PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic Software for the BMW (Carsoft?)

MartinClan
22nd August 2007, 12:38
Has anyone any experience of diagnostic software for the E30? I believe there is something called carsoft. It would be nice to take a look at the ECU fault codes (if any) as it was three years ago my engine last ran.

Of course if it was free or cheap it would be even better :-)

Cheers

Robin

Patrick
22nd August 2007, 13:19
I tried carsoft with ours, but all it did on Motronic was report the ECU stats. No fault codes. I'll ask Richard he got the box off eBay.

Rich
23rd August 2007, 07:11
I did get it of ebay, it came with the older style round connector (e30/e36 etc) and the newer square e46 connector & the carsoft software. I think it was a little over £100, for number of times I've used it so far its really paid of compared to going to a garage to have it checked out.

MartinClan
23rd August 2007, 07:25
I did get it of ebay, it came with the older style round connector (e30/e36 etc) and the newer square e46 connector & the carsoft software. I think it was a little over £100, for number of times I've used it so far its really paid of compared to going to a garage to have it checked out.

Thanks Richard. But can you do anything useful with it on the E30 - can you get the fault codes from the ECU? Patrick seemed to think it wasn't that useful for the E30.

Cheers

Robin

Patrick
23rd August 2007, 07:35
Unless there were no fault codes on our ECU, I don't think its useful for E30's. Richard got it mainly for his E36, works well on my E46 too. So unless you planning on getting a later model BM and working on it yourself its probably not worth the cost.

I can't remember how far away you are, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem trying it with the box we have.