you to own the one off!! see you sunday gary cheers Andy.

donnysoutherner
20th April 2012, 21:18
OK, looks like I'll be there on the Monday, seeing as Gary is going to (hopefully) bring my CORDITE shell with him. Number one out of the mould, yay!

lancelot link
21st April 2012, 18:09
OK, looks like I'll be there on the Monday, seeing as Gary is going to (hopefully) bring my CORDITE shell with him. Number one out of the mould, yay!

Thats an interesting debate Simon....

It is technically the 2nd one out ...first one was produced to create the framework and was made slightly differently to a production one to be used as such...

You will be getting the first commercially sold exactly as they should be Cordite kit.

I still have the original plug body for the Spyder hung on the wall ....The G46 didn't survive being released and was foam and filler anyway , so Patrice has number 1....The body we used for the Cordite could be saved ...not financially viable to sell but I might get Mike to re-glass it , repair the door shuts and use it on mine....

So I will have the pre-production original , you will get first post production kit......You never know it might mean something one day !

Roadster
28th April 2012, 07:24
I have finally my work rota for next week and i will be coming up Monday morning. I hope to meet some of you, lend Garry some support and maybe buy a few little bits - Stoneleigh always has the bits that are awkward to find.

Lets hope the weather is kind.
Whats the line up at the show Garry - a Cordite must be a must now as it ticks all the boxes for those that do not want to slide in over the side of a spyder.

Im sure that you will recieve more interest this year - all that blood sweat and tears is apparent in every variation you create.

davecymru
28th April 2012, 18:01
Gary, have you managed to get any parking local to where you are in case any of us do make the trog up in our Sammios?

I realise that you may not want to associate with some of us and so may be hiding in a corner and giving Pat a big stick to fend us off. But seeing as we're not going up as not-a-club this year, i thought it would be at least nice for all of us who can make the trip to park together?

The 1958 Rocker
28th April 2012, 18:26
Another quick question, when I collect my frame on Sunday. Whats the situation regards collecting the frame from you and getting it to my truck? Will they let me drive over to collect it, or shall I hope for a few helpfull lads ;-)

Rocker

davecymru
3rd May 2012, 19:20
Any more details on the weekend yet?

As i've been away with work all week, i'm now a so/so atm due to SWMBO :icon_frown:

tlrtone
3rd May 2012, 22:02
I'm going up on Monday on my motorbike. Nothing big for me to get now so just looking at some small bits.

Oh and to say hello to Gary and whoever else is around

froggyman
4th May 2012, 07:17
I'm going up on Monday on my motorbike. Nothing big for me to get now so just looking at some small bits.

Oh and to say hello to Gary and whoever else is around

and to take lo lots of Sammio related pics for those unable to attend. Thank you.

Roadster
4th May 2012, 07:25
Are you taking a shelter with you Garry, as Monday looks like rain.

Im still intending to go but if the weather doesnt improve it could be a poor showing - many kits dont have wet weather gear

GazDavies
4th May 2012, 07:38
I am planning to go on Monday also. Possibly in the Sammio if I can get the remaining jobs done today and the weather is OK.

AndyP57
4th May 2012, 07:56
Gary, Just so we have a first target once we're in Stoneleigh, do you know where they have put you yet?

lancelot link
4th May 2012, 18:21
HALL ONE , ALONG A WALL OPPOSITE HAWK CARS !!

Thats all I know at present ....

Sorry for absence this week but been VERY busy ....had to wait for my frames , then a bit of faffing , swapping chassis ( long story ) but getting there !!

about 3 hours work tomorrow , collect the DonnySoutherner body shell , load up Rockers frame and Cordite and on our way about lunchtime hopefully !

See you all on Sunday or Monday !!

Now to organise some accomadation !!

Mister Towed
4th May 2012, 18:50

Bit of a last minute thing but see you there Sunday morning.

Oh, and check your pm's before you go.

AndyP57
4th May 2012, 18:57
I know you'll be on a last minute packing schedule so if there'sanything you find you've forgotten that I could bring along, don't hesitate to let me know. See you Sunday :biggrin:

Psycho pops
4th May 2012, 20:49
Best of luck to those of you lucky enough to be going. I will be waiting for the pics on here.

