Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Old No.7 Builds

Old No.7 Builds 275 kits from Dan

Old 24th September 2020, 06:43

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Default Very long time between posts.....Boot lock worked out

Hi all,

I have been working away through Covid chaos and with some "new balance" i.e. a 3 1/2 day work week have managed to get a bit done on the car. Optimistic that Certification is weeks away and not months....

Finally got the boot lock worked out, was brave and cut away access holes etc to allow me to frame it all up/access parts and it has worked out.

The photos tell a lot of it, but basically I am using the original BMW boot key tumbler (minus the central locking), the original lock mechanism upside down (on the boot lid) and the striker plate fixed to the car.

Took a while, but the photos are off the whole system working, boot shuts and locks and open with the button push. Need to finish off fixing it all in place and finishing the frame in the boot lid/covering the mechanism. The wiring for the boot lock is also being run in conduit fixed to the boot lid..... Only slight downside is I had to change the exterior with a panel to hide the depth of the lock, but will fair it all in and blend so it looks better.....Shutlines also have to be worked on as they are a bit out just now..... Here ya go.

IMG_20200924_171748

IMG_20200924_171758

IMG_20200924_171810

IMG_20200924_171826

IMG_20200924_171835

IMG_20200924_171851
Old 27th September 2020, 01:44

Default Boot lock - Further

Hi all,

Further work on the boot-lid/lock.

Frame glassed in, boot tumbler connector rod adjusted for shape and fitted. Boot lock connector/harness is active so the light comes on as the boot opens. - But I have fitted a switch to shut that off incase it decides it wants to come on unknowingly. Plus it means I can have the boot-lid open, switch isolated and the battery doesn't drain. So can at least switch it on if needed to be on due I drop my lipstick in the dark recesses of the boot.
Signs are for me so I don't leave it switched on!

Of course needs finaling/box in/carpeting/boot lines etc but the boot works......

IMG_20200927_131659

IMG_20200927_131709
Old 30th January 2022, 19:14

So the latest in my saga, the car will be going for certification now on Feb 15th and hopefully a couple of days later back to me and NZ road legal...

As explained a few times the rules for LVV in NZ are different to what you can do in the UK, and just a MOT and a cert adjustment won’t cover it over here...

The car is at the stage where it is mechanically sound, all the requirements for cert such as fuel filler mods, door and boot locking, general structure and warrant of fitness lights etc are done. The bodywork is not completed and still has a way to go for fit and finish...Photos look ok but I have had some issues with shut lines/ door to rear quarter profiles as well as boot lid closure lines that are gonna need a lot of work prior to painting....I am hoping that mid Feb all that will be future work, I can enjoy the car for a few months on the road and a few pics from the Brit and Euro car show in Mar will happen. (As long as the show goes ahead under our current COVID settings etc). Fingers are crossed.....
Old 30th January 2022, 20:13

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default welcome back

Hi welshkiwi,
Good to have you back on the forum.
Best wishes with your NZ certification.
Regards,
Kidge
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egdik View Post
Hi welshkiwi,
Good to have you back on the forum.
Best wishes with your NZ certification.
Regards,
Kidge
Thanks Kidge, I have a bit of catching up to do with all the forum and a bit of catching you guys up with my efforts....Will endeavour to do that over the next few weeks as you can imagine the car is getting a bit of focus so will be good to bind all the info together. Cheers and hope your car has been everything you needed over this weird last few years!
Old 20th February 2022, 03:12

Small update, the car has been inspected by the Low Volume Vehicle (LVV) certifier and has passed.
Just got to wait for processing of all those docs etc at Head Office at Wellington and I am clear to get my WOF pass, restart the rego on the car and I am road legal. Interesting process that now means I have a data chip on the car that can be scanned and show any WOF inspector, certifier or police the photos of the car etc as it was certified...Fingers crossed that data chip is activated as certified in the week ahead and I am good to go. Photos to follow once on the road and in the sun!
Old 20th February 2022, 19:55

redratbike is on a distinguished road

well done huge step forward

bows the time to get out and enjoy it
Old 9th April 2022, 03:13

Well guys I am sat here waiting with hope, maybe the same that you have been that I would put an update on with pics from the last of the NZ sun!

My hope is due to the fact that Wellington LVV withheld finalising the cert due to two issues. Seatbelts and Roof support...
1. Seatbelts - as I has removed the airbag and pretensioners, I needed to fit what is called “web grabbing” seatbelts for the Low volume vehicle regs, determined as req’d as I am above 700mm but below 900mm for impact zone A. Essentially what your nogging will hit in a frontal impact forcing you forward. Issues were these are no longer able to be sourced as were a 1999 onwards requirement and not used that much so manufacture ceased. So in a nutshell that is sorted after about 4weeks of deliberation and back and fore. I meet cert pass standards with what I have, but the regs need updating.
2. Roof support (cage bars) this was always a grey area as NZ rules stipulate a car can only have a rollcage/bars etc if fully homologised and the car is modded for Motorsport regs...of course this car is not that and the roof bars are not a roll cage in the full sense. Again deliberations had and with a slight reclassification of the bars being a roof support and requiring to be boxed in/hidden into the roof structure, agreement was reached to pass cert.

