Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 25th November 2011, 17:52
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default We've made it in to Pitstop.................

David Cunnington has just sent me this response.........from Tampa

Mike
We leave Tampa tomorrow afternoon and via Philadelphia get into Manchester Sunday at 0845
.......then drive back home and get rid of the jet lag !

Whilst we've been away I've stayed current through the laptop and processed Pistop (Mike comment - is that a well oiled Pitstop! - his spelling not mine!) as well.
The mag, including your article and pics, has been proof read and the printers told to go ahead
with printing and distribution so you should have a copy soon !

Re my brakes, yes the pedal is hard and could do with a bit more movement and stopping power.
The car is R87 GDV, a standard Hunter, 2300 Ford dohc, 5 speed box etc. I have no idea of the
type of pedal box etc but we can talk when we are home again........if the cost is around £100
I may be very interested, assuming I have the ability to do the job, so please class me as a
"possible/probable" and I'll talk to you soon.

regards
DC

I'm pretty confident we can find a home for the remaining two servos. Alan Hogg has expressed a loose interest: Chris Cunliffe has an M50 Cabrio and certainly should be persuaded. Then there is Andrew Curtis near Crediton, with the Purple Sportster with an M50 who should be persuaded too.
Do we know who owns the blue M3 Sportster?

I'll be ordering another batch yet..............................?!

Mike
Old 25th November 2011, 22:50
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Do we know who owns the blue M3 Sportster?

Mike
Blue M3 Sportster??

I don't recall seeing that one? Do you have a picture?

Marlin have a Red M3 Sportster for sale, so maybe we should ask Terry if she wants to buy one to upgrade it.
http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/forsale/
Old 26th November 2011, 08:15
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Blue M3 Sportster??

I don't recall seeing that one? Do you have a picture?

Marlin have a Red M3 Sportster for sale, so maybe we should ask Terry if she wants to buy one to upgrade it.
http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/forsale/
Peter

Maybe I have made a wrong assumption, but there is a pale metallic Blue BMW Sportster, which has a flat deep rear valence and the M3 exhaust, plus BMW binnacle, which I thought you have commented upon in the past. It usually goes to Stoneleigh each year
Isn't that an E36 M52 M3?
I can't find a photo quickly, and am being hassled out shopping.................

Mike
Old 26th November 2011, 08:41
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter

Maybe I have made a wrong assumption, but there is a pale metallic Blue BMW Sportster, which has a flat deep rear valence and the M3 exhaust, plus BMW binnacle, which I thought you have commented upon in the past. It usually goes to Stoneleigh each year
Isn't that an E36 M52 M3?
I can't find a photo quickly, and am being hassled out shopping.................

Mike
Ah yes, your right, I know the one. Can't think of the guys name right now but he only lives a few miles from Stoneliegh.

Apart from chatting to him at Stoneliegh, i'm not sure if I have any contact details.
I think this is the one.......

http://www.msportster.co.uk/kit-car-...allery/page-5/

...enjoy your shopping!
Old 26th November 2011, 11:05
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Mike

I will take the spare chrome unit with adapter and long clevis, firm confirmed order.

I have sent you a PM re payment.

John
Old 26th November 2011, 13:52
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Added John back to the list.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioman View Post
Mike

I will take the spare chrome unit with adapter and long clevis, firm confirmed order.

I have sent you a PM re payment.

John
John

Thank you for stepping in for the 6th Chrome servo.
I intend to place the order on Monday, subject only to getting a Tech. Spec. sheet from MBM.
Who knows - we might all get an early Christmas present this year!
Mike
Old 26th November 2011, 18:56
Enthusiast

Default Servo Payment

Guys

Many thanks for the offers to send/transfer money.

I would prefer to take delivery of the servos, adaptors and clevis pins, to know the final costs before setting the final costs - you never know, they might end up being slightly less than you thought?

regards

Mike
Old 26th November 2011, 19:01

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road

Mike,

that is very good of you, just make sure that you are not exposed. I am sure all of us would be happy to pay a large "deposit" up front if necessary.

Thanks again to all those who have put so much work into this.