Paul L
5th May 2012, 12:03
Hope everyone has a good time at the show.
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it after all. :icon_sad:
As others have said, please take lots of Sammio photos.

Cheers, Paul. :)

PS
While I wait for the rain to stop, I will be playing with the forum.
I'll be posting a guide to the Cordite builds shortly.
I also want to post a general useful threads guide too.

donnysoutherner
5th May 2012, 14:59
....... collect the DonnySoutherner body shell... !!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

tlrtone
5th May 2012, 19:57
Looking at the weather it is meant to be crap on Monday, so I will bike it up there tomorrow, so see you there Mr T et al!

AndyP85
5th May 2012, 20:10
Best of luck to those of you lucky enough to be going. I will be waiting for the pics on here.

I normally go 'wild' at image taking so I'll make sure there are plenty of pictures for you to look at! :biggrin:

Mister Towed
6th May 2012, 18:35
Just arrived home from Stoneleigh.

Had a nice chat with Mike for a change as Gary was hooking a potential new customer. Also bumped into '58 Rocker, AndyP57 and AndyP85 ('57 junior?) at the Sammio stand. I could've stood there chatting all day but 'Towed junior was getting a bit fidgety and Mrs Towed was back at the Hotel health spa waving my credit card around :(

Still, it was lovely to meet you all.

The Sammio stand has a bare Cordite with no drive-train or interior fitted on display so there wasn't much to take pictures of I'm afraid. I asked my ten year old to take a few snaps anyway and these are they -

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/006-6.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/007-5.jpg

There was a decent BRG example that I've not seen before parked out in the Triumph specials display area, but the owner was tied up talking to someone else at length so I didn't bother him with an introduction. If you're reading this I hope to catch up with you some time for a natter. :)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/046.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/047.jpg

I was also a bit peed off that a rather nice looking dark blue example passed me on the other side of the dual carriageway as I was heading back to the hotel.

Oh well. Perhaps next year we'll have a crowded Sammio only parking area. :whistle:

tlrtone
6th May 2012, 20:35
Missed you Mr T. I was busy shopping probably!

I think the cobra and Westfield crowd have a competition to see who can get the most gauges and switches on their dashboard. What the hell they all do is a complete mystery unless they spout wings and a 'copter blade!

Not a bad show, the weather was ace and kept dry and the trade stands were plentiful, so I manged to pick up some small bits and pieces.

I do reckon that we ought to plan a Sammio area and go for camping as it would be a bit of a laugh.

Mister Towed
6th May 2012, 21:21
Sorry I missed you Tony, I was on a short leash I'm afraid.

I know what you mean about the CobraSeven gauge thing - less is more imho and I've always been quite taken by the Porsche 356 three gauge setup. Something similar could find its way into mine methinks.

I was quite impressed by the sheer number of Cobra and Seven replicas in the club areas though, there must have been over a hundred of each.

I also loved the bonkers Renault/Gordini single seater three wheelers and the 2CV based seven lookalike parked near to the entrance. Proper cars, not me-too clones.

Anyway, not a bad show and I might just drive down next year in my finished Spyder...

volospian
8th May 2012, 07:35
Well, I went down on Monday and the rain had scared a lot of people away so most of the club areas were empty, which was my first disappointment, especially as space was limited indoors and so not many finished articles were on display, apart from the main contenders in the popular Cobra and 7 markets.

Anyway, I had a chat with the guys on the Sammio stand and have now decided that the G46 is not for me. My second disappointed was to learn that, after this comment...

Reading the critique about my G46 and looking at the mods you are doing and others talking about , I am thinking about stopping production of the car when everyone on the list is sorted out and maybe reworking it ....

I thought the plans may have included moving the cockpit and maybe a modified or custom floor pan/bulkhead to make it a complete body swap or something, but having now been told that the only factory change will be round wheel arches and that all other body mods will have to be made by the builder makes it just too much effort to get it "in proportion" and how I want it.

