Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 13th September 2012, 19:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody got a spare gearbox?

I know this will be a slim chance but thought I'd ask anyway....

I'm doing a kind of 'proof of concept' to see if I can fit a BMW M52 2.8i engine and gearbox in my Sabre.
So I need a BMW M52 or M50 gearbox to see if I can make it fit.

Does any of you out there have a spare gearbox that I could borrow (or buy?). Condition is not important as it is just for a physical fit test.
I will look after it and I will return it after my tests if you require.

thanks, Peter
Available from eBay
Old 13th September 2012, 21:20
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Have you got a workaround for the ECU / immobiliser code issue that you had with the M52 you where considering sticking in the sportster?
Old 16th September 2012, 10:03
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Have you got a workaround for the ECU / immobiliser code issue that you had with the M52 you where considering sticking in the sportster?
Hmmmm, well I'm not entirely sure, but "I have a cunning plan" !

The M52 engine I bought before was a dual VANOS and was from an e46 car and despite what the seller assuried me, it did not come with a full matching set of ECU, immoboliser, etc.
The plan this time is to source an M52 from an e36 car which seems to have less complex immobiliser security than the e46 version.
I'm also weighing up the pro's and con's of just buying an engine and gearbox versus a whole car. If I buy a whole car that is still running, I can be sure to get all the electronics I need and possibly recoup some of the costs by selling the wheels, diff, interior, etc. The downside of stripping another donor is the time and space required. (I think I need to move to a farm with multiple outbuildings and barns )

But I have much to do before getting to that stage....

...peter
Old 16th September 2012, 10:48
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Peter

You good buy a complete engine donor package from one vehicle as I did for my Carbrio.

I used http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/ who supplied everything in one package when I was sourcing an M20 to go in my car.

They were mega helful, I just supplied a list of everything I needed including ecu wiring loom etc.. and they striped them from a single donor and delived on a crate to my door.

They also were insturmental in sorting things out with DVLA when I tried to register the new engine onto the existing Marlin V5 by providing all the requred information on the receipt to satisfy the jobs worth at DVLA.

John
Old 16th September 2012, 19:07
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, John.
I was not aware of this BMW breaker.
They certainly do look like a possible source and they have lots of interesting engines.

...peter