So in a nutshell I am still off the road, sent all the photos off for final inspection of the roof/headlining/box in and hopeful my cert gets finalled this week and I can WOF and Rego the car before Easter long weekend and finally get off driving!
If it was easy everyone would be doing it hey? Cheers.......

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 9th April 2022 at 03:15..
Old 9th April 2022, 09:13

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Well done

Seems like common sense is prevailing there.

All the best for motoring in NZ in the coming months.

We'' raise a glass in toast !
Old 9th April 2022, 20:29

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are nearly there so well done to get to this stage. I thought you had everything sorted back in Feb, were the extra issues picked up later ?

Just glad the rules over here are far more relaxed !
Old 9th April 2022, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Sounds like you are nearly there so well done to get to this stage. I thought you had everything sorted back in Feb, were the extra issues picked up later ?

Just glad the rules over here are far more relaxed !
Thanks LLM, yeh the local certifier was happy and we had the discussions along to way during the build etc, but as you know once the finalised position needs to be agreed and with the central body relating to the cert, a few more questions were raised and then solutions etc worked thru.
Yup you guys are a little luckier with the rules over there, but my cert guy does reflect that he could have dealt with the seatbelt issue a bit more upfront.
Old 9th April 2022, 23:16

Default Final thoughts have changed.

I have changed a bit how the car will look in its final dress.

Will need a lot of work getting the bodywork how I want it to be, but going to head for a 1960 Lemans style racer with stripes/roundels etc... cheers.

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 9th April 2022 at 23:20.. Reason: Keeps scrubbing text off my post!
Old 12th April 2022, 09:22

Default Large thanks to all for advice and Chris/Dan @ Old No7

Well guys, the title says it all, but I just want to take time to thank Chris and Dan for their inputs and modification/manufacture of the 275 kit way back sometime when we were all less grey!

I also want to thank everyone who has offered advice and thoughts over the journey, it shows me clearly that there is still a passion that burns in the community of kit/custom builds and not diluted by off the shelf bargains imported from a overstocked auto global supply chain.

My car is road legal and making noise around NZ roads. At last! A bit of stormy weather over the next few days in NZ might stifle the trips, but as soon as out on the long weekend I will post some pictures in the Auckland environment. Stage 1 complete!

I still have a bit of work to do on the bodywork prepping for its final looks and style, (Stage 2) but will work a bit at a time, allowing me to keep it on the road whilst doing it.
1st step is the bonnet, removing the flash lines, tidying the shark vents and nose ready for a blast of primer... A happy boy who questioned his sanity at times relating to some of the challenges of doing this 12k miles from Dorset and requiring LVV NZ regulations, but at last breathing easier with smiles on his dial...
Old 12th April 2022, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egdik View Post
Seems like common sense is prevailing there.

All the best for motoring in NZ in the coming months.

We'' raise a glass in toast !
Thanks Kidge, I got there.... just wanted to thank you directly, for your help and support thus far and of course your dedication to get this acorn started at Tribute/Old No 7 originally. Without your persistence and original money outlay this wouldn’t have got off the ground.
Now a custom/unusual car which is 1 of 1 in NZ and I am sure loads will want to see/discuss whether in current garb or eventual show/shine mode....cheers!

Pity your has been on sold but wish you all the best in future projects....

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 12th April 2022 at 23:03..
Old 13th April 2022, 20:39
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Nice, well done, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Old 14th April 2022, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Nice, well done, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Cheers Big Cheese! Appreciated.
Old 14th April 2022, 06:27

Default The first trip out

Hey guys,

Here's my 1st photo captures, you can see the body needs a bit of work, but after only trip I have had "That must be a Porsche 9 something?" or "What year is that car".....So it must be doing something right!

If you are wondering what that "patch is" on the R/H side, that was the quick fix for the hole that was left when the fuel filler was moved for the 4th and final time! It will get sorted during Stage 2.

IMG_20220414_150305

IMG_20220414_150244

IMG_20220414_150231

IMG_20220414_150216

IMG_20220414_150202
Old 14th April 2022, 08:22

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Top Work! Congratulations on 'completion' .

Regards, Mick
Old 14th April 2022, 08:59

kon is on a distinguished road

Nice work, that looks brill!
Also, love the number plate
Old 15th April 2022, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
Top Work! Congratulations on 'completion' .

Regards, Mick
Thanks Mick appreciated. Its has been a long drag and most of it my fault! But the energy you get putting it on the road is immense and certainly helping me attack the next Stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
Nice work, that looks brill!
Also, love the number plate
Thanks Kon, yeh the number plate was on the donor when I bought it, quite fitting now tho as he car is "Free" of it's ZD heritage somewhat.....I am looking at other options for a plate, but will wait until that is the final piece of the dress....Cheers.

Done another 200kms in the car today and it is working sweetly. Exhaust noise is noice, but can be a little drony around the 1500 to 2300 rev range if the throttle in a bit hard....I have options in fitting some extra bullet mufflers in the custom part of the exhaust which may help....Trouble is it has a great burble/crackle when you back off the throttle, so don't want to change it too much....Trial and error again no doubt.