I applaud Charman.Tech for his efforts, but I don't have the skills to make the ~200mm strip to insert and end up with something that could be sprayed and not look wonky. I probably don't have the space to do such major construction work either, to be honest.

I'm now not sure what to do with my Scimitar. My options are rebuild it as a Scim (although the reason for wanting the Scim in the first place has now changed, due to work, and I'd only sell it, probably at a loss considering the price of Scimitars, when it was complete) to sell it on job lot as a project, or to sell it on as parts....

Hmmm....

AndyP57
8th May 2012, 07:47
I thought the plans may have included moving the cockpit and maybe a modified or custom floor pan/bulkhead to make it a complete body swap or something

I think you may be a little optimistic in your definition of 'Reworking' against what would effectively be 'Redesigning' with all its associated costs?

volospian
8th May 2012, 08:03
I think you may be a little optimistic in your definition of 'Reworking' against what would effectively be 'Redesigning' with all its associated costs?

Yeah, maybe, but then the statement

Reading the critique about my G46 and looking at the mods you are doing and others talking about...

suggests considering ALL the mods that are being done, especially as that post was in Charman's build thread and posted after a long series of pics regarding moving the cockpit. I think it's fair to assume, considering the context, that it suggested the "reworking" may involve moving the cockpit back, rather than simply rounding off the arches as a factory option.

I admit a new floorpan may have been optimistic, but once someone has done it, it only requires taking moulds to replicate that for new kits... and besides, a bit of rejigging the arches doesn't necessarily require

... stopping production of the car...

does it?

GazDavies
8th May 2012, 08:15
I thought the plans may have included moving the cockpit and maybe a modified or custom floor pan/bulkhead to make it a complete body swap or something, but having now been told that the only factory change will be round wheel arches and that all other body mods will have to be made by the builder makes it just too much effort to get it "in proportion" and how I want.

After speaking to Gary yesterday also I thought that this was the best news that I had all weekend. I really did not like the look of the G46 from the pictures on the website which is why I chose to buy the Spyder however after visiting Sammio towers I just could not beleive how different it looks in person and knew that I had bought the wrong car from Gary! My opinion is that with the rounded arches and a good paint job the car will look amazing and will become very popular.

Although my Spyder is not finished yet I'm already planning to sell it and get a G46 built. On that note I'm looking for a running Scimitar donor so if you are thinking of selling I may be interested.

garyh
8th May 2012, 08:22
Mr. V, i think you should wait and see a finished example of an un-altered G46, but with rounded arches before you make a decision. I bet it will look lovely and that you may not be too worried about where the doors are? Also the fact that you're prepared to take on building a car, should mean that you can probably do anything, just take your time.

What was on display?

AndyP57
8th May 2012, 08:26
Although this thread is straying from the Stoneleigh topic, I wonder if, maybe, a no frills dust coating (Even a spray can) of a colour on the G46 and wheeling it out into the sun for the Sammio meet at the end of June would bring those interested enough to consider it to come down, have a GOOD look at it in the flesh and make their minds up then rather than from photographic evidence whilst in its 'Orca' mode?

volospian
8th May 2012, 08:35
Although my Spyder is not finished yet I'm already planning to sell it and get a G46 built. On that note I'm looking for a running Scimitar donor so if you are thinking of selling I may be interested.

Well, it's not technically "running" as it's in component parts at the moment, lol.

I have a rover v8 to go in it, which is at a TVR specialist having the bottom end rebuilt atm. I have an LT77 5 speed 'box to go in with that. The chassis has been blasted and primed and is now bubble wrapped and leaning against the garage wall awaiting a minor amount of welding to the outriggers. The front suspension has been half rebuilt, while I have all the parts to rebuild the other side, I just need the time.

The rear suspension needs cleaning and rebushing, while the axle itself may need overhauling, I haven't got that far yet. It does need a few parts, brakes, servo, master cylinders, radiator, cooling pipes, ECU (engine is efi, could be converted to carb, I suppose), fuel tank, clutch, shocks and springs, front seats, etc. so it's not going to be a quick "drop on a new body" solution if anybody wants to buy it, lol.

volospian
8th May 2012, 08:52
Mr. V, i think you should wait and see a finished example of an un-altered G46, but with rounded arches before you make a decision. I bet it will look lovely and that you may not be too worried about where the doors are? Also the fact that you're prepared to take on building a car, should mean that you can probably do anything, just take your time.

