Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 7th January 2017, 04:49

Joe Laughlin is on a distinguished road
Default Question for my next project?

I'm new to the forum and I apologize if this subjects been covered, but I have poked around for about an hour and haven't found anything. I'm planning to build a 56 corvette convertible. I'm using an 85 corvette as a donor, I plan to use a Alston tubular chassis and a pro mod fiberglass body from Suncoast racers. I can't find any info on using these bodies for anything other than drag racers though. My plan is to drive it as a roadster, and maybe occasionally hit a road track to play. I'm currently building the engine using forged pistons, stroking it out to a 383, and will be installing a turbo. I haven't decided on the carb yet but I'm throwing out the crossfire injection. This would not be my first build as I built a 23 T-bucket using a 70 torino as a donor in the early 90's. And I've done a few off body restorations. I only question if there is a reason for not using a pro mod body as they seem to be much cheaper than I've found for"kit car" bodies, or is the only downside that they will not be mistaken for an original due to the front clip coming off in place of the hood?

And to answer the question I keep getting I'm not taking apart a perfectly good vette, I found two on Craigslist for $1200, one had a blown motor, the other would not go into gear, someone tried to use two to make one and realized he couldn't figure out how to finish removing the engine. If I do not go with the pro mod body then I'll have to make another decision soon so that I'll know my wheelbase. I'll be building another as soon as this is finished as the wife wants one too.
Available from eBay
Old 7th January 2017, 12:00

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Joe - Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, this subject is unlike to have been covered, as this is predominately a UK based forum, although we do have members who live in the USA.

Still, I'll try my best to help…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Laughlin View Post
I'm planning to build a 56 corvette convertible
First of all, nice choice of car.

Quote:
I only question if there is a reason for not using a pro mod body as they seem to be much cheaper than I've found for"kit car" bodies
Generally, a pro mod body shell will be designed for drag racing and it usually in the 'spirit' of the original, not a 100% accurate replica.
( Note no grill opening, fake headlights, etc. )

They may also put the 'lightness' of the body shell ahead of a long life expectancy, so the fibreglass may be thinner.
( Which may also account for it being cheaper, as less material has been used. )

So I guess my first question is do you want it to look like an original, or just a 'cool' car to drive around and enjoy?

Do you want the car to look 'stock' or are you looking to build it in a milder 'pro mod' style?

Quote:
or is the only downside that they will not be mistaken for an original due to the front clip coming off in place of the hood?
Now, if I have to write 'hood' on American websites, you have to write 'bonnet' when posting over here.

Jokes aside, if you actually want it to be mistaken for an original, then you would need to modify the 'pro mod' to look the same.

In which case, you need to weigh up the time and effort of changing something vs. buying something supplied that looks how it should from the start.

Not sure that is a great answer, but I hope it helped.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 8th January 2017, 08:23

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Good observations there

Also is the promod body stretched to a certain wheelbase?

Literally just an outer shell no bulkhead or wheel arch structures etc.
Old 9th January 2017, 03:26

Joe Laughlin is on a distinguished road

The body looks like the black one. The spoiler comes with the kit but I wouldn't mount it. My plan would be more to have a fun car to drive around rather than have people mistake it for the real thing. The body's wheelbase is stretched two inches. The body does have the wheel arch structures, as well as a firewall and fiberglass replica dashboard. I found out they also have an option with a bonnet instead of a removable front clip. The kit also has a option to get the grill openings. Original or aftermarket headlights and chrome fit the body. I think I covered all the questions that I was asked about it. Thanks for the adviser.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:46

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are good to go I like the idea of a classic shape but with an updated look and running gear.....post up with progress when you get going