PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 1500 frame, need fiberglass!

ins0mn1ac
30th June 2009, 13:25
Hello, i am currently in the middle of a year long Frame-up restoration of a 1980 triumph spitfire 1500. The metal body had some very alarming pockets of rust in the usual places; the rocker pannels and battery case, as well as the shelf behind the engine. Instead of getting the metal work done on the body which costs a fairly substantial amount, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a fiberglass shell that would fit the frame. Or even if anyone knew what shells would be interchangeable. I've heard and seen jaguar, dunebuggy, and volkswagon shells fitting onto the frame, but i have not been able to find any sites that might sell these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chrislandy
30th June 2009, 14:08
www.rimmerbros.co.uk is a good source of british parts which are no longer available

MartinClan
30th June 2009, 15:05
Hello, i am currently in the middle of a year long Frame-up restoration of a 1980 triumph spitfire 1500. The metal body had some very alarming pockets of rust in the usual places; the rocker pannels and battery case, as well as the shelf behind the engine. Instead of getting the metal work done on the body which costs a fairly substantial amount, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a fiberglass shell that would fit the frame. Or even if anyone knew what shells would be interchangeable. I've heard and seen jaguar, dunebuggy, and volkswagon shells fitting onto the frame, but i have not been able to find any sites that might sell these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A company called Vincent used to make a fibreglass body for the Spitfire called the Hurricane. Very tasty it looked too. Still seems to be a register...

www.vincenthurricane.co.uk

Robin

ins0mn1ac
1st July 2009, 02:16
that site looks great, MartinClan, unfortunatley i do not see any prices, or even a hint that they are still in the bussiness of making these fiberglass shells. however i have e-mailed them with an inquiry and will let you know how it turns out :lol:

Perhaps I'm being too specific? I'm looking for something of a kitcar kit... perhaps i need some guidance in all of this, im a little new haha