Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2012, 23:36

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Servo fitting progress

I finally managed to remove the Metro servo today after a 3 hour struggle. Even with an access panel in the bulkhead the nuts are almost inaccessible and as always the worst one to access was the rusty one!

I had a couple of raised eyebrows about build quality when I found that the spigot diameter of the master cylinder had been hand fettled on a grinding wheel to make it fit the servo hole. Vacuum seal was by silicone sealant only! Also the packing piece in the master cylinder piston hole was a ground down nyloc nut (see pics).

Master cylinder has 23 on cast boss not 22 as previously mentioned. My fulcrum bolt has its head welded to the brake pedal so I am stuck for now with using the same offset setup with the new clevis. I shall put a spacer between the legs to give it some support when the nut is tightened. I will also re-use the offset packing washers to keep the servo in line with this horrid compromise set up.

The servo holes in my pedal box are so near the bottom edge that I will have to extend the holes inwards and upwards, not downwards. There are also two D-shaped cut outs underneath for spanner access, so that area is further weakened already (see pics). As the 5mm pitch difference only equates to a 2.5mm offset I am sure there will still be clearance under the bonnet when the master cylinder is rotated to get the rigid brake pipes exiting sideways & downwards.

Mike. Regarding your comments about fitting large washers I am thinking that if the dual servo is more “powerful” than the old one, so less pedal “push” is required, there should actually be less load on the pedal box but there will be a greater force (from the servo) acting between the servo and the master cylinder? Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spigot fettle.jpg (78.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Pedal box holes.jpg (70.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Spanner Hole.jpg (74.4 KB, 17 views)