The Family 1 is a straight-4 piston engine that was developed by GM-Opel Powertrain, a subsidiary of Adam Opel A.G. to replace low-displacement versions of GM Family II engine for use on subcompact cars from Opel/Vauxhall.
First generation, features DOHC valvetrain driven by toothed belt and a cast-iron cylinder block with aluminum cylinder head.
- 1.4 L (1389 cc) (phasing out): 10.5:1 compression, 90 hp (66 kW) and 92 ft.lbf (125 Nm) of torque.
- 1.6 L (1598 cc) (phasing out): 79 mm (3.11 in) bore, 81.5 mm (3.21 in) stroke, 10.5:1 compression, 100 hp (74 kW) and 111 ft.lbf (150 Nm) of torque.
- 1.8 L (1796 cc): 80.5 mm (3.17 in) bore, 88.2 mm (3.47 in) stroke, 10.5:1 compression, 115 hp (85 kW), 122 hp (90 kW) or 125 hp (92 kW) and 123 ft.lbf (167 Nm) of torque. Later versions features variable intake technology.
Family 1 Ecotec engines are used in:
- 1996-2003 Opel Tigra
- Opel Corsa
- Opel Astra
- Opel Vectra
- 2003 Saab 9-3
- 2004 Chevrolet Viva
- 2005 Opel Zafira
Updated version introduced in 2002, with lighter cast-iron cylinder block and camshaft driven by toothed belt. Features EGR valve and TwinPort variable intake geometry - twin intake ports with a choke closing one of the ports at low RPM, providing strong air swirl pattern for higher torque levels and better fuel economy. The drive belt for the camshafts is wider and stronger than before, and water pump is not driven by it anymore which improves reliability.
- 1.6 L (1598 cc): TwinPort, 79 mm (3.11 in) bore, 81.5 mm (3.21 in) stroke, 10.5:1 compression, 105 hp (77 kW) and 111 ft.lbf (150 Nm) of torque.
Ecotec TwinPort Family 1 engine is used in:
- Opel Tigra
- Opel Astra
- Opel Zafira
- Opel Meriva
A new variant of 1.8L Family 1 engine, featuring Euro IV compliancy, DCVCP (Double Continuous Variable Cam Phasing technology, a variant of VVT) and ingegrated catalytic converter, will enter production Spring 2005. It is based on the lighter cast-iron block, although there's no TwinPort in this version.
- 1.8 L (1796 cc): DCVCP, 80.5 mm (3.17 in) bore, 88.2 mm (3.47 in) stroke, 10.5:1 compression, 140 hp (103 kW) and 129 ft.lbf (175 Nm) of torque.
Ecotec DCVCP engines are used in:
D-TEC was an older variant if Family 1 SOHC engine licensed by Daewoo Motors for their range of Opel-derived cars such as Daewoo Espero and Daewoo Nexia. These engines are built exclusively at Bupyeong engine plant. They feature valvetrain driven by toothed belt, in a DOHC configuration for most versions, and aluminum cylinder head.
- 1.3 L SOHC - Daewoo Lanos
- 1.5 L SOHC - Daewoo Lanos, Daewoo Nexia
- 1.6 L SOHC - Daewoo Nexia
- 1.6 L DOHC - Daewoo Nexia, Daewoo Espero, Daewoo Lanos
Updated version of D-TEC. Most models feature Euro III-compliancy, and 1.4 L and 1.6 L DOHC versions employ variable intake geometry.
- 1.4 L SOHC - European Chevrolet Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo
- 1.5 L SOHC, Euro II - Asian, Middle Eastern and South African versions Chevrolet Lacetti, Chevrolet Nubira and Chevrolet Aveo, CKD kits of Aveo assembled by ZAZ
- 1.4 L DOHC - European Chevrolet Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo, Chevrolet Lacetti and Chevrolet Nubira
- L91, 1.6 L - U.S. version of Chevrolet Aveo, European Chevrolet Lacetti and Chevrolet Nubira
Higher-displacement versions of D-TEC and E-TEC II are indeed Family II engines built by Holden.
GM do Brazil
GM do Brazil specializes on SOHC, alcohol-powered and FlexPower (alcohol+petrol powered) engines.
- C10YE - 1.0 L SOHC - Chevrolet Celta and Chevrolet Corsa
- C10YEH - 1.0 L SOHC - Chevrolet Celta and Corsa
- C14SE - 1.4 L SOHC - Chevrolet Celta and Corsa (old generation)
- C18XE - 1.8 L SOHC FlexPower - Chevrolet Corsa, Chevrolet Montana, and Chevrolet Meriva; Fiat Palio, Fiat Siena, Fiat Palio Weekend, Fiat Strada, Fiat Idea, and Fiat Stilo
GM Brasil also made 16-valve versions of the 1.0, 1.6 and 1.8-liter engines.
The 1.0L 16v was available in the Corsa line-up from 1999 to 2001. The 1.6L 16v was available in the Corsa GSi hatchback and the Chevrolet Corsa sedÃ¡n and station wagon GLS trim. Finally, the 1.8 16v with 122cv was avaiable in the Chevrolet Meriva and Fiat Stilo.