Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 13th February 2012, 19:53
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Concern about BMC4052 with rear disk brakes

I have a concern about using BMC4052 master cylinders with cars fitted with REAR disk brake callipers that I ought to raise.

The discussion above about brake pipes got me reading some more theory on Brake master cylinders and how they work. During this bit of self tution I found a reference to Brake Master cylinders designed for drum brakes have residual pressure valves built in.
According to this article....
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/
the guy reckons that if you use a M/C designed for drum brakes with disk callipers it can cause them to lock up!

Now the BMC4052 was used on pre 1988 Sierra's that were fitted with drum brakes at the rear (as far as I can tell from Brakes International website).
So I'm guessing it may have a residual pressure valve built in and the Master Cylinder is not suitable for rear disk brake callipers.

This may not be the case but I have no way of telling so I thought I should bring this to peoples attention.
My apologies to anyone who has bought one of these M/C but I'd rather you didn't fit it and have your rear brakes lock up