View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:57
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
Your attention to details never ceases to amaze me. Every step you have taken in the build of this wonderful car has been brilliant. You sims to be fully conversant with woodwork too. Good luck with everything Peter.
Thanks Amir, I always try to do the best job I can within my capabilities but I am just an enthusiastic amateur so I don't always get things right first time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
A few small progress updates interrupted by a weeks holiday.

I've started on fitting the carpet underlay inside the car. I'm using 6mm thick self adhesive soundproofing. Easy to fit but a very time consuming process of cutting a paper pattern first to get the shape right.

Interior fitting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Also, I've now fixed the handbrake lever cover and cubby hole with 4 bolts and rivnuts into the top of the propshaft tunnel.

Interior fitting by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

In parallel, I have purchased my first tyre. After much pondering I've chosen a high profile 185/80R15 tyre to maximise the ground clearance and to get the right period look. I have bought just one tyre so far to allow me to check it fits the front and rear positions without fouling on any bodywork or chassis. They just clear the front valence on full lock.

Tyres by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The Ford Focus wheels I bought years ago have a different hub offset than the standard Sierra wheels so I have had to fit these 20mm spacers. I chose concentric spacers with longer wheel studs. Bit of a faff to fit as you have to remove the brake calipers to get the brake discs off.

Wheel spacers by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Fitting the wheel spacers required longer studs which required the removal of the brake calipers and discs.

Wheel spacer by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The keen eyed might notice a new jack in the background. The latest addition to my tool collection. An electric jack. I was a bit sceptical but it works really well and takes the effort out of jacking up the car.

Electric Jack by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

And the final check was to make sure that this wheel and tyre combination fits in the spare wheel well in the boot. I was pleased to find it fitted perfectly suggesting this is indeed the intended tyre size when the car was designed.

Tyres by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

That's it for now and I hope to make a bit more progress before our next holiday!

....peter