What was on display?

It is a possibility, I suppose, but I simply don't like the proportions of the G46. I prefer the "sitting on the rear axle" style of the C, D, E types, 300 SLR, Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, Maserati 300S, etc. etc.

The Spyder and Cordite both have that style about them, but for me the issue is one of trying to fit a body to the "wrong" chassis layout in the first place for what I want, and I'd be better starting with something that has that proportion to start with.

The thing I like about the G46 concept is the large layout and hefty engine, more the size of a 300SLR or C type (the scimitar has a slightly longer wheelbase, but is generally about the same size as a 300SLR) than the small size of a spitfire/Herald based kit. I want big 50's GT race car motoring, rather than small British sportscar... if you see what I mean.

Now... I wonder if the G46 kit can be chopped to fit the TVR Chimaera... lol.

craigt
8th May 2012, 11:18
Well, I made it down on the Sunday and took advantage of the good weather. My first kit car show since Belle Vue in 1985, my how things have changed!

Had a good chat with both Mike and Gary, and Andyp57 and son as well and after advising the missus on how to 'visualise' the end result and showing her a finished Spyder in the cars for sale section have now got her on board for the project (apparently I also promised her a weekend in Dorset when I go to pick the body up!) and duly put my deposit down on the Cordite :-)

Everything tied in nicely as I also picked up my 71 Spitfire doner on the way back and am well pleased as it looks to be in excellent condition and pretty much rot free (we shall see once the body comes off though).

Photos to come shortly on my own build thread me thinks :-)

AndyP57
8th May 2012, 11:22
Welcome aboard Craig. It's always good to get the other half involved and we all will look forward to your build thread. (The race is now officially 'On' between you and DonnySoutherner who picked his kit up at the weekend)

craigt
8th May 2012, 11:26
Cheers Andy. Think i'll let DonnySoutherner have the honours though as this is definetly going to be a long term, leisurely build and I'm hoping to 'enjoy the journey' lol

tlrtone
8th May 2012, 11:28
congrats Craig, welcome aboard.

Start you own build thread with lots of pictures of the donor. We are all keen to see how the Cordite builds progress!

Nike55
8th May 2012, 12:43
After speaking to Gary yesterday also I thought that this was the best news that I had all weekend. I really did not like the look of the G46 from the pictures on the website which is why I chose to buy the Spyder however after visiting Sammio towers I just could not beleive how different it looks in person and knew that I had bought the wrong car from Gary! My opinion is that with the rounded arches and a good paint job the car will look amazing and will become very popular.

Also had the opportunity to visit on Sunday and congrats to Gary and Mike for getting the Cordite there. Nice to see deposits being taken for orders...

As I previously stated on the forum the photos and artists renderings of the G46 produced to date do not (IMHO) convey the appearance nor physical presence - you really have to see it in person to get the concept. I'm not even certain a picture of a finished G46 would give the real effect.

(I had considered going down the 'Mercedes SLR' route but to be honest it is a completely different animal, as it was when when launched in the 50's and while its probably possible to build something similar on a Scimitar chassis I believe a better option is to use a dedicated chassis and either Merc or XJ6 running gear... still that's for a different thread).

Volospian - if you can get down to Poole and have a look or wait a bit until a near completed car is available it might change your mind - it changed mine. (sounds corny but true).

volospian
8th May 2012, 13:03
As I previously stated on the forum the photos and artists renderings of the G46 produced to date do not (IMHO) convey the appearance nor physical presence - you really have to see it in person to get the concept. I'm not even certain a picture of a finished G46 would give the real effect.

(I had considered going down the 'Mercedes SLR' route but to be honest it is a completely different animal, as it was when when launched in the 50's and while its probably possible to build something similar on a Scimitar chassis I believe a better option is to use a dedicated chassis and either Merc or XJ6 running gear... still that's for a different thread).

