PDA

View Full Version : replacing brake fluid

mark gibbens
4th April 2010, 14:29
hi, going to replace my brake fluid ,it looks like mud,whats the best thing to flush the system out with, ive heard methalyated spirits is good for drinking and also cleaning the system, any idea,s, cheers

mac
4th April 2010, 19:28
Hi Mark, I've never heard of anyone using meths or any other type of solvent to clean thier brake system. I don't think it would do the rubber seals any good and there's a chance that you may not get it all out afterwards. The fluid probably looks muddy because it's absorbed a lot of water so needs changing. The best thing to do would be to draw out as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as you can, then fill up with fresh brake fluid and bleed each wheel in turn with a helper (the wife) until you get fresh fluid comming out of each bleed nipple (remember to keep topping up the master cylinder) The new brake fluid will have the effect of flushing the system. Hope this is of some help.

Regards, Mac.

mark gibbens
5th April 2010, 14:31
hi mac, that sounds like a safe option, l,ll go with that cheers

Regards, Mac.[/QUOTE]

spritely
8th April 2010, 08:47
I used a Gunson Easybleed to change mine.
I bled each corner in turn until the fluid ran clear, very easy job, just had to refill the easybleed after every corner.:icon_smile: