Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2012, 22:06

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Looking at my old (E30 OE) m/c I find that the full travel of the shaft is 13mm and it would therefore be possible to cut 15mm off this shaft without effect on the seal. However, the circlip is tamper-proof so I have not been able to look inside.

On my new (after market) m/c, on the other hand, the shaft can be pushed in its full length. Similarly, the dual servo shaft certainly travels more than 13mm. The servo output shaft would also need to be considerably extended if the BMW m/c was used.

It would seem possible to bodge the two together but in my view it would look horrible and would be mechanically very suspect. Personally, I do not think it deserves further consideration.

The BMW cylinder seems to be 25mm inside diameter measured at the circlip. I wonder how critical this diameter is for pedal feel?

It occurs to me that, although the Ford m/c is the obvious answer, there must be an m/c out there that has the same stud pattern as the servo and would fit without any spacing? I will have to keep looking!

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone looked closely at the pictures of the new factory built M3 Sportster in Complete Kit Car Magazine. There is no sign of a servo or m/c in the normal place so I assume Mark has gone for a remote set up. I think the servo may be in the battery tray. Also, the exhaust is interesting with silencers down each side and rear tail pipes. I look forward to a close examination.