Volospian - if you can get down to Poole and have a look or wait a bit until a near completed car is available it might change your mind - it changed mine. (sounds corny but true).

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a 300SLR replica. I think that a replica has to be spot on identical otherwise it looks terrible. I just want a 50's/60's style car with those classic "ar*e on the back axle" proportions. Basically I want a car with more bonnet than boot. The current G46 just doesn't meet that criteria.

GazDavies
8th May 2012, 14:44
Well, it's not technically "running" as it's in component parts at the moment, lol.
It does need a few parts, brakes, servo, master cylinders, radiator, cooling pipes, ECU (engine is efi, could be converted to carb, I suppose), fuel tank, clutch, shocks and springs, front seats, etc. so it's not going to be a quick "drop on a new body" solution if anybody wants to buy it, lol.

Sadly its not what im looking for, what I need is something to drop off in Poole so Gary and Mike can simply rebody it for me, although maybe sombody else on here may be interested?

I just want a 50's/60's style car with those classic "ar*e on the back axle" proportions. Basically I want a car with more bonnet than boot. The current G46 just doesn't meet that criteria.

I find it strange that you would start to strip the Scimitar with the intention of building a G46 if you did not like the proportions. I dont know if its just me but the critisism the car has got from some seems very unfair. The Sammio company has produced a great looking car but if its not to sombodys taste then either buy it and modify it yourself as others have done or simply look for another car.

garyh
8th May 2012, 15:32
I find it strange that you would start to strip the Scimitar with the intention of building a G46 if you did not like the proportions. I dont know if its just me but the critisism the car has got from some seems very unfair. The Sammio company has produced a great looking car but if its not to sombodys taste then either buy it and modify it yourself as others have done or simply look for another car.[/QUOTE]

I agree. They can only make so many versions with no IVA...:faint:

Mister Towed
8th May 2012, 15:52
I don't particularly want to get into this whole G46 styling debate being a confirmed Spyderholic myself, but I personally think the real problem is the lack of a finished demonstrator or customer car to drool over.

From an objective standpoint the G46 and Cordite 'in the rough' as they both are at the moment just don't have the visual or visceral impact that good 'ol '66 had on Gary's stand and on his website. Once there's a finished article that you can stare at, photograph, sit in etc, it'll be much easier to visualise yourself finishing and driving one for real.

As for the presence of a larger car, the original Sammio Spyder has presence in spades - I had a short passenger ride in Phil J's finished Triumph 2500 powered example on a sunny Sunday and dozens of bikers on their way to the beach were craning their necks and wobbling all over the place trying to get a better look. You've also got to remember that apart from the big Le Mans cars like the SLR, most racing cars (and racing drivers) were pretty small in the fifties.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/007-2.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/006-2.jpg
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do but don't give up on the idea of a Sammio as you won't find a better value package anywhere.

Right, I'll get off the soap box now.

Next..

volospian
8th May 2012, 15:57
I find it strange that you would start to strip the Scimitar with the intention of building a G46 if you did not like the proportions. I dont know if its just me but the critisism the car has got from some seems very unfair. The Sammio company has produced a great looking car but if its not to sombodys taste then either buy it and modify it yourself as others have done or simply look for another car.

Erm, well.. that's because I didn't. The original plan was to simply restore the Scimitar. The reason that I was wondering whether to change my plans of a straight resto is because things have changed at work. The original idea was to have the Scimitar as my daily drive as I only work a few miles down the road from my house, but recently I have been offered another job that will require a lot of travelling, which, for various reasons, the Scimitar wouldn't really be suitable for.

Whether I continue with the resto as originally planned or get rid of the car is all to do with the fact that I won't really want that kind of car (a 3 door "shooting brake" style estate) when I've finished as I won't really use it.

Instead, after a week boxed up in a 4 door saloon, I could probably do with something that sits in the garage and comes out on nice days. A nice two seater rag top with a sweet sounding engine. Someone suggested that the G46 may have suited that and, as I already had all the parts in the garage, I looked into it, but in factory form it's not really what I want and I now think it's too much work for me to take on and modify to end up with what I do want.