John
Old 26th November 2011, 19:15
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default Payment

Mike, again many thanks for all the work,I also am very happy to forward a large deposit in advance, and will obviously await to see what way you wish to get payment.I am confident no one will let you down!
Old 26th November 2011, 20:11

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

And so say all of us, thanks Mike
Old 28th November 2011, 10:43
Enthusiast

Default Adaptor Plate Thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post
Hi Jason / Mike. Just a thought about the adaptor plate thickness. From the dim and distant past I seem to remember that a thread should locate in a plate / nut etc for a thickness no less than the thread diameter. With 8mm studs holding the master cylinder that would indicate that the adaptor plate should be 8mm thick and not 6mm. With MBM quoting 1000psi line pressure needed for a disc brake set up that’s a lot of force being held by those two studs :-o What do you think? Pete
Peter

This should please you relative to your comment above.

Whilst checking all the details prior to ordering the servos ("measure twice, order once"!) I have discovered the closed recess in the Dual servo is only 6mm deeper than the projection from my master cylinder.Thus with a 6mm adaptor the two faces are flush (or may be just touching)
My Ford master cylinder has a 22mm projection: the servo recess is 16mm.
I am therefore going to increase the standard adaptor plate to 8mm thick to eliminate any possible interference issues with the standard Ford master cylinder I have.

If anyone has a problem due their master cylinder having a longer projection, I can get a marginally thicker adaptor (within reason, say 10mm or even 12mm), but please do check for yourselves the projection depth of your master cylinder from it fixing face.

Mike
Old 28th November 2011, 13:16
Enthusiast

Wink Servo "Samples" Ordered

Quick update:

I have checked with MBM that their Dual booster is identical to the one we have tried as a prototype, and as far as we can tell it appears to be good news. (I know the Yanks are supposed to speak the same language, but they don't!)

MBM have agreed to accept an initial order for 2 off Black Powder coated servos on the pretext that they are "samples" to make doubly sure there will be no problems with the main order. The main order will then follow on immediately provided there are no surprises.
Hence my wink to Stuart and John last week.

MBM advise they will be despatched today, and therefore I hope to see them sometime next week.

Once received and (hopefully) approved, I will then order the balance of 6 chrome and 12 zinc boosters for delivery the week after............and you should all get them in time for Christmas.

Keep your fingers crossed.
Mike
Old 28th November 2011, 14:13
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Good news and great effort!

My wife was wondering what to buy me for Christmas lol...

Robin
Old 28th November 2011, 18:14

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Mike. All noted re 8mm plate which is ok by me :-)

P.S. Did you receive my PM sent a couple of days ago re payment? First PM that I have sent so not sure if it went ok. Peter.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:29
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post
Mike. All noted re 8mm plate which is ok by me :-)

P.S. Did you receive my PM sent a couple of days ago re payment? First PM that I have sent so not sure if it went ok. Peter.
Hi Peter

I have sent a PM reply for you to check out.

Mike
Old 28th November 2011, 19:12
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I've not had a PM but let me know whenever I have a BMW master cylinder with the offset adapter to fit on the metro servo.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've not had a PM but let me know whenever I have a BMW master cylinder with the offset adapter to fit on the metro servo.
Hi Patrick

I do not want any money until we prove the samples are correct.
After that I am happy to wait untill I know the final costs before advising anyone.

I think it is likely you will need a new adaptor plate as the Dual booster (those Yanks have got me using their lingo!) has two fixing posts 3 3/8" apart (more Yank speak) = 86mm centres.

Also can you check the projection of your master cylinder into the Metro servo, please?
The MBM Dual has a closed recess which is approximately 16mm deep, and may be too shallow for your master cylinder even with a 6mm adaptor plate.
I will get 8mm adaptor plates for those with Ford type master cylinders, but would like to be reassured these will fit the BMW master cylinders.

Thanks for your input .
Mike
Old 29th November 2011, 11:29

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Mike

Like Patrick I have the BMW E30 master + adapter plate + metro servo. The projection on the master is 18mm so from your figures we should be OK with anything over 2mm. Therefore 6mm would seem to be ideal but I am happy with whatever comes.

Sorton
Old 29th November 2011, 11:39
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorton View Post
Mike

Like Patrick I have the BMW E30 master + adapter plate + metro servo. The projection on the master is 18mm so from your figures we should be OK with anything over 2mm. Therefore 6mm would seem to be ideal but I am happy with whatever comes.

Sorton
Sorton

Thank you for that information - it is very useful. It means I can go ahead with a universal thickness of 8mm, knowing they will fit the Ford or BMW master cylinders............and they will be a little more robust.

Thanks again
Mike