Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 14th January 2017, 15:59

deggsy is on a distinguished road

I started modifying the inlet manifold the carb side was quite easy only a small amount of metal to take off but the head side ho boy in the end I used a stepper drill opening up the ports to 32mm then grind them flush.

When I removed the twin carbs I found out the manifold gasket was blowing in about half a dozed places probably why I couldn't tune them but being a stubborn git? I will press on with the single carb setup.
Once I now it is running properly I will sell the twin carb setup should be a nice buy for someone as it will come with stainless steel heat shield and filters.
Available from eBay
Old 21st January 2017, 16:13

This is my new carby setup a single 1.3/4 Su running but not properly yet I need a different needle and jet and having issues getting the right ones in the mean time ill have to make a throttle bracket for it.
also started planning the flip up bonnet brackets.

I will update you on them later.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:16

Getting there slowly!
Old 1st February 2017, 20:39

Started making the brackets for the bonnet I have also got a pair of locost suspension arm bracket ends which will be the swivels unfortunately the bonnet is quarter mile away in a lockup so cant be finished until I get it into my garage.

I couldn't get the right needle for the 1. 3/4 su then this came up on eBay it cost £100 less than just the inlet manifold and linkage for my side draught weber so I bit the bullet and went for it just waiting for some stainless pipe and it will be done.

I've got a sneaky feeling I'll have to put a bonnet bulge in though
Trouble is I bust my budget so I'll have to sell a few bits and pieces ho joy soon
Old 2nd February 2017, 06:51

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Keep up the good work and don't worry too much about adding the odd bulge or scoop. Racing cars of the period are often covered in them as the car was dynamically developed in the pits. At risk of getting into a silly 'I've found one with more scoops' arms race, I'd say the inspiration for my Spyder, the Lancia D24, probably has the most afterthought holes, scoops, flaps and bulges that I've come across -

Period pictures also show that these cars often ran with a radiator blind, which looked suspiciously like half a dustbin lid, blanking off half the front grille, presumably for use in cold weather.

Looking round the 50's race cars at Goodwood, Snetterton etc., the bodywork and paint on the originals often really isn't very good. After all, they weren't intended as show quality cars, they were built to win races.
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:58

Very true the odd bulge or intake here ant there adds a bit of character to the cars.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:22

Finished making the bonnet brackets today looks good but

as always with welding thing move due to the heat and where as it all fitted perfectly before I now have gaps which will have to be filled somehow before the bonnet can be bonded into place

I did think of cutting and welding again but that could make things worst??
I couldn't get a decent photo of the bonnet in place the garage is to small but It looks too high so a bit more suspension lowering may be needed (at a later date)
bye for now
Deggsy
Old 16th February 2017, 16:26

The bonnet is lined up and partially glassed into place lot's more glass fibre reinforcing to be added over the next few days, and a bonus there is enough clearance for the carb (just)

Old 4th March 2017, 16:54

I managed to finish reinforcing the bonnet supports today it was done with a combination of fibreglass paste and 3" woven glass tape for added strength.

Not very pretty but it will look better after spraying with some body guard (I hope)
Old 4th March 2017, 17:53

So long as it's strong enough does it really matter what it looks like?
Old 4th March 2017, 18:03

Only time will tell on that one Mr.T
Old 4th March 2017, 20:18

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I would use more csm and take it a lot further out to spread the load. A large bonnet like yours will act as a lever, just a strong gust of wind when in the upright position could cause cracks or failure. I would introduce some metal rod to stop any flexing.
Old 4th March 2017, 21:51

Thanks for the input I can still add some bracing rods by welding them to the bottom square bar if required more work again doh! You are right though just ignore my winging cheers. deggsy
Old 5th March 2017, 05:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I meant embed some metal rod in the GRP and spread the GRP further out to try and stiffen the area to prevent it cracking at a later date.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:13

The Sammio way was to bond and 'glass a steel hoop into the oval 'mouth'.

The brackets are welded to the hoop and on mine the chip cutter grille, which is very heavy, is also bolted to the brackets. It makes for a very strong, integrated bonnet bracket that hasn't caused me the slightest problem in four years on the road -

Maybe something similar could work on the A352 grille opening?

Last edited by Mister Towed; 5th March 2017 at 09:18..
Old 5th March 2017, 11:54

Thanks for the info my setup is similar except the steel hoop is bonded into the bonnet it should work ok? but I can reinforce it if required.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:16

I bought a pair of long driveshaft's yesterday on eBay they are off a gt6 and will need a lot of work i.e. cleaning and the flanges are the too big and I will have to source longer tie rods but with the spacers they should bring the rear wheels out just right? When I get round to installing them I can take the top leaf out of the swing spring as well.
Old 16th March 2017, 18:30

After weeks of sanding the headlamp mounts well ok it was days or hours over lots of days I finally got them fitted, you can't see it in the photos but they look a bit squint I'm not cutting them back off after all my hard work so a bit of packing out will be required to align the headlamps.

It wont be seen so will be ok.
Now for the disaster as I have been unable to get the engine running smoothly
I borrowed my compression tester back of a friend of mine (he's had it for years) did a test and yuk piston one 100lbs two 106lbs three 130lbs four 140lbs did a wet test and they were all over 200 so ring or worn bores, so if you'll excuse me I'm going to have a good scream in the corner.
Old 18th March 2017, 08:34

Yahoo I finally got the engine running smoothly there was a problem with the linkages on the weber the secondary barrel was opening first and the primary just a little bit I reversed the setup now she's running fine even with pistons 1&2 being down a bit on pressure. result yes
Old 18th March 2017, 14:21

I have just finished making the bonnet prop it is made up of nine pieces not counting the bolts & nuts I could have made it simpler but this one has quite a bit of adjustment if required.

The reinforcing bar is 1m x25mm x4mm which is bonded in with glass paste then three layers of woven glass tape I might add more glass matting later (I ran out) for extra strength.