I'm not criticising the G46 at all. It has a lot of fans and I respect the fact that we are all different and all like different things. It simply doesn't meet my needs atm. Had I a lot more glassfiber and bodywork skills, and perhaps more space, I would still be considering it, but I don't, so it's not really a suitable option. Instead I would be better off either finishing the Scim and selling it, or getting rid of what I have as is, and starting again with something that does meet my needs.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have started with a Scimitar in the first place.... :D

Nike55
9th May 2012, 08:41
As for the presence of a larger car, the original Sammio Spyder has presence in spades - I had a short passenger ride in Phil J's finished Triumph 2500 powered example on a sunny Sunday and dozens of bikers on their way to the beach were craning their necks and wobbling all over the place trying to get a better look.

Yes, the Spyder is definitely a cute little car....

Nike55
9th May 2012, 08:48
Someone suggested that the G46 may have suited that and, as I already had all the parts in the garage, I looked into it, but in factory form it's not really what I want and I now think it's too much work for me to take on and modify to end up with what I do want.

I'm not an engineer and I would normally outsource engine work that was beyond me. As an option have you thought about outsourcing your bodywork changes?

Just a thought.

herald948
13th May 2012, 15:38
That's my car, although must give credit to Gary and Mike who put the body on and painted it. I've trimmed it and finished the rest although still a work in progress (softer front springs being one job, and a bit more finishing in the cockpit area) - glad you liked it, certainly got a lot of attention, only parked in the historics area as i couldn't see any others when we arrived.

There was a decent BRG example that I've not seen before parked out in the Triumph specials display area, but the owner was tied up talking to someone else at length so I didn't bother him with an introduction. If you're reading this I hope to catch up with you some time for a natter. :)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/046.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/dmonebillion/047.jpg

I was also a bit peed off that a rather nice looking dark blue example passed me on the other side of the dual carriageway as I was heading back to the hotel.

Oh well. Perhaps next year we'll have a crowded Sammio only parking area. :whistle:[/QUOTE]

Mister Towed
14th May 2012, 09:31
Hi there Herald948. Sorry I didn't get the chance for a chin-wag on the day. What's the issue with the front springs and how are you going to source softer ones? :biggrin1:

davecymru
14th May 2012, 09:34
Hi Herald948 and welcome to the not-a-club :)

Dave

herald948
14th May 2012, 11:39
I've softened the back end by taking another leaf out and adding in the original top (very short ) leaf, and raised it with a smaller 1" lowering block to give more suspension travel , this transforms the car from very skittish on anything but a smooth surface to a good ride / handling compromise, but fronts still a bit stiff for my liking - standard Spitfire springs are rated at 150lb/in, which is softer than heralds which should make enough of a difference. I had the same problem with a Dutton I rebuilt, found a place over in Dudley that would take your existing spring, rate it and make a new one at whatever rate / length you wanted for about £25 each, but will try spitfire ones first. With so much weight removed the way forward is softer not harder springs unless you only drive on smooth roads.

Psycho pops
14th May 2012, 15:23
Hi Herald948, and welcome along..
So have you chopped your front springs or are they standard height.
I have a 50mm cut on mine and Imagine that will stiffen them even more, I will see how it is on the road (one day) then consider height and firmness adjustable shocks if required. It may be OK as there were many Spitfire additions already on my Herald when I bought it and I did notice the front sat squatter than my Standard ride so maybe they were softer to begin with.
Cheers Pops

herald948
14th May 2012, 16:00
They were cut down so that would make them stiffer, I'm going to fit the Spitfire ones at normal length and see how it looks but I will be using height adjustable shocks with these so may be able to get the right height with those, if not cut down and have another go.

GazDavies
14th May 2012, 18:05
I fitted some 140lbs springs to the front of my Herald and it was still sitting to high for me. I chopped 2 ins off and think that its sitting fine now but it brings the chassis down to just a few (maybe 3-4) inches off the ground so I will have to be carefull going over speed bumps!