Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 4th April 2020, 17:01

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Moving on, I've been fitting the numerous bolts in the front wing (I think there are 15 or so) which takes some ingenious yoga positions to reach some of the nuts and bolts.
....peter
A dodge that I have used to good effect in the past is to use Evo Stik! Option 1 is to put a smear of it in a socket, then pop the nut or bolt in the socket and wait 5 minutes. You can the manoeuvre it into position, even downwards, while fitting the opposite bolt / nut into position. Option 2 is to Evo Stik the nut / bolt, plus washer if there is one, into position on the body, if neccessary using a dummy mandrel and again wait for the glue to set a bit.

The advantage is this method is that the Evo Stik is strong enough for the fitting operation but easily shears away if you later strip down. Any remnants of glue in the socket spanner can easily be scraped out. Peter.
Available from eBay
Old 5th April 2020, 08:59
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post
A dodge that I have used to good effect in the past is to use Evo Stik! Option 1 is to put a smear of it in a socket, then pop the nut or bolt in the socket and wait 5 minutes. You can the manoeuvre it into position, even downwards, while fitting the opposite bolt / nut into position. Option 2 is to Evo Stik the nut / bolt, plus washer if there is one, into position on the body, if neccessary using a dummy mandrel and again wait for the glue to set a bit.

The advantage is this method is that the Evo Stik is strong enough for the fitting operation but easily shears away if you later strip down. Any remnants of glue in the socket spanner can easily be scraped out. Peter.
Thanks Peter, that is a good tip i'll try next time on the other side of the car.
My tricks include putting a piece of PVC insulation tape across the head of the bolt and then wedging the bolt or nut in the socket. The tape thickness is just enough to hold the nut or bolt in the socket while you position it through the hole and the tape holds the washer in place. I also use all my socket set extensions joined together to give me about 18" extension to my arm. It's difficult to show in the pictures but the front wings are so large (and beautiful!) that you can't reach both sides of the nut and bolt.
All good fun though..........