Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 27th August 2012, 19:33
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Sparks! Muwahahahah!!!!

And hopefully some stuck together steel at the end of it. I've just biught a second hand MIG welded, so I can finally learn how to weld.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1307519901...9#ht_959wt_922

Picked up today. It's a lot bigger than I expected it to be, but considering its a 30-180 A semi professional setup, with a big beefy transformer, I shouldn't have been too surprised.

Now all I need to do is get some gas, and start following the tutorials on the mig welding forum.

Oh and get on and build my shed, to house my lathe and to give some where for the welder to live out of vikkis way. The garage is starting to resemble Steptoe's Yard...

HARRROOOOLLLLD!
Available from eBay
Old 27th August 2012, 21:41
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

That's handy to know when I need some engine mounts fabricated
Old 27th August 2012, 22:06
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
That's handy to know when I need some engine mounts fabricated
So what engine is to be mounted ? Its got to be something with lots of cyliders!
An M52 BMW, or even newer? A Jaguar, maybe?
Old 27th August 2012, 22:07
Enthusiast

Let's see if I can make metal stick together and not make it look like a tea bag in the process first.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:30
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
And hopefully some stuck together steel at the end of it. I've just biught a second hand MIG welded, so I can finally learn how to weld.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1307519901...9#ht_959wt_922

Picked up today. It's a lot bigger than I expected it to be, but considering its a 30-180 A semi professional setup, with a big beefy transformer, I shouldn't have been too surprised.

Now all I need to do is get some gas, and start following the tutorials on the mig welding forum.

Oh and get on and build my shed, to house my lathe and to give some where for the welder to live out of vikkis way. The garage is starting to resemble Steptoe's Yard...

HARRROOOOLLLLD!
Try to make sure that you run it off off a decent leccy supply. When I added the electrics to my new "shed" I found that the garage was fed with a 4mm cable - only OK for very short distances. It's suprising how quickly the voltage drops if you have a poor supply.

I noticed that the wender has a conventional 13A plug on it. This is actually not up to the job if it is a true 180 amp welder. Most welders operate at 24V as I remember which for 180 amps means sucking at least 18A (not allowing for transformer losses). You want one of those blue industrial thingies (technical term) which are good for 25A as I recall, and ideally with a dedicated feed to the main distribution box.

Robin
Old 28th August 2012, 12:11
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Try to make sure that you run it off off a decent leccy supply. When I added the electrics to my new "shed" I found that the garage was fed with a 4mm cable - only OK for very short distances. It's suprising how quickly the voltage drops if you have a poor supply.

I noticed that the wender has a conventional 13A plug on it. This is actually not up to the job if it is a true 180 amp welder. Most welders operate at 24V as I remember which for 180 amps means sucking at least 18A (not allowing for transformer losses). You want one of those blue industrial thingies (technical term) which are good for 25A as I recall, and ideally with a dedicated feed to the main distribution box.

Robin
So if half of Northampton goes off the electricity grid tonight we'll know what Jason has been up to.......!
Old 28th August 2012, 12:34

mashtun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I noticed that the wender has a conventional 13A plug on it. This is actually not up to the job if it is a true 180 amp welder. Most welders operate at 24V as I remember which for 180 amps means sucking at least 18A (not allowing for transformer losses).
It won't operate at just one output voltage though and will draw much less current at the lower end of the voltage range. Coincidentally, I Just took delivery of a MIG welder myself last week. Mine needs a 25A supply at the top end of its range but since it has 12 voltage settings it'll work just fine with a conventional 13A plug as long as I don't run it above setting 6 or 7 of the 12 (and that's good enough for ~5mm mild steel). That's certainly the received wisdom from browsing www.mig-welding.co.uk and borne out by my weekend testing.

Quote:
You want one of those blue industrial thingies (technical term) which are good for 25A as I recall, and ideally with a dedicated feed to the main distribution box.
IP-something or other? Blue is single phase and available in 16A or 32A variants. I'm planning/just starting a garage-to-workshop conversion at the moment and I'll be getting a spark in to fit a new consumer unit in due course. I'll be doing as you suggest and having a dedicated feed for the welder, almost certainly going to an industrial socket.

Mark.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:42
Enthusiast

I believe they're called commando sockets - we use them on all the equipment racks at work for the servers.

As for blacking out Northampton... I'll keep some 50p's to hand in case of emergencies.