View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 07:26

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

PAULC ,
When you checkout the wheelbase and track measurements of your TVR , it is actually closer to the SAMMIO , the Chim. is about 90'' wheelbase , my car is 91'' , track on a Herald is approx. 50'' ( front and rear varies slightly ) and the TVR track is about 57''

Basically a SAMMIO body with a widening strip down the centre would fit your dimensions !

The Maserati's , ferrari's etc that were campaigned during the 50's were all around the 90-95'' marks approx. The Lancia was 94.5''...I'm using a SE5 Scimitar which is 99''......but then I'm not looking to replicate anything just draw inspiration from , so the extra 4.5'' doesn't concern me and is far outweighed by the excellent Scimitar base...The later , more readily available , SE6 models are 104'' long , this I feel is just a bit too much....My initial thoughts with the 'plug' body are to use the existing Scimitar floor , if possible and the original bulkhead cut down and moved back into position....I can then graft the quarterized SAMMIO bits in place creating quite a strong shell to work with ....front end will be made up as I go along.
If the project ever progresses from a one off ( time , interest and cashflow being the factors here ! ) I would probably mould it as a complete shell with integral floor and bulkhead to be a direct replacement for the Scimitar shell ( hence my use of their floor , they spent hours designing !!) and steel bracing bonded into the bulkhead to accept the stock Scimitar master cylinders , pedal arrangement etc. as well as being able to relocate the column as well....Keeping my Hot Rod hat on for a minute or two , this leaves a rolling chassis/bodyshell configuration that can accept any engine from stock or even a 1600 Cortina right through to an American V8 .....I'm thinking straight 6 Jag at the moment , but it is very early days...Like my SAMMIO , although they are being offered with a similar building method , no two cars need to be the same...

I am building 2 turnkey Sammio's at present ( I'll post some pics later ) but do hope to pull another Sammio body out and strip my SE5 within the next 3-4 weeks to make a start.....

I'll probably start a seperate thread when I do.....

Gary

Last edited by lancelot link; 30th July 2010 at 08:02..