PDA

View Full Version : New boy on the block

MikeD
15th January 2012, 08:22
Hi Guys and girls.. new to the Forum and just collected my Spyder from Gary last week, so chomping at the bit to get on with her. Having limited space I opted for his great deal of fitting the body, so I guess I'm a bit of a cheat there. Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your posts which gave me so much information before I jumped into this project.
On the colour subject it really can go wrong - my 1st rebuild as a teenager ( with my Dad, OK ) was a TR3 and I wanted a yellow car, he let me do this to understand the error of my ways, finished in bright yellow it was dreadful.. so ended up in midnight blue! The only yellow car I have had that looked good was a Beetle.... lesson learned - my Spyder will be bright Red

Mister Towed
15th January 2012, 08:43
Welcome to this happy band Mike.

Would love to see some photos as you go along and please share any hints 'n' tips that you have up your sleeve.

Bright red will look stunning - I wish I could be so definite about the colour mine will end up, but I'm still undecided at the mo. Funnily enough my gut feeling when I first saw the Sammio on the 'net was that it would look great in Fiat Broom yellow...

Anyway, well done on choosing one of Gary's creations and I hope you enjoy the process of finishing your car.

Psycho pops
15th January 2012, 08:46
Welcome to the fold
Should be quick build if body is already on, does that mean engine and suspension are all in place aswell?

cheers Psycho pops

tlrtone
15th January 2012, 09:05
welcome Mike, I am ordering mine in a weeks time (payday!) and have started to strip down my Vitesse in anticipation. Ebay will be getting a steady stream of good bits from me...

Be good to see some pictures and hear any ideas you have for yours..

t

lancelot link
15th January 2012, 14:38
Welcome Mike....good to see you have introduced yourself on here...

Mike supplied me with a very pretty pale yellow Herald complete with MOT and TAX.
The body had been 'bogged' in the past but she did look very nice when he drove her off the trailer !
We did a body fit up to about the same stage as the getting started page on my website....body on , wooded , glassed , front hung etc.

Mike still has a bit to do , but I am confident he will cope quite easily from now on...

Heres the only pic I took of the car ....it is in the background of some of Barry Mays pics though ....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/lancelotlink/DSCF0263.jpg

davecymru
15th January 2012, 15:04
Hi Mike, welcome to the not-a-club :)

I look forward to seeing how you progress, as like the others, we're all looking for ideas to pinch :)

Dave

MikeD
16th January 2012, 12:14
Thanks for the welcome, trying to upload a picture of my car on collection from Gary, couldn't believe how fast he got this done over 12 days of Christmas.....and nearly a driver - just rad, master cylinders and battery to mount and it should run around the yard... but loads to do and looking forward to warmer weather and getting on with it. Unfortunately our Triumph Stag needs a bit of welding for the MOT and it takes priority! Have too many questions in my head now so need to make a start and see how it comes together, think I will test fit the wheels ( MGB wires) and get the front lowered then get her running. Have got a pair of XK seats which I like, still some bits to source but which rear lights????

Mister Towed
16th January 2012, 16:00
Gosh, I wish I could put mine together so quickly! Gary and Mike are just about the most industrious pair I've ever met.

Looking very good already by the way. :party:

garyh
11th May 2012, 11:36
Mike, hows the build going?

MikeD
16th May 2012, 12:38
Well no update and no pics from me I'm afraid, Spyder still under wraps as it came back from Poole in January. Too many other things in the way at the moment but hopefully I will start for real in a month. I have been sourcing parts on the side, made a decision to go the chrome wire wheel way as MGB Hive had an excellent deal on, so if anyone wants a set of 14" MGB wires needing resto. - do get in touch. I have test fitted my Jag XK seats which may be a bit high - I'm only 5ft 10ish, but may have to drop the floor a bit.
Good news on the registration front though - after Gary took the car for inspection - 6 weeks later the Sammio reg document arrived and this month that was followed by a tax reminder - the Herald was taxed and tested before its rebody experience...so I went online and got a new "free" tax disc - Historic vehicle don't you know... bit bizarre as I have a "road legal" Spyder with no seats or interior, radiator, clutch or brakes :) BUT recommend Gary's inspection service - takes any hassle away - watch this space for updates but not for a month or so.
Good to hear from you guys who are driving the Sammios now, can't wait

tlrtone
16th May 2012, 20:41
only 6 weeks to the Sammio Gathering at the end of June Mike, so plenty of time for a paint, trim and shakedown! :flypig:

Go for it! :becky: