Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2012, 23:03
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
May be I have missed a point or I am incredibly thick but the servo looks to have been designed for the m/c to bolt directly onto it hence the two fixing studs. Now for those of you with the reservoir mounted on top of the m/c this creates a problem because the holes need to be further round so that the reservoir sits with its filler cap on top, therefore Mike has been innovative in designing and having made the new 6mm plate which now has offset studs to mount the m/c and at the time nobody new it was a sealed unit. This creates a small problem in that Jasons small extension has to be made to marry up the two operating faces between the servo and the m/c.
But...............for those of us who have remote reservoirs, if this new plate was not fitted and the m/c was fitted direct to the servo the new plate would not be needed and the servo and m/c faces should marry up ( more or less )
Are you still with me or is this gobbledygook ?
Hi Dennis
The new servo is American, and designed for great big master cylinders with great big flanges, with great big holes and a great big diameter. The fixings are also set either North-South, or East-West.
The European Ford and BMW car master cylinders are both much smaller. The flanges are not big enough to fit directly on to the new servo fixing posts, and do not align North - South, or East-West, but 22 degrees offset - hence the need for the adaptor plate - to allow the fixing posts to be brought in to a smaller diameter, rotated 22 degrees, and reduced in size (from 10mm to 8mm)
All will become obvious when you offer a car master cylinder up to your new servo. Pictures alone are sometimes misleading.

Unless you have a master cylinder with a great big flange and great big holes and .............?

Mike