Are you madabout kit cars

   
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion
Search Madabout
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base

KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com
 

CATEGORIES (articles) > The Cars are the Inspiration > MG > MG TD History

MG TD History


MG T-Type
Manufacturer: MG Car Company,
BMC from 1952
MG TA
MG TB
MG TC
MG TD
MG TF

The MG T series of cars (including the TA, TB, TC, TD, and TF) was a basic body-on-frame sports car produced from 1936 through to 1955. It was replaced by the MGA.


TA

The MG TA replaced the MG PB in 1936. It was an evolution of the previous car and was 3 inches wider in its track at 45 inches and 7 inches longer in its wheelbase at 94 inches. The previous advanced overhead cam engine was now not in use by any other production car so it was replaced by a more typical MPJG OHV unit from the Wolseley 10 but with twin SU carburettors, modified camshaft and manifolding. The engine displaced just 1292 cc, with a stroke of 102 mm and a bore of 63.5 mm and power output was 50 hp (40.3 kW) at 4500 rpm. The four speed gearbox now had synchromesh on the two top ratios. Like the PB, most were two seat open cars with a steel body on an ash frame but it could also be had from 1938 as a Tickford drophead coupé with body by Salmsons of Newport Pagnell or closed "airline" coupé as fitted to the P type but only one of these is thought to have been made. It was capable of reaching nearly 80 mph in standard tune with a 0-60 mph time of 23.1 seconds. Unlike the PB, hydraulic brakes were fitted. Just over 3000 were made and in 1936 it cost £222 on the home market.


TB

The TA was replaced by the TB in May 1939 with the fitting of a smaller but more modern XPAG engine as fitted to the Morris 10 but in a higher tuned state and like the TA with twin SU carburettors. This 1250 cc unit featured a slightly less-undersquare 66.6 mm bore and 90 mm stroke and had a maximum power output of 54 hp at 5200 rpm. Available as either an open 2 seater or more luxurious Tickford drophead coupé, this is the rarest of the T type cars with only 379 made.


TC

The TC was the first postwar MG, launched in 1945. It was quite similar to the pre-war TB, sharing the same engine with a slightly higher compression ratio of 7.4:1 giving 54.5 bhp at 5200 rpm but using more modern interior elements allowing a wider cockpit. It was exported to the United States, even though only ever built in right hand drive. The export version had slightly smaller US specification sealed beam head lights and larger twin rear lights. Over 10,000 were produced, a large number by MG standards. It cost £527 on the home market in 1947.


TD

The 1949 TD combined the TC's drivetrain but with modified hypoid geared rear axle with the MG Y-type chassis and a familiar T-type style body. An independent suspension using coil springs in front was new, as were rack and pinion steering, smaller 15 inch disc type road wheels and a left-hand drive option. Bumpers and over-riders became standard for the first time. The car was also 5 inches wider with a track of 50 inches. In 1950 the TD MkII was introduced with a more highly tuned engine with 8.0:1 compression ratio giving 57 bhp at 5500 rpm. Nearly 30,000 TDs had been produced when the series ended in 1953 with all but 1700 exported.


TF and TF 1500

Essentially a stop gap car until the new range starting with the MGA could be produced, the TF launched in 1953 was a facelifted TD with a sloping grille and the headlights in the wings. The external radiator cap was now a dummy as a pressurised system was fitted to better cope with hot climates.

In 1954 the engine was re-designated XPEG and enlarged to 1466 cc by increasing the bore to 72 mm giving 63 bhp at 5500 rpm and the car designated the TF 1500.

The last cars were made in 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA after approximately 9600 were made including 3400 of the TF 1500.

The TF name was reused in 2002 on the mid-engined MG TF sports car.




Related Articles

CATEGORIES (articles) > The Cars are the Inspiration > MG > MG TD History

 
Search for keyword     



This content from Wikipedia is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.


copyright madabout-kitcars.com 2000-2017
terms and conditions | privacy policy