View Single Post
Old 27th April 2024, 19:59
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default A grand day out and other things.....

Last Sunday was Drive it Day so it seemed like a good excuse to go for a drive in the Sabre. I joined a local group on a little drive to a rather nice cafe and farm shop. It was an eclectic group of cars that turned up.

Drive it Day - 24.04,2024 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Drive it Day - 24.04,2024 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

It was a bright sunny day but rather cold. We wrapped up well and started with the hood down. First problem was the heater was not working! I was thinking the worse, had the heater valve failed, was there an air lock but later I found it was just the heater flap in the wrong position
After refreshments were taken we headed home taking the scenic route. This time with the hood up. This was the first time I have driven my car with the hood up. I was concerned it might feel claustrophobic but not all, it felt bright and airy with excellent visibility. This time we were snug and warm and eventually had to turn the heater off!
We stopped at the shops on the way back so here is the obligatory car park shot....

The obligatory car park shot. by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

We arrived home safely having thoroughly enjoyed our first day out.

Of course, there is some feedback and small list of things to do. One of the most over-riding things to address is the Sierra diff ratio is much too high and needs changing to a lower ratio. And the front suspension is too firm which means that speed bumps are met with a thump from the big tyres.
But the most immediate thing that needed to be addressed is the rear ride height was too low. Something was scrapping on the ground when going over speed bumps or when exiting a pot hole.
On returning to my garage I investigated and found that the rear silencer had been hitting the ground. Indeed, I had lost one of my nice chromium plated exhaust tips.

Ride height too low by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I looked at raising the exhaust pipe and this is not possible due to the size of the BMW silencer and the spare wheel well. Neither of these I wanted to change. Looking back at the discussions between builders in the early years when there were many more builders there was debate over whether Sierra or Granada rear springs should be fitted. Some opting for Sierra springs whist others fitted Granada springs. I have had a set of Granada springs in my loft for many years so decided to fit these to raise the rear of the car.

The Granada springs are about 30mm taller but slightly thinner wire diameter.

The procedure for removing the rear springs is in the Sierra Haynes manual. The most tedious part is disconnecting the drive shaft along with the inherent risk of rounding off one of the bolt heads but thankfully all were okay.

Fitting the new springs was a bit of a challenge as the exhaust was preventing one of the wishbones dropping fully. So I compressed the spring with my spring compressors and tied it with some rope.

Here is the spring tied compressed which allowed easy fitting. You can see the gap at the top of the spring. I raised the rear wishbone before untying the ropes.

The result is I now have an additional 70mm clearance at the back but I expect the springs to settle a little with time.

One other small issue was a known problem whereby the rear handbrake caliper spring was rubbing on the body tub. I relieved it a few millimetres with a flap wheel.

Rear caliper rubbing on body tub. by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Pleased with progress I had a cup of tea...........

New Seats by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Next I will trialling some new springs for the front suspension...........

..............peter