Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2012, 17:13

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

This is interesting as I had earmarked my local Screwfix as a source of Stainless Steel C'sk screws for the master cylinder. They list them as High Tensile Stainless but now I am thinking of reverting to Mild Steel.

Metal tensile strength differences aside, my understanding is that a high tensile screw is formed by rolling in the thread form so the grain pattern of the metal flows up and down the thread form, which makes the thread much stronger than a machine cut thread. In a machine cut thread the grain pattern of the original bar runs parallel to the axis and so will run across the thread form producing lines of potential weakness in the thread.

It would be interesting to know comparative UTS figures for Mild Steel and Stainless and if so what the material specs are?

Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Adaptor Plates (those who had a preference for stainless)

I have spoken to a couple of people, including fabricator/welders, who have advised against making the adaptor plates from stainless plate/thread, as it does not have the same tensile qualities as mild steel. Given that these are going to be highly safety critical items subjected to tensile load, I would not like to be responsible for supplying something which might fail (however small the risk), and would prefer to supply mild steel only.

I am quite happy to order and supply substitute mild steel plates instead of stainless, or refund those who prefer to get their own stainless ones made at their own volition. (I can forward a drawing if anyone would like one).

Please let me know if you are happy to go with the mild steel, and PM me your bank details for the £3 refund: or the full £12.50, if you prefer to source your own.

I apologise for any disappointment this may cause, but I am sure you can understand my concern/reasoning.

Very best wishes to all for the New Year

Mike