View Single Post
Old 6th August 2008, 18:38
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi John,

Kind of agree and not....

Yes...if the cars geometry and dimensions were right in the first place then the springs and toe settings would not make much difference as the overall quality of geometry / chassis would compensate for the minor errors on track, toe, etc...

...but, as the car is too wide for its length (or too short for its width!) ....and the chassis is too flexy at the back....and the bumpsteer is wrong at the back....and the geometry of the susp pick ups etc is not the best.......then some of these issues need to be put right to help the handling.

John Dry's option is probably the best as it solves all of the issues...but a bit too drastic and dear for me (I aint spending more than £150!)

...so I reckoned by improving sme of the issues...i.e. the rear stiffness, rear and front bumpsteer and firming up the front (so that ride height isn't too low when me and passenger are in the car) will help.

Couple this with better alignment of the wheels and it's gotv to be better.

..as for the toe settings....following the Lotus Elise settings basically...if it's good enough for Lotus...it'll do for me.

I'll let you know the verdict!

ATB
Rich