PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack

Tim
10th July 2004, 17:21
OK so I have got the track rod end off the steering column side of the rack but I cannot find a way to make the rack fit in the chassis. Whatever way I try and fit it - it seems like the rack (around the housing for the UJ at the end of the column) is too big.

I tried lowering the rack down veritaclly and got closest this way but even if I dismantle the other end of the rack it wont twist horizontal cos itll foul on the wiper motor bracket.

Anyone let me in on the trick please!!!

Tim :eusa_wall:

dylanp
11th July 2004, 16:12
Tim,

Are you struggling to place the rack in the first place or are you struggling to put the rack in together with the bracket that holds it onto the chasis?

If so, I assume that your chasis is like mine and you need to cut the holes on the chasis through so that you slide the rack bracket onto the chasis bracket next to the UJ (as opposed to trying to push it through the two holes).
Also the whole rack needed a tiny bit of convincing with a soft hammer :-)

If not come back to us...
Dylan

Ex-Biker
12th July 2004, 15:52
Tim

I seem to remember it is the track rod from the passenger side that needs removing.

Don't forget the spline drive for the steering column needs shortening (unless you bought the rack from Marlin) and the bracket on the chassis (drivers side) needs 'slotting'.

If not sure PM me your email, I'll send you a couple of